PDA

View Full Version : Globe front sight options?

Naphtali
05-31-2011, 12:54 PM
The universe of globe front sight assembly options is relatively large - from Lyman 17s and 93s to sight assemblies used by BPCR shooters and competitors.

1. Within this universe which are more convenient to use on a hunting rifle? What I think I mean is that assemblies having bells & whistles such as bubble levels are probably less convenient for hunting while being expensive.

2. Within the smaller group of globe sight assemblies tending to be more convenient for hunting rifles, if there are assemblies - I probably mean sight bases?? - more robust, more likely to withstand being dropped or being banged against a boulder and maintain zero, please identify.

BruceB
05-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Four of my rifles are equipped with Lyman 17 sights, and my Shiloh has a spirit-level sight with a dozen extra sight elements.

They are strongly built of steel, and if one is concerned about fragility of the insert elements, it's easy to double-up with two (or more!) inserts to stiffen them.

The Lymans offer a much-improved sight picture over the regular bead-type sight that is standard on most hunting rifles( if, indeed, the rifle has ANY iron sights at all). I say this on the assumption (yeah, I know) that the shooter is accustomed to using post-style front sights. The diameter of the 17 is large enough that it doesn't affect my target-acquisition time or the time needed to re-align after firing a shot. Shooting with both eyes open helps a great deal, of course.

The more-elaborate "target" style front sights are probably usable, but are more complex, bulkier and more expensive. "Complex" also usually means "fragile", too.

My 17s installed easily on both Marlin and Winchester lever rifles. Sharps' rifle dovetail sizes vary from maker to maker. Measure carefully before ordering a sight; the heights listed for Lyman 17s are the distance from base of dovetail to CENTER of the aperture.

I sure like my interchangeable-insert sights; they offer a whole lot of versatility and improved performance as well.

Naphtali
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Then you have little or no concern that a hard knock will distort the sight base within dovetail or the dovetail itself? And you are confident the #17s are as robust an assembly as any?
Four of my rifles are equipped with Lyman 17 sights, and my Shiloh has a spirit-level sight with a dozen extra sight elements.

They are strongly built of steel, and if one is concerned about fragility of the insert elements, it's easy to double-up with two (or more!) inserts to stiffen them.

The Lymans offer a much-improved sight picture over the regular bead-type sight that is standard on most hunting rifles( if, indeed, the rifle has ANY iron sights at all). I say this on the assumption (yeah, I know) that the shooter is accustomed to using post-style front sights. The diameter of the 17 is large enough that it doesn't affect my target-acquisition time or the time needed to re-align after firing a shot. Shooting with both eyes open helps a great deal, of course.

The more-elaborate "target" style front sights are probably usable, but are more complex, bulkier and more expensive. "Complex" also usually means "fragile", too.

My 17s installed easily on both Marlin and Winchester lever rifles. Sharps' rifle dovetail sizes vary from maker to maker. Measure carefully before ordering a sight; the heights listed for Lyman 17s are the distance from base of dovetail to CENTER of the aperture.

I sure like my interchangeable-insert sights; they offer a whole lot of versatility and improved performance as well.

docone31
05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
All my rifle have the #17 capability.
I have them now on three centerfires. I am using the next taller one to the AUG, and I have not had one get loose yet.
Once you find the front insert you like, they are great.

rbertalotto
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Great for a hunting rifle......

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26062/Product/FOLDING_FRONT_SIGHT

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_100002383_1.jpg

waksupi
06-01-2011, 02:49 AM
NEGC sells the toughest sights.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

BruceB
06-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Then you have little or no concern that a hard knock will distort the sight base within dovetail or the dovetail itself? And you are confident the #17s are as robust an assembly as any?

The Lyman 17s use the same dovetail size as the factory sights, and I do believe they are more damage-resistant than the standard, unprotected bead sights commonly found on factory rifles. I have no qualms about using them in the field.

Certainly, the sight-base/dovetail arrangement is amply strong for hunting purposes.

It's too bad that so many of our brethren believe that a scope sight is essential. They miss out on a lot of shooting pleasure, and have no idea at all about just how effective good iron sights can be,