PDA

View Full Version : thinking of selling a gun, need advice

trickyasafox
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a pre-series 80 colt LW commander in stainless steel (CLW0469XX) with night sights I was thinking about selling.

It has a non-original trigger, bushing, Guide rod, MSH, grip safety, and slide catch. Other than that- I'm pretty sure its all factory. I bought the gun used.

I just don't really like it. it runs fine, shoots fine, etc etc- I just find I either grab a full size government or my officers sized gun for carry.

you can see a bunch of pics here:
http://gunzand****.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-to-look-for-while-upgrading-your.html

it is the only commander sized gun in the photos.

the guide rod (full length) bushing and MSH are all EGW. the trigger, grip safety, and slide catch are of unknown manufacture.

I'm at a loss on this one. I don't want to be unreasonable in pricing it, but I don't want to get fleeced either. I suspect I'm overly optimistic in my guesstimation, as I would like at least 750 for the gun- but for all I know that could be way high (i doubt it would be low, but that would be nice to find out as well)

if I were to sell it- what is a fair price to ask?

I'm sorry if this is an annoying request, and I wasn't sure if this should go in the classifieds as I really am not sure if I want to sell it at all yet.

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 04:15 PM
MSH?

Probably can get around $600-800 depending on your local CCW market, and exact
condition. Personally, I choose this gun (SS LW Commander) as my 95% of the time
carry gun.

Bill

trickyasafox
05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
oh sorry- msh= mainspring housing.

subsonic
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Search completed auctions on Gunbroker.com. The price that other similar guns have sold for is a great indication of a price that yours might sell for.

In general I have found that aftermarket parts do not add much value and often take away, since the buyer is as likely to want to change or remove your modifications as he/she is to want to keep them. 1911s are an odd market though - so anything goes.

It's worth what someone will pay for it....:p

BruceB
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Also, go to www.gunsamerica.com and search for "commander". The prices there are actual asking prices, not auction bids. I took a quick look, and there are a lot of assorted Commanders for sale on the site.

In looking at the prices, I think your thoughts are very realistic.

I agree with subsonic about the aftermarket parts possibly detracting from the value. If *I* were to buy that Colt, it would very quickly see the guide rod discarded, the bushing changed, and the various controls returned to "stock" configuration...except, of course, for an ambidextrous safety which we lefties MUST have.

Nice gun. I wish I wuz in the market for one.

troy_mclure
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
if you decide to sell post it on your local gun/outdoors forums. ive found it much easier this way.

if you decide to ship it, find a dealer that will do it. its usually cheaper than paying ups next day air.

xr650
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
It is against the law of nature to sell a firearm. [smilie=1:

trickyasafox
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I figured the aftermarket would hurt a bit (especially on a colt) the EGW stuff I put on only because it had other non-factory parts in those places, and they seemed to be of questionable quality. thanks for all the help!

timkelley
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
See if you have a local dealer who will put it under his counter on consignment. I've sold four guns I was tired of that way. Usually a dealer will charge a fixed fee or a percentage.
Try it at whatever you want plus ten per cent, can't hurt.

pdawg_shooter
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
You will be sorrrrreeee!