PDA

View Full Version : Custom BTSniper 40 cal one step dies

BT Sniper
05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Been a long process but I expect we will be seeing some results very soon. I was told I can expect my custom reamer around the 13th of June, about 2 weeks from now. This delay on the custom reamer was a bit unexpected but hopfully will be worth the wait.

This cusom die will differ slightly from the CH die I have offered in the past in that it will have a more appropriate nose legth of around .250 vs. the overly long nose of the 40 cal CH die. The rest of the design will be the same using the same heavy duty internials I offer in all my dies.

I plan to keep everyone posted of the progress on this die and I expect it to be a great impovement in design for some great 40 cal bullets.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

Rangefinder
05-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Man, my wife is gonna make me sleep on the sofa for a month when you finally twist my arm enough to get all these new toys... Wonder if she'll just kick me out to the shop instead? THAT would at least be productive... LOL

BwBrown
05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Rangefinder,
I know of what you speak.
Not sure where I read it but, it has been said...

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it."

Bob

PatMarlin
06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
"my greatest fear is that when i die, my wife will sell all my stuff for what i told her i paid for it."

bob

lol......

BT Sniper
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Been on the phone with custom reamer shop all month. Seems I may have bothered them enough and they said it will be ready to ship Monday the 27th.

I'll keep you all posted.

BT

MakeMineA10mm
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Guess what today is?!? [smilie=1:

BT Sniper
06-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Yep I got conformation it was shipped today :)

Think it was March when I sent them the plans.

I expect to make first die by end of week if all is well with the reamer.

I'll keep you all posted.

BT

scrapcan
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
good to hear you are moving in the right direction, now to start saving my change.

mactool
06-28-2011, 02:58 PM
thats good to hear. I cant wait :-D

BT Sniper
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
IT'S HERE! IT'S DONE! IT'S PERFECT!

:guntootsmiley:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050558.jpg
Loaded rounds standing up from left. Standard CH-4d bullet, Federial Premium Personal Defence, BTSniper custom notched and BTSniper custom lead tip. Notice how the standard CH bullet has to be seated deeper because of the long nose. Notice how similar my custom bullets are now to the expensive factory Federial offerings. Notice how small the factory notches are!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050555.jpg
Pic of the family. New notching die is really working well with my new custom 40 cal die!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050552-1.jpg
My EAA witness 40 S&W test platform. You can bet I'll be shooting some of my new bullets real soon. :guntootsmiley:

I'll have pics up today! They look exactly like the Federal Premium Personal Defence bullets I designed them after only better!

Tell you what I think IMOP... I think they are better then any factory offered bullets I've seen in 40 cal! Wait till you seem them notched!

The diameter is perfect at .3995-.4000! The length of the nose is perfect allowing us to properly seat the bullet without the ogive being below the mouth of the case! The overall length of the bullet (at 187 grains with wheel weight alloy core) is perfect, under .700, which I consider to be the max length in the 40S&W! The nose metplat is perfect at .250!

I am EXCITED to say the least! This has been in development for me all year.

I have over 50 dies ready to be cut for this 40 cal. Atleast 10 possibly 20 will be going to heat treat first thing after the holiday.

With great pride and confidence I am accepting orders at this time.

Please refer to my BTSniper Custom Tool and Die sticky for current prices and offers.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117577

My custom notching die and 40 cal expanding mandrel is HIGHLY recamended too!

Guests of this sight please feel free to join or you can email me at BT_Sniper@hotmail.com

These dies are superiour in design to the Ch dies IMOP and one member here has made over 15 K worth of bullets from that CH die and is still going. I expect very good things from this custom die.

My die is made from quality 4140 tool steel heat treated to an ideal hardness of 47 on the rockwell scale for maximum strength. Then it is case hardened on the the outer surfaces of the die, a special and expensive heat treat process called nitriding, to give the outer shell a harness of over 60 to eleminate ware and lessen the possiblity of scratchs.

Like I said I'll have pics up very soon.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I look foward to hearing back from all of you.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BTSniper

BT Sniper
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I expect to have first completed dies shipped by end of July possibly sooner. I make sure all my customers know that quality will always come first should I experience any delays on my part.

Thanks

BT

DukeInFlorida
06-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Brian,
Can I trade my OLD CH4D design dies in for the new and improved version????

:swagemine: :-P:

a.squibload
06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, why didn't you do this one FIRST?:kidding:

MakeMine: your birthday?

BT Sniper
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
You guys are great LOL. I may actually be able to swing some sort of "trade in value" not "trade for". We'll see.

It was only a matter of time for me to figure out perfection :) Want somthing done right and all that you know.

BT

BT Sniper
06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
pictures added in post #10

MakeMineA10mm
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah, why didn't you do this one FIRST?:kidding:

MakeMine: your birthday?

Nope. Not even my half-birthday, but it feels like it with BT getting these new dies out!

(I was actually referring to BT's comment in the post immediately above that the dies were supposed to ship to him that day.)

I'm glad I got the 44 one-step die first and waited on the 40-cal die. Now the perfect one is here, so I guess I know where my next paycheck is going... :D:lol:

BT Sniper
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Actually it was just the reamer I was waiting on. I machine the dies myself now. No more waiting for someone else to make the dies.

BT

sargenv
06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I really would like the new dies, but unfortunately until we know the status of wife's job prospects.. I'm stuck (not really stuck, I like the old ones) using the prototypes from CH/BT. I like the shape of the new one though.. At some point I hope to get the new ones.. it's great that someone (BT) got a kick in the pants with the old one to innovate new items for our consumption..

zaphod042
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
BT, would you summarize the differences between the .40 cal one-step die and the the two die set? Aside from the lower cost, why would we pick one over the other?

DukeInFlorida
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
DON'T PANIC!

I may be wrong, but the "new" .40 swage die is also a one step die.

Instead of Brian using the CH4D swage die, with it's long nose form, he created his own custom reamed nose, which mirrors the factory bullets.

The "second die" is the notching die, sold separately. That notching die can also be used to notch the original version of the one step swage bullet.

Apologies to Douglas Adams.

BT, would you summarize the differences between the .40 cal one-step die and the the two die set? Aside from the lower cost, why would we pick one over the other?

BT Sniper
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I'll clear things up a bit when I can. Late for dinner at the moment.

Simply put this one step die makes perfect factory copy bullets in only one stroke of the press and yes it is of my own design vs an improved CH die though it works teh same in principal.

BT

BT Sniper
07-01-2011, 01:53 AM

IMOP it has everything to do with how close the brass is to final bullet diameter and the fact that using just the point forming swage die just "works".

Generaly the core seat die (the one I skip) will seat the core and bring the bullet and jacket combination up to nearly final bullet diameter. Usually within a couple thousands. It is this core seat die then that is doing most of the work, or taking all the force allowing the point forming die to simply form the nose and bump up the bullet the last couple thousands to final diameter.

I have found that with better/stronger internials in the point forming die just as good of bullets INOP can be formed. Now I'm only talking about pistol bullets here and I only recamend the 40 or 44 cal be attempted in one step.

So for making bullets in 44 cal from 40 S&W brass or 40 cal bullets from 9mm brass the process works very well. No imagine trying to take a 40 S&W case that is .425 in diameter and bumping it all the way up to .451. To do so in only one step is awefully difficult and hard on your equipment. But if we use the core seat die it makes the task a lot easier.

I have also designed my dies to have a rather large and farily deep HP. This nose punch that forms the HP is also designed to push the core into the case before the jacket starts froming the ogive of the nose of the bullet. The bullets I make also take up the entire space avialble in the case inshuring a proper swage of the core inside the jacket with no voids. With say riffle bullets we can seat the core with a core seat die and then form the tip leaving a hollow cavity where the lead stops short of the tip of the bullet. That would be dificult to do and give poor results if we attmepted to make a riffle bullet without seating the core first in this case.

Again it is a bit different from the norm only using the point forming die to make the bullet and skipping the core seat die but like I said I can't tell the difference between a bullet made either way with the 40 or 44. In fact making a bullet of these two calibers with the jacket extending to the tip of the bullet is easier in one step then when using the core seat die in my opinion. The life of teh point formign die certainly doesn't seem to be affected as on individual here has made more then 15k worth of bullets using this method.

A long answer to say very little it seems as all I can really say is it just "works" and saves you $$$.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
08-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Went out and shot some of my new 40s today. Here is some pics of the results. I used a 120 grain .356 core insted of the 125 and like the results better. With a pure lead core the bullet weight was 182 grains. This also allowed me to put deeper notches in the tip of the bullet. Think I will set up and recamend all future customers to use the 120 grain cores in the 40 cals.

I did get some FPS results. Here is what I loaded.

Speer nickel brass
Rem small pistol primmer
W-231 powder
182 grain JHP bullets
bullet length was .688
OAL of loaded round was 1.20
Powder was thrown not weighed individually
Lee factory crimp die was used as final step
gun was EAA full size 40S&W

With 5.0 grains of w-231 I got average fps of 980
With 5.4 grains of w-231 I got average fps of 1045-1080
Really seemed get a pretty good FPS out of that 5.4 load yet primers didn't seem flatened. The 5.0 grain load is my "go to" load for these bullets.

Everything shot great and cycled fine. Only shot 40 rounds but any chance to get out and shoot!

Note: as is the case with any published load data use standard reloading precautions.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060026.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060027.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060064.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060065.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060066.jpg

BT Sniper
08-22-2011, 01:41 AM
For an interesting comparison google images for the golden sabor bullet!

BT

PatMarlin
08-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Those are to pretty to be real ...:mrgreen:

SSGOldfart
10-17-2011, 11:24 AM
sweet I got to learn how to do this:coffee::coffee:[smilie=s:

BT Sniper
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
IMOP it is the easiest bullet by far to make. As well as the cheapest with the low cost, to nearly free, 9mm brass cases used for jackets. Then all you need is 120 grains of lead for the core and you are shooting 40s&w/10mm for the cost of a primer and 5 grains of powder!

BT

SSGOldfart
10-17-2011, 02:13 PM
yes Sir I think your right,my son is wanting the 40cal as that's his favorite round,I've got tons of 9mm brass already,Humm can you send me a link for your video showing how to do this?also what is ones start up price I already have a RCBS-RS press to use for this??

Whistler
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Will the jacket hold up for 10mm Auto pressures and velocities?
If this can be guaranteed I will order one of these dies immediately! :D

mold maker
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
The pictures of BT's boolits are spot on. I have 3 sets of BT's dies and have had the same expansion with all of them. Yes they work in a 10mm. My Delta Elite loves them.
Ya better get your order in to BT, because the word is getting around.
Those are going to be some very popular dies, and you know how hard it is, for a one man show to keep up.

mold maker
10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
By the way you can also make flat, or round points, or most any weight boolit you want, with BT's dies in any heavy press. I have a LEE Classic Cast press set up with each set (3) of dies. No need for special presses or long wait time. The RCBS RC, and RC Supreme, also work great.
If your going to reload,,,,, you can shoot top quality jacketed, at cast prices.

BT Sniper
10-17-2011, 03:35 PM
10mm......Would be a great caliber of choice for this bullet IMOP. Take full advantage of the tough bullet the 9mm makes. I found a good deal on a EAA witness pistol for $300 so I shoot these bullets out of a 40 S&W with obvious great results. The recovered bullets pictured above I shot at velocity from 980-1050 from the EAA 40S&W. Now upgrade to a 10MM and........... WOW! I think the results should be AWESOME with the couple 100 extra FPS you would get from the 10mm. As far as the bullet holding up in the 10mm........ I would put this bullet up against any other premimum 40cal/10mm bullet availble on the market. The great thing about making your own bullets is you can custom make them to perform how you want. You want one to expand volently.... give it a XL hollow point and notch the jacket. You want tougher make it a FP. Anything is possible.

BT

BT Sniper
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Start up price is quickly recovered in the thousands of bullets you will make.

My 40 cal one step die is $225. I should have some ready to ship by Christmas or sooner. allready sold out of the first 10 I made over the summer.
A lee .356 6 cavity 120 grain mold and handels about $60.
Lee bottom poor lead melting pot again around $60
9mm brass...... nearly free
soft lead or wheel weight alloy.... again nearly free
any decent reloading press...... Should be in your possision allready if not the Lee classic goes for $74
ability to Anneal a lot of 9mm brass... $??

That should take care of basic needs. Not that bad cost wise IMOP. Less then the cost of a new gun. It is a hobby and like any hobby we can spend as little or as much as we like.

Now if you want to get fancy add my multicaliber universal notch die $125 and make bullets that rival the XTP versions.

Add a $35 expanding mandrel for the notch die and make easy prep work of the brass and the core will drop right in place.

With everythign listed above anyone would be able to make severial life time supplys of high quality bullets.

BT

Whistler
11-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Can any of the owners of the first ten dies write a review?
I am a complete newbie on swaging and like the idea of a one step die, however $225 is a lot for a tool that I have no experience with.

No offense to BT Sniper, but as he is both the manufacturer and seller the words sofar are biased. I repeat that I do not doubt BT Sniper, but would like words from users of the tools who might not be as adept and experienced in swaging.

GRUMPA
11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I told BT I would do a review for him, but as luck would have it winter is coming and I still haven't cut my firewood. And among other things that needed to be done. Now that I have a camera that works I can get in some half-way decent shots of what is done and how they look when finished.

Tell you what I'll get a review written and posted by this weekend.....GRUMPA

PatMarlin
11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
...winter is coming and I still haven't cut my firewood. And among other things that needed to be done. .....GRUMPA

Oh why does that sound so familiar? ...:mrgreen:

$225 is a lot of money, for anything but in swaging.

Mountain Prepper
11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
$225 is a lot of money, for anything but in swaging.

Is that like “dog years” - 7 to 1?

:-P

a.squibload
11-02-2011, 11:24 PM
...would like words from users of the tools who might not be as adept and experienced in swaging.

I never swaged before receiving the BT dies, learned quickly how to use and adjust them.
I'm allergic to spending my vast fortune but thought that the investment in tools
would be worth it in cheap bullets. It was!
All I expected was less expense over years of shooting, what I got was good performing bullets as well.
And they're HPs!

Do a search or two, there have several posts from BT's customers.

DukeInFlorida
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I have previously reported, but will do so again.

I have to sets of BT's dies: .40 S&W from 9mm and also a 44 magnum from .40 S&W

Both are the one step dies, and were VERY easy to set up and use. I believe that I was one of the first ten customers for the .40 from 9mm die set.

I was certainly one of the first ten customers for the 44 magnum.

I also have the notching die, and that is certainly one of the best features of this system.

The dies produce high quality bullets, and the results are very accurate and dimensionally stable.

If you are eager to make your own high quality swaged bullets, Brian is the go-to guy!

PatMarlin
11-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Is that like “dog years” - 7 to 1?

:-P

Yaw- it seems like everything is happening in dog years lately,.

harley45
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Can the dies be adjusted to make a 200 grain bullet?

BT Sniper
11-06-2011, 12:44 AM
YEP!

200 is easy. Here is some basic math for you. The typical 9mm case weight is around 60 grains. Any of the .355 and .358 cast boolit molds will work for the lead core. So imagine a .358 148 or 158 grain core and you got yourself a great 205ish and 220ish grain 40 cal bullet. I got some here some where that where close to 300 I made just for fun. I need to post some pics. Think I sized down a 40 S&W case for the jacket. I have made them from 100 or so grains on up.

BT

PatMarlin
11-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Anybody have a drop in 40sw barrel for my .357 SIG? I'm gonna have to get one now.

BT Sniper
11-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Should be an easy swap. I considered going the other way. I can't say enough as to just how easy it is to make these great 10mm/40 cal bullets from 9mm brass.

Good shooting

BT

DukeInFlorida
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Pat,
I have both barrels for my Sig P229, and wouldn't part with either of them.

While my 357 Sig barrel is my current carry rig, I still shoot tons of the .40 S&W swaged rounds.

Anybody have a drop in 40sw barrel for my .357 SIG? I'm gonna have to get one now.

harley45
11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Does the brass still need to be annealed?

DukeInFlorida
11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't anneal any of mine.

mold maker
11-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Can any of the owners of the first ten dies write a review?
I am a complete newbie on swaging and like the idea of a one step die, however $225 is a lot for a tool that I have no experience with.

No offense to BT Sniper, but as he is both the manufacturer and seller the words sofar are biased. I repeat that I do not doubt BT Sniper, but would like words from users of the tools who might not be as adept and experienced in swaging.

Don't sweat the price. It easily beats both the price and quality of the competition. I have and use three sets of BTs swage dies and am totall happy with both the investment, and the quality bullets they produce.
I don't remember if mine were of the first 10, but very early in his sales.
I'm swaging .41, .44, and .45 calibers with BTs dies and you couldn't beg, borrow, or steel, them from me.
If you want to shoot JHP, and do it at cast prices, while having a ball, don't put off
getting your name on his list.
You will not be disappointed.

harley45
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I PMD BT to get a set for my 10mm but until I hear back from him can someone answer this: If I make a 180 gr hollow point can I then make a 200gr flatnose with just a change of the point forming tip?

ReloaderFred
11-07-2011, 12:45 AM
The weight of the finished bullet is determined by the combined weights of the core and jacket. You can make a 200 gr. bullet by adding more weight to the core. The flat nose punch would enable you to make it shorter than a hollowpoint punch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Sorry I'm behind on PMs I'll get to them ALL very soon.

Yes you can make any weight bullet you want. I just so happened to find all my samples I made with these dies and took some pics. Made them from 110-315 grains. Obviously some of these might be outside the weight range of the standard 40 or 10mm but it shows the range of possibilties of these dies.

Here is the samples I made with the weights posted in frount of the bullet. The light weight ones I made from cut off brass cartridge cases. The 160-255 grain bullets where made from a 9mm case for a jacket. The 255 and heavier is all flat points. The two heavy ones are made from a sized down 40 S&W case for a jacket.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060515.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060514.jpg

BT

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Does the brass still need to be annealed?

Annealed brass will make a shorter bullet. For the 180-190 grain bullet shorter length is desired. Annealing brass is easy. Not saying it won't work for those that don't anneal but in my opinion it may make for a better bullet.

BT

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 02:18 AM
I PMD BT to get a set for my 10mm but until I hear back from him can someone answer this: If I make a 180 gr hollow point can I then make a 200gr flatnose with just a change of the point forming tip?

A 60 grain 9mm jacket and a 145 grain .358 cast boolit core will get you around 205-210 grains. The 9mm with a 125 grain core cast from pure lead will get you around 193 grains.

I would imagine any of these bullets made from 9mm in the 180-200 grain range would perform awesome in the 10mm.

BT

harley45
11-07-2011, 07:29 AM
I just ordered the lee 125 grain mold. I have a ton of pure lead and want to pour cores while its fairly cold here in Indiana. I figure this will give me a 193 grain bullet which is close enough. I'll start weighing the brass now to! I have one last question though, how does annealing make for a shorter bullet?

Boolseye
11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Nicely done, BT.

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Annealing the brass makes it softer, obvioulsy, that allows us to compress brass a bit. Here is a good pic to show the difference. It is a bit exagerated in this pic since it is a 40S&W brass case used for a 44 cal bullet that went threw the core seat process but you can see how the extraction grove got compressed making the case and resulting bullet shorter.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/bullets.jpg

Annelaed brass will allow the base of the bullet to expand to final diameter. Without annealing the brass the base of the bullet will require excessive force to expand to final diameter if at all. With the base of the bullet at final diameter we will get a better seal of bullet to barrelwith potential better accuracy.

The primary concern in the 40S&W (don't think it applies to the 10MM) is seating the bullet to deep that the base of the bullet is forced into the tappered wall of the case causing a buldge in teh exterier of the case. Now if the base of the bullet was not full diameter but more of a boat tail well then it doesn't make contact with this tappered case wall till much latter. At this point you are just taking up a bit more of the powder space with the longer bullet. there seems to be a big scare in compressed loads in the 40S&W. I don't believe it is the compressed load that causes any problems. What I have noticed in the 40S&W that is a concern is the buldge in the side of a loaded case from seating a bullet to deep or using to long of a bullet. The only concern I would have with potential compressed load is bullet backing out of case after you load it. Making a loaded bullet that is to long. Now in a 10mm with more case capacity I don't think any of this applies as far as the bullet makign contact with the tappered case wall and obviously if you can load your 40S&W longer then standard.

Here is a pic of a 40 cal bullet that I made that resulted in to long of a bullet and made contact with the taper in the case wall. The bullet was .740 in length because of the extra large experimental HP I made for it. Even with the limited powder space I still had no problem launching them at great speeds with a dense ball type powder but the bullet was just a bit long. I now addvise we keep the 40 S&W bullets under .700 in length. This is no problem with either 125 or 120 grain cores and my custom hollow point punches I have designed to take this into account. I make sure all the ddies in 40 cal that go out my door make bullets shorter then this length.

Notice the loaded round didn't buldge the case. I do use a Lee factory crimp die and recamend it's use for other 40 shooters. This ensures the loaded round will chamber properly. Rest assured I have taken precautions to ensure you all will get great bullets from these dies that will give you best results possible from making a bullet our of a scrap piece of brass.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/2011-1-26009.jpg

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I just ordered the lee 125 grain mold. I have a ton of pure lead and want to pour cores while its fairly cold here in Indiana. I figure this will give me a 193 grain bullet which is close enough. I'll start weighing the brass now to! I have one last question though, how does annealing make for a shorter bullet?

YEP! 125 grain cores cast with pure lead will get you 193 grains +or - a couple grains. It will make an exelent bullet for the 10MM and I have shot severial this heavy from my 40 too with no problems.

I'll get you a repply to your PMs soon. Here is what I recamend to anyone interested in a 40 cal die. Start casting some .356 120 grain cores (125 for 10mm if you like), then anneal a bunch of brass. Now if you really want to make some great bullets my multi caliber universal notch die with teh expanding mandrel will make your swage experience even better and teh bullets you will be able to make are flat out awesome. If you had teh notch die a head of time while you wait for me to assemble the 40 cal swage dies then you could have everythign ready for when the swae die arrives.

I have plenty of the notch dies and expanding mandrels avialble and the swage dies will be ready soon.

BT

harley45
11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I'd like to order the notching die then per my PM, when you get time. I'm thinking after reading the above I may not try and anneal at first for my 10mm as a boattail HP may fly just a bit better, any thoughts?

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
In short. Annealing makes the process easier in my opinion. Annealing allows the base to expand to full diameter, that has got to be better for accuracy. Annealing make the brass softer making it easier on all your expensive components (press, table, dies, etc.). Annealing the brass will alow the use of the expanding mandrel I offer to go MUCH faster and smoother. I would have to look but it maybe possible that when making the bullet from unanneaaled 9mm brass that the .388 base diameter may not line up perfectly centered in reulsting formed bullet making it out of ballence?

Do check out the annealing sticky thread. There is ways to make annealing easy and fast. As for me...well, I will always addvise one should anneal their jackets. The benifits far out weight the little effort required.

Sure I'll get you set up with a notch die ASAP and the 40 cal swage die just as soon as I have them ready. I'll send you a PM

BT

harley45
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
OK I'll anneal them I promise! I'm also planning on bonding them so the cases are goanna get hot at least twice!

harley45
11-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I wasn't going to order the notch die, but I want the expanding mandrel as I think that will allow the air to escape safely as I bond the cores. Is that part of my thinking correct?

BT Sniper
11-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes it will certainly help if not be perfect for that. The notch die is sweet! "You'll like the way it looks" I guarantee it :)

BT

don keith
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
want 44 cal one step dies how do i purchase them

BT Sniper
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Sent you a PM today. If we can't get the PM communication figured out I'll send you a Email to the address you listed when you signing up here or we can simply get you all taken care of here in this thread on the open forums, no problem. I'll start a 44 cal one step die for you. It will be about March before I have one ready. It will be of my own custom design. I make sure all my customers know that quality will always come first should I experience any delays.

I look foward to hearing back from you. You can reach me here or via email at BT_Sniper@hotmail.com

Good shooting and Merry Christmas

BT

sargenv
12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I too do not anneal.. I've not really noticed any difference in the proces with un-annealed cased over the annealed stuff I used to do, other than more time to create the bullets.

DukeInFlorida
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I anneal my 9mm to .40 cases, but do not anneal the .40 to 44 mag cases.

Both work fine.

mattw
11-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Just noticed the age of this thread, are these dies still being made?

dilly
11-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I think he is still making them but the prices he quoted will be dated.

Lizard333
11-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Yep, he is hard at work. Just got my 40 and 45 Dies. Both very nicely done!!

anotherred
11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes this post is dated, but the dies are only getting nicer!!! They have gone from a tool to a piece of art!

sirAIG
11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
I may have missed it... But how much is the set of dies needed to produce these? They will work in a corbin s-press with a shell holder adapter, correct?

earthling121757
11-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Look up BT Sniper in the vendor sponsor section, he has his full price list there...

BlackoutBuilder
07-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Hey, do I need to resize the 9mm brass first? I might as well get started.

BT Sniper
07-29-2018, 07:55 PM
No need to size 9mm brass.

What you do need to do.......

1. anneal 9mm brass
2. stainless steel wet tumble clean brass
3. dry brass
4. bell mouth of 9mm brass using 9mm reloading expander die (do not bell any more then is necessary to successfully push cast boolit into case)
5. while case is still in shell holder use same expander die to push 120 grain pure lead cast boolit core into case nose first (do not push so hard to bulge side of case, make sure diameter of case is still under .400")
6. optional BTX notch top of jacket Using BTX mulit caliber notch die
7. form bullet in BTSniper one step die

Good to go!

I have had customers use a progressive press for steps 4-6 for incredible speed and massive production rates. Then all that is left to do is form bullet with final step in any decent single stage reloading press.

Steps 1-5 can be completed before one has my die set (6 too if they have my BTX die)

https://i.imgur.com/bzDzzK0l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HBh6sQFl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9QyePfzl.jpg

Swage on!

BT

BlackoutBuilder
07-29-2018, 11:06 PM
Thanks. As soon as I get the 30 set squared away, let's do it ! I do want the BTX die too. Im guessing the spent primers stay in the brass?

BlackoutBuilder
07-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Think I could bell and seat with a LEE Universal expander die?