PDA

View Full Version : Annealing Cases in Sand

doubs43
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure where to ask this so if it's moved, I'll understand.

Has anyone tried annealing cases in heated sand? I'm thinking that a small cast iron pot with white sand heated to maybe 800 degrees would work to anneal cases by inserting mouth first to the proper depth. Heat would be consistent for the full diameter and time could be regulated closely for best results.

Thoughts anyone?

CATS
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
I would not, unless you plan to turn the cases into boolits. If you plan to reload the cases you may get heat where you do not want it or to little where you do.

nanuk
05-31-2011, 11:40 PM
I think it is not going to transfer heat fast enough, so the heat will travel UP to the head where you do not want it.

I think this would be less effective than a lead dip

doubs43
06-01-2011, 01:46 AM
I think it is not going to transfer heat fast enough, so the heat will travel UP to the head where you do not want it.

I think this would be less effective than a lead dip

I've never tried lead dipping. Does the lead stick to the cases?

lead-1
06-01-2011, 03:52 AM
I haven't been able to get any method of annealing to work satisfactory but my experience with lead dipping was a mess and wasted time. I tried dipping six different cases and the lead stuck to the cases inside the mouth and out.
I won't say it won't work but it doesn't for me.

Brasso
06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
According to the late George Nonte, the case necks should be dipped in oil first and flick off the excess before lead dipping. This is supposed to keep the lead from sticking. I've never tried it so can't vouch for it.

Sam

Jim
06-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Recommended reading. (http://www.lasc.us/CartridgeCaseAnnealing.htm)

montana_charlie
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
...and ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbRdJqyFDGY

CM

doubs43
06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Obviously the sand method isn't practical but I now have some good ideas and information to work with. I'll let you know what I finally do.