PDA

View Full Version : Why a threaded ram for an RCBS?

Utah Shooter
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Just saw a post that involves a threaded ram for the 1" RCBS press. I know that Blackmon dies use a thread on them. Not sure if they are to that of the post 1/2 x 20.

I am curious why someone would want a threaded ram for a reason other than that.

Red River Rick
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
To use the "M" style swaging dies. They have a 5/8" x 24 thread.

RRR

Utah Shooter
06-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh. Why the 1/2 x 20 then?

buck1
06-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Threaded base punch.

BT Sniper
06-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Just a number picked that could make any size base punch for CH dies without stressing the standard shell holder of the stock base punch design. Also CH offers a threaded shell holder with 1/2-20tpi should someone want to reload with the same ram. A 1/2-20 tpi just seemed to make sence vs. other options.

BT

Utah Shooter
06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Ok. Yeah it was BT's thread. So CH4D makes a threaded punch that size? Makes sense to accommodate the thread then. I was just curious of how that thread was determined and why?

I guess I can kind of assume that the RCBS ram as stock would not be as strong as a swage dedicated ram?

Nifty. Just another thing learned on the way.

b2riesel
06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Yea...the replacement Threaded Rams are MUCH stronger than the stock RCBS Rams. The stock rams have a huge amount of steel cut out for the primer system and spent primer ejection....plus a very weak top for the slip in shell holder. It makes a pretty weak ram when you are stressing it with swagging.

Now...with a solid steel...and much stronger steel than the RCBS soft steel...and BT made me a very nice bottom punch that rolls the edges of the 9mm to 40 S&W....cups the edges of the brass head and gives me just a weeee bit more room between the Boolit and the powder...and makes my bullet feeder work smoother. The combination is strong as hell...and if I need to reload...I can slip in the threaded shell holder and away I go.

I also bought the Hornady upgrade kit that allows me to use the quick release die bushings on my RCBS IV. For $14.99 you can't beat that deal that saves a ton of time on die setup.