PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Lock N Load Classic Question

Saint
06-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I have had this press for a little over a year now but I actually use my Lee handheld most of the time since its easier to set. On the Hornady press as the ram goes up it will reach a point just before the arm stops where the ram will move down slightly and this is the biggest reason I don't use it as it makes it really hard to set up since most of my dies specifically say not to let the shell holder contact the die. On my Lee I just close the handle all the way and the shell holder is at the top of the stroke but I cant do this on the Hornady as this leaves the shell holder slightly lower that it would be at full stroke. This is the only bench mounted press that I have ever used. Are bench mounted presses supposed to do this, is there a reason why this would be a desirable characteristic of a press, if anyone here can give me some feedback on this or on your experience with this press I would appreciate it.

firebrick43
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
A lot but not all presses go over center. Nothing wrong with it, just screw in your die as you slowly work the handle in that slight range of motion until it touches then back off a 1/16 or slighty more of the die. Die bodies really don't matter in relation to the ram any how. The only die that has to be close is the sizer die and even it will stop short of sizing all the way to the rim and is of little consequence( except maybe high pressure 40s&w shot in looser chambers). All the other die are set in relation to the case mouth(straight walled cases) or the neck/shoulder for bottle neck cases.

StaTiK
06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I believe, and I could be wrong, that presses "cam over" to increase accuracy. The alternative is to have the ram hit a stop which can wear or be affected by how much pressure is applied. Remember that manufacturers are selling to a general public who demands incredible levels of precision and yet is willing to use a "cheater bar" on the handle to increase leverage (I've heard of this several times).

If a press does cam over, then design limits the maximum amount of ram travel and ham-fisted operators won't have a reason to stand on the end of the handle.

... or at least that is what I was told.

-StaTiK-

noylj
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
If I understand, the press ram, as you raise it, goes up and then, towards the end, somehow goes down?
If so, there is something wrong and you should contact Hornady. I have "cam'd over" my L-N-L and that is OK (might crack a carbide insert though), and the ram went UP all the way with no dropping down.