PDA

View Full Version : Am I a dinosaur?

06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
While I own multiple presses, all are single stage.

http://i52.tinypic.com/xn8dom.jpg

fishnbob
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
If you are, then so am I.

Jim
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Same here.

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Is there something wrong with single stage presses? I have not found any reason to go to a progressive.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur as well.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

atr
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
and same here......

firebrick43
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
A star bullet lubrizer and no progressive??? It's the opposite to me. Takes a while to lube size bullets and no time to load the, that is of course unless I buy them. Why don't you pan lube so every thing is equally slow?

firebrick43
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Please note the above was said sarcastically!

06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
When it comes to being a dinosaur, I'm a proud one, and not just as it relates to reloading.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
BUT, --------------------------------------------

You sure do need to go too "PAGE #3" here under "Reloading Equipment" and check out, then build and use the "Under Bench Receiver System".

Looks like you have a two sided bench, which really opens things up, but for most of us, the receiver system is the true, "Cat's Meow"!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

mtnman31
06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Even though I have a Dillon 550 and a Lyman turret press, my two single stage RCBS presses see the most use. Not to mention, both those single stage presses wre hand-me-downs and hold a great deal of sentimental value. For me, reloading is as much about the enjoyment I get out of doing it as it is about supplying my guns with ammo to shoot.

Call me old fashioned, just don't call me old.

beagle
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Nothing at all wrong with single stage presses. I've loaded with one for over 50 years now and before that a tong tool.

It just depends on how much shooting and of what type you do. If it's IPSC or bullseye and you want a huge quantity of one type of ammunition, get a progressive.

If you fool around like I do and shoot 50 rounds of this and 50 rounds of that with all kinds of bullet designs, then the single stage is the way to go.

Guess i'm a dinysower too./beagle

Guesser
06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I decommissioned and sold my progressive press and all the components that went with it when I retired. I used it simply to save time, never enjoyed or fully trusted it, never had a problem just didn't like it. I now use four single stage presses. I use balance beam scales and enjoy doing it all "my way".

mdi
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I be one too! Reloading like this is like sipping a fine wine. Enjoying the subtlies. Creating custom crafted ammunition...

Le Loup Solitaire
06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Count me in. I often use three single stage presses in tandem; 3 dies in a row and move a case accordingly...a pull of 3 different handles and get a loaded round. Not really much different than a lot of other arrangements. Whatever works for you and what your needs are, do it. LLS

Kevin Rohrer
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
It depends on how you view reloading, the detail you want to operate at, and the time you want to spend.

I am lazy and decline to keep re-inventing the wheel, so to speak by, screwing dies in and out, and constantly resetting powder measures. My eight presses have a total of fourth-one stations available, not including my progressive. One set of dies are permanently set for each rifle and left in-place. Two of my three powder measures use removable drop tubes, with each set for a particular load.

EMC45
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I have 3 single stage presses. I have been ridiculed for not getting a progressive. I like it just the way I am doing it. One set up for rifle, one set up for pistol, and one set up for various other reloading duties.

Longwood
06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I have 3 single stage presses. I have been ridiculed for not getting a progressive. I like it just the way I am doing it. One set up for rifle, one set up for pistol, and one set up for various other reloading duties.

I have a little cheap Lee that I use for a powder stand but I also use it for other stuff like depriming with a universal depriming die before I clean the brass.
I also have a Rockchucker that I have had for over 30 years, and a new Lee Load Master progressive.

If I were starting over from scratch, I would probably get a Rockchucker or Lees Classic press and three of the cheapest Lee presses and a powder stand. Form a production line. I would mount them on the wall to the left of my loading bench, on their own shelf which would only be about 8" wide and just long enough to mount the presses where they would be easy to use. Put the first station on the left end of the shelf then when you got to the end, you would be at the corner of your loading bench. Beautyus!
Think of it, A loading bench with no presses and other junk mounted right in your way.:smile:

onondaga
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Naw you are not a dinosaur.

But, what do you do, walk around the table from station to station? That is a lot of walking . I'd make a turn table with that many presses, It would allow you to sit in one spot and use the turn table like a turret press.:kidding:

Gary

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Naaaa, just get an under bench receiver system. Problem solve, no holes in the bench, no cut outs, no grooves, just a nice smooth bench top and tools handy to use as needed! :bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deasry Ol'Coot

DCM
06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Nope you are not a Dino.
I own 2 Dillons and 2 single stage and have no plans on giving up any of them.
My best ammo is loaded on the single stage presses.
The stuff I shoot a high volume of is done on the progressives.
If I had more all my rifle ammo would be done single stage.

Ugluk
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
A turret table! Genious..

Of course you're all dinosaurs.. You're casting projectiles out of lead aren't you? At least you've learned how to use a computer, so the comet hasn't struck just yet..:violin:

Seriously, a lot of handgun ammo needs a progressive. Quality doesn't.
Cheers

thehouseproduct
06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
How do you keep the handle on the Herter's up?

flashhole
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I am a Reloadasaurus Rex - Three single stages and a Lee Classic Turret that I use mostly as a single stage.

Don't know why I'm not extinct but it seems my species is alive and well on this forum.

06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
The older press is a R. F. Wells. The ram has a groove milled around its circumference that engages a spring loaded ball bearing in the press body which keeps the handle in the up position. Luckily I found a shellholder adapter for the press, as it uses some type of screw on shellholder. It is only used for decapping with a universal decapping die. The Lee hand press serves the same purpose when something good is on TV.

flashhole
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
4306 - I like your island setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg

06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
The "island" setup allows me to fit alot of equipment in a small space. Though there is not much bench space left, there is room for loading blocks between presses. It also forces me to put things not being used away and organized!

giddyupgo55
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I see nothing wrong, and I have both. I use the single stage press for all my rifle loading.

RobS
06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
No you can't be a dinosaur, I see a star lube sizer on the bench. :)

.30/30 Guy
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I am a proud dinosaur. Hollywood Senior, Dunbar, Texan, and some others. I do use a Star sizer but that should be canceled out by a couple of Meepos sizers.

wallenba
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
My T-7 is little more than a single stage that allows me to switch dies quickly. And I always use a single stage for rifle.

jeff423
06-02-2011, 05:59 AM
I've often thought about buying 4 Lee Reloader presses and then drilling 4 holes in a 2x4 and using it for a handle. A 4 station reloader for less than $100.00. That way I'd have some money left over for shell holders. :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Ive got 4 progressives and two single stage presses and they all have there place. I still load my ammo for bolt guns on a single stage but sure wouldnt want to go back to loading AR ammo or handgun ammo on one. Ive got better things to do (Think shooting) then to sit there all day loading ammo. Giving up my progressives would be about the same as trading my truck for a horse and buggy. Both will get you there but how much time do you have to waste?

Wayne Smith
06-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Another dinasour here, too. RCBS Jr3, Holywood Sr., Bair Brown Bair, and Trueline Jr. Only the Brown Bair and the Trueline are more than simple single stages.

gee-gaw
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Here's another Dino.
Three RCBS JRs, and I load my PPC ammo using hand dies and an arbor press.
With that said, I've got a Dillon SDB and a 650, oh, and a Lee turret press. The Dillons are for pistol ammo and the Lee is for loading straight sided rifle cartridges. One of the RCBS JRs are set-up portable so I can load at the range... sure is handy when your workin-up a load.
Dino-Wayne

dragonrider
06-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I have about 10 presses, three progressives, three turrets, the rest singles. 75% of my reloading is done on my Rockchucker, 23% on my Lyman AA, the rest on Lee pro 1000's or a Dillon 650.

Artful
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Dinosaur - no, nothing wrong with single stage - heck I start out newbie's with a Lee Turret but only let them use it as a single stage. I own semi-progresssive (two dillons), Turret and several single stage - Nothing wrong with any of them just tools for the task at hand.

1hole
06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
"Am I a dinosaur?"

Naw, dinneysoars are all dead. But, if you bought that dark brown press across the table new, you are really OLD!

Shooter
06-03-2011, 12:01 PM
If you guys are dinosaurs, I must be a trilobite or horseshoe crab.
Although I have a Dillon SDB from action shooting days, a Tru-line Jr. and single stage presses, I do most of my reloading with Lee Loaders and Lyman 310's.

mdi
06-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Dinosaur or not, one thing stands out in your pic. That bench top is too darned clean! Needs some bullets, some die boxes (notice, none of the presses has dies installed), a few tools scattered around, a loading manual and some shot-up targets...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Char-Gar
06-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Bolted to my bench are four presses;

1. Herters U-3
2. RCBS A2
3. Pacific Super C
4. Redding 6 hole turrent

I guess that Redding keep me from being a full Dinosaur but I am close. I had a Dillon once and loaded my only double charge with it. Got rid of it PDQ.

walltube
06-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Bonanza Co-Ax does duty for all the bolt rifles.
An aluminium frame RCBS for Pat's check maker and Swede's gas check device.
Lyman Turret II for pistol.
Second generation Hornady auto press in semi-retirement.

None of the above qualify as pleisiosuarian, but possibly a bit Cro-Magnonish? They do have nice wall and ceiling paintings.

Beware of people with too neat a desk or loading bench!

ColColt
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I use an RCBS Jr single stage press, Ohaus DU-O-Measure powder dispenser and a Lyman 505 scale along with a Lyman M5 and still use a vintage 1970's Lyman 450. I retired my old Pacific C-press when I got the RCBS press many years ago but still have it. Dinosaurs are extinct-we're still kicking. I guess I'm just not "progressive".

seagiant
06-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi,
Well from what I've seen you guys are to neat and tidy! Here's a pic of my metallic bench and my shotshell bench. Notice that there are no progressives on the metallic bench!

LabGuy
06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Add an additional dinosaur. My one and only press, a Rock Chucker I got in the 1980s. I was dreaming about a Dillon last year, but got a Star sizer instead. I was fighting with bevel base lubing on my 450, all I reload is boolets, and my volume does not justify a progressive. But the Star did speed things up considerably.

canyon-ghost
06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Smilodon: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/carnivora/sabretooth.html

I started with one used RCII and updated, now I have the RC4 and an RC1 for priming. It's not walking too much if you have casters on your chair, well, and you're sober.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/reloadingtables2001.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/seatingbulletsfor41RemMagnum.jpg

LUBEDUDE
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hey, you're reloading, that's all that matters!

kmag
06-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think you are a dinosaur. I started loading on a Bear single stage C press. Still use hand dies and a hammer for my 6ppc, even though I have an arbor press. Have a Lee 3 hole terret and a Lee progressive that I bought from a friends widow about 8 years ago and have never put them on the bench. I bought them just to give his widow some funds, plan to sell them but never got around to doing it. Have a Dillon SDB and a 650. But, I have never been without a single stage loader. Have an old Rock Chucker that I will keep forever. If I could have only one press it would be a single stage. They will do anything that you need to do and will supply more good ammo than one man can shoot.

6.5 mike
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Count me with the dinosaurs, a lee to size with, but all the loading is done on a rockchucker I bought in a navy exchange in '74.

Little Big Oz
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Single stage here. No need to rush when enjoying my hobby.

dverna
06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Competitive pistol and shotgun shooters have different needs than "fun" shooters. We shoot more rounds in a day than most do in a month. Our needs are different. I normally load 500-2000 pistol cartridges and 1000-3000 shotshells per session. A single stage is unworkable.

I have one Co-ax for rifle loads and it NEVER sees a pistol die set; four metallic progressives: and two shotshell progressives.

Yes, you are a dinosaur but that is all you need - so be happy. If you ever shoot over 500 rounds a week you will advance from the Jurassic to the Cretaceous period. But the single stage tools will NEVER leave your bench.

Don

HollowPoint
06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I own two single stage loading presses and two turret presses.

All of my rifle reloading is done on the single stage presses and most of the pistol reloading I do on the turret presses. I do it in such a way that it defeats the purpose of the turret press design.

I basically use them as if they were single stage presses. Go figure.

For me it's alot easier to avoid accidental double-charges when I use single stage presses. I do one bullet at a time from beginning to end. It's rare that I'll use all the features of the turret presses.

I'm not really sure why I do it that way; I just do. I'm not sure how to explain it any better than that. It's just the method I settled into. Good or Bad; it's just a habit I guess.

HollowPoint