PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Cast Boolits/boolits weights for 22CF's

1Shirt
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
It is sort of a once or twice a week thread here to find statements about what a pain it is to cast/size/lube,shoot, etc. the 22/cals, and why some will not mess with them. To me the little ones are a challange as well as being a PIA.

Have been a caster, and cast shooter for more years than I care to think about. Possibly 20 or so years ago, I started weighing cast blts to obtain the best paper accuracy in a number of ctgs. That was before digital scales, and beam scales were a real pain until digital came along that I could afford. I have learned much in that time frame, and probably have a lot more to know and learn.

I have learned that weight variance in cast blts is much less of a problem in heavy blts than in small lite blts. I.E. 500 gr. 45 cals, compared to 45 grain. 22 cals. With the big heavy ones, I don't have a problem with up to 2-3 grain variance. I weigh them all and seperate and store by weight those that fall in the high weight percentage of a bell curve.

The little ones however are a horse of a different whatever. Have learned the hard way (trial and error), that exact weights of blts loaded make a whale of a lot of difference. Again top of the bell curve when weighing, and up to a 3/10's of a grain either side of center. Anything on either side of the bell, beyond my 3/10 are culls, for plinking only, or go back in the pot. Even with this close a tolerance to consistancy, there is still on occaision, that "don't know why it happens to me" flier, an inch out of the .5", 5 shot group.

I don't weigh cases for consistancy with large capacity vol from say 6.5x55 up, but do weigh from 22-250 down. It seems to me that with small cases, the tighter the consistancy of weight of all the little cases, (Hornet,Bee, 222, 223, 22-250 the higher potential for accuracy. Have also learned from trial and error that headstamps alone mean little due to brass variance. (Can't afford Lapua, Norma etc, so am talking about Rem/Win etc). It is an equal pain in the tush to weigh to exact weights all of the small brass, but once seperated, it is a one time thing.

The other factor for accuracy for me in the small cases is accurate trimming and belling along with straight seating (which is of course to me an obvious). I am also a firm believer in inside deburring of the flash holes which is a one time proposition. I seat with a BR seater for 222-223 and hornet. Don't have one for 22-250, and need to invest in one. No sense discussing OAL as each rifle is different and female I think, regarding seating.

Lastly, regardless of the consistancy of the blt, powder, case, etc., I weigh all loaded cases where the powder charge is less than half the vol capacity of the ctg. A double charge is something no one wants to experiance twice.

I realize that all of the above is very time consuming, and that regardless of it all there may still be a flier or two due to shooter error, or a bad day at the range. Regardless, I think for the little cals, it is well worth the time. Am still looking for that 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 with 222/223, even if it is only a one time thing.

Being retired now for the last 6-7 years is a big help in that regard. I need to be doing as much work for my 243's, but that's a different subject.:CastBoolitsisbest:
1Shirt!:coffeecom

JeffinNZ
05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
I greatly reduced the variance in weight of my .224 cast boolits by replacing the one size fits all sprue plate with my own made from aluminum in which I drilled 2mm/0.078 pouring holes. Variance plummeted.

1Shirt
05-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Good thought Jeff, will consider it! Thanks,
1Shirt!:coffeecom