PDA

View Full Version : Question for upstate New yorkers

Ed Barrett
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm going out to visit my grand kids in New York. Their father wants to get into reloading, they live outside of a little town called Schenevus, it's near Oneonta. Do any of you know any good sources for reloading supplies in that area. I'm taking up a used single stage press, scale, ect. but need a place where he can buy powder and primers.

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Bret is somewhere in upstate NY, but that is a big area, so maybe not too close.

Bill

Lee W
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Not my neck of the woods, but here is a bunch you can call.

Gun shops (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=LXY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Schenevus+ny+guns&fb=1&gl=us&hq=guns&hnear=0x89dc0c2b33aced59:0xfa6c598a48579297,Schene vus,+NY&ei=pW7lTZKnAo_3gAeGkcCgBg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAQQtgMwAA)

Maven
05-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Ed, I used to work (on the RR) near Oneonta and Schenevus, but I never looked for reloading suppies in that area. However, I did find this: http://www.manta.com/c/mtbvngj/mead-s-reloading-gun-supply Hope it helps you out!

fatnhappy
05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Bret is somewhere in upstate NY, but that is a big area, so maybe not too close.

Bill

Brett is much farther north. Not my neck of the woods either.

Beautiful country in the Mohawk Valley though.

You might want to take trip to the Remington Museum if you can. The Baseball HOF is spitting distance too.

Anyways, one of my hunting buddies worked at SP Oneonta for awhile. I'll ask him tomorrow.

altheating
05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
I grew up right in the Mohawk Valley, yes beautiful! Probably the best for in stock reloading supplies is at Franks Shooting Supplies in Canastota NY. They have a great selection of bullets, powders and primers. Lock Stock and Barrel in Canajoharie also has some, no powder though. I would call first. Another place is Franks Guns in Marcy. If he knows what he wants, you are better off getting them online, Powder Valley is where I have purchased most of my stuff this spring. Tula or Wolf primers at $15-$16 per thousand sure beats $30-$35 per thousand locally. Check with member "Screwbolts", he's closer to Schenevus than I am.

PS If you are going to visit your grandkids, wouldn't "their father" be your son or son in-law? Just wondering...

scb
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
http://www.beikirchs.com/
They may be too far away but for my money they're the best in the state. They been doing what they've been doing for 40 years that I know of.

Bret4207
06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
'Fraid I can't help. I'm way north on the Canadian border. Hope you have a safe trip though.

cuzinbruce
06-01-2011, 06:28 AM
You might try Fur, Fin and Feather in Livingston Manor. Maybe an hour or so from Oneonta. Just off Rte 17. I have bought powder from them while I was up there hunting. I would call ahead about what you need before making the trip. They usually have a lot of nice used guns too. Nice people. Good Luck.

lavenatti
06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
+1 on Fur, Fin and Feather. Only stopped there once but the prices on powder seemed reasonable.

And yes, nice people.

Ed Barrett
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys, I try some of those places. I'm in Columbus, OH tonight and should in NY Thursday. Traveling has been great little traffic and we took my wife's Prius. Doing 48 mpg sure feels good.

fatnhappy
06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.beikirchs.com/
They may be too far away but for my money they're the best in the state. They been doing what they've been doing for 40 years that I know of.

Beikirchs is a 2- 2.5 hour drive from Oneonta. It's a great place though.

Ed Barrett
07-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks all. I'm back from New York, I was going get my two step-sons into reloading and ended up training three of their friends also. I took an old Press and two sets of dies some primers a couple of reloading books and three boxes of J-bullets. Ended up with two of their friend buying die sets for calibers they owned. I found powder and more primers and j-bullets at a shop in Oneonta. None of them owned pistols because of NY's laws, also found an odd thing for someone from Missouri, they made a copy of my drivers license to buy powder.
I told them about casting but we didn't do any. I figured that they shouldn't start right off with cast rifle loads, it's frustrating enough for me after many, many years. I felt very good leaving five new reloaders in my wake. Also had a great time teaching the grandkids a bunch of bad habits.

Bret4207
07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
The copy of the license might be a county thing. I've never had to do that in 4 other counties.

JKH
07-02-2011, 09:13 AM
it's actually county health departments keeping track, I don't remember the details but will ask a friend who has a gun shop. I only remember 1 shop doing that in Allegany, I also buy in Cataraugus & don't recall doing this but I mostly buy 8 pounders from out of state.

Echo
07-02-2011, 11:18 AM
It's my understanding that "Upstate New York" means anything north of NYC...

JKH
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
depends on perspective, were I live in South Western NY state we consider anything West of Albany or North of Albany & the 5 countys by NYC as "upstate". Albany is just an extension of NYC in our opinion as our legislature is controlled by NYC people & even starting with Pataki who owned a large farm, our Govenors spend more time in their NYC offices than Albany, so us "upstaters" are screwed no matter what! It's long past due for NYC/Long Island & the 5 countys to become a separate state!!!!

Bret4207
07-02-2011, 07:22 PM
To me upstate is the area immediately above NYC to Albany, North of there is the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain region. West of there to just east of Syracuse is Northern NY. Moving west you have Central NY, the Finger Lakes and Western NY. Some people refer to "Upstate" as that area just outside the Catskills to the east and ending in the a Orange Co area like JKH said. I dunno. All I know is I darn sure don't live in "Upstate" NY. That would be where Hillary lives.

Agree on everything south of Albany being it's own State.

altheating
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Remember Hillary is an implant,, cuz nobody else would have her...

1Shirt
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Grew up in Western N.Y. Left 2 days after H.S. graduation for Parris Island. Never looked back. Used to be a great place w/decent hunting. Now everything is posted, the country side smells because of huge dairy operations and spreading of manure in huge quantities, and the cost of living is outrageous, not to mention the taxes. Still pretty, and still have friends there, but am durn glad I live in Ne.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Bret4207
07-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I keep thinking about leaving, but I haven't found anywhere I can afford to move and have what i have here that isn't HOT. I've dome summer in Mississippi and North Carolina. No thanks. I need at least 3 seasons and a little cold weather.

Adk Mike
07-03-2011, 08:41 AM
One thing about New York a lot of people don't realize it is a huge state. I'm north of Albany and have traveled all over the country and have only been to New York City one time. A lot of forest and Farm land and about a 5 hour drive from my home to the western side of the state. I really enjoy the Adirondacks nice place to Hike ,Hunt and Fish. Mike

Echo
07-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, Bret, we have 5 seasons here in Tucson.
Winter: Saw 18* this January - beat up my bouganvillea, but it's coming back.
Spring: Really nice weather.
Summer: We call the month of June 'Summer'. Hot and dry - high yesterday was 111*, tied the record. All-time record high was in 1990, in June - 117*. (Good news & Bad news: Good news - I wasn't here! Bad news - I was in Phoenix, where it was 122*!)
Monsoon: July & August. Hot and damp. Worst time of the year.
Fall: September we are losing the monsoon, so it is hot and damp, then just hot. October & November great weather.

And NO SNOW SHOVELLING! (Although we do get snow down here, and Mt Lemmon, 10 miles north, 9400', has a ski lift)

And we don't need a permit to carry concealed! And could ALWAYS carry openly.

Ed Barrett
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
It's cool in the summer in the Catskills but the deer flies during the day and the mosquitos at night make up for it. I'll take the Missouri Ozarks any day. I spent one winter in Ilion NY when I worked for Univac back in the Seventies, it snowed every day and none of it melted. Never got too cold but the snow sort of gave you cabin fever. First place I ever saw 8 foot extensions on snowblowers. You can't start planting a garden until June because of frost, here we are picking squash and waiting for the green tomatoes to ripen.

waksupi
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Bret, I think y0u are looking for northern Arkansas.

fecmech
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
It's cool in the summer in the Catskills but the deer flies during the day and the mosquitos at night make up for it. I'll take the Missouri Ozarks any day. I spent one winter in Ilion NY when I worked for Univac back in the Seventies, it snowed every day and none of it melted. Never got too cold but the snow sort of gave you cabin fever. First place I ever saw 8 foot extensions on snowblowers. You can't start planting a garden until June because of frost, here we are picking squash and waiting for the green tomatoes to ripen.

I guess it's all in what you are used to. I live a little NE of Buffalo NY and my wife's family is from West Plains Mo. and I own 15 acres down there. You just trade the deer flies and mosquitoes for ticks and chiggers. Snowstorms are no big deal in that they don't destroy your house like tornadoes. Just as you were not too crazy about snow not melting I'm not very fond of a constant diet of 90 deg. days in July thru Sept. In the end it all comes down to personal taste. We almost moved to Mo. a few years back but changed our minds. Missouri has a lot going for it as a place to live. Me I just replaced the bearing in my snow blower auger so I'll stick around here for a while!

Bret4207
07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Bret, I think y0u are looking for northern Arkansas.

But Ric, no matter where I go I have to deal with the "Oh, y'all from New Yawk! Must be a city slicker." Not everyone from Texas is a cowboy, not everyone from Georgia one of the Duke boys and not everyone from California is a fruit bat nut job that hangs out waiting for the surf to come up...or an illegal alien. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to convince someone in any of the the other 49 States of the California thing than it is to convince them NY is predominately a rural state filled with agricultural types that have no clue what "quiche" actually is. My few dealings with Arkansans leaves me with the impression I'd be bucking some pretty solidly held biases. I simply haven't the patience for that anymore.

Northern Idaho looks nice though. Expensive!

Bret4207
07-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, Bret, we have 5 seasons here in Tucson.
Winter: Saw 18* this January - beat up my bouganvillea, but it's coming back.
Spring: Really nice weather.
Summer: We call the month of June 'Summer'. Hot and dry - high yesterday was 111*, tied the record. All-time record high was in 1990, in June - 117*. (Good news & Bad news: Good news - I wasn't here! Bad news - I was in Phoenix, where it was 122*!)
Monsoon: July & August. Hot and damp. Worst time of the year.
Fall: September we are losing the monsoon, so it is hot and damp, then just hot. October & November great weather.

And NO SNOW SHOVELLING! (Although we do get snow down here, and Mt Lemmon, 10 miles north, 9400', has a ski lift)

And we don't need a permit to carry concealed! And could ALWAYS carry openly.

Did a few TDYs in Yuma, really liked it there, but that was back in the late 70's. I understand it's gone down hill since then.

scb
07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
But Ric, no matter where I go I have to deal with the "Oh, y'all from New Yawk! Must be a city slicker."

Man ain't that the truth.

1Shirt
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Bret, Have not had a problem with that "city slicker bit" from N.Y. in years. I tell people that there are 3 New Yorks: The CITY, UPSTATE, & WESTERN, and that I am from the western part. Also tell them that N.Y. is (or was at least) the 5th. largest producing dairy state in the union. Some great wines come out of the Naples area as well. I left home at 18, because I never wanted to pull another holstein t-t after an ice storm knocked out the electricity.

Have never been accused of a N.Y. accident, and don't really think that there is one outside of the CITY, and probably 100 miles around it. I have always found that a city accent, and anything from N.J. kind of grated in my ear. Tend to think that our midwestern accent is sort of nurtal. Like southern accents, as they are pleasent, and have sort of a lay back sound.

In Ne. this year, we have 6 seasons, spring, summer, fall,winter, tornado, and flood. Flooding along the mighty Mo, this year is bad and getting worse thanks to the Corps of Engineers and their failures. Lots of people homeless in 3 states. Note that the Mo. flooding has little to no priority with the administration, or Obozo, and not a great deal with the media. I rank the Corps as a bureaucracy only one position behind the EPA in arrogance at the expense of people.

Anyhow so much for my rant of the 4th. GOD bless America!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

merlin101
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
depends on perspective, were I live in South Western NY state we consider anything West of Albany or North of Albany & the 5 countys by NYC as "upstate". Albany is just an extension of NYC in our opinion as our legislature is controlled by NYC people & even starting with Pataki who owned a large farm, our Govenors spend more time in their NYC offices than Albany, so us "upstaters" are screwed no matter what! It's long past due for NYC/Long Island & the 5 countys to become a separate state!!!!

I live in Rochester and feel the same, I've always thought we should become the 51st state! Or would that 58???

Bret4207
07-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Put the Capitol in Syracuse, cut the state off a little below Albany..or above for that matter, and call it good. No more arguments about how "The City funds the State" or "The State funds the City". It would be darn nice not to have a 75 mile circle in the State running the rest of it.

Funny, when I went down for 9/11 I had to get a map out to show a NYC cop that NY REALLY DID have a border with Canada! Old saying in my home town was that people from NYC were kinda dumb...I mean not a one of them knew where North Creek was, but everyone in the Crick knew where NYC was!

JKH
07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Bret, funny to hear someone else say crick! I grew up in my younger years down near Oil City PA, way up in the mountains on the Alleghany river in a place called Henry's Bend, about 12 year round familys and as many seasonal homes for city people, creek never was uttered as far as I can remember! Here in Allegany county, NY I hear both interchangeably as there are plenty of backwoods mountain folk here as well and we are 10 minutes from the PA border ;^ ) I lived in Glens Falls for a while after graduating in 1980 (Adirondak Comm. College dropout), I loved the country up there!

NY state is quite interesting, there are few places where such a huge geographic location is controlled by such a small sphere of influence, looking at a map of countys in red and blue shows a state that is completely red except for the Albany/NYC corridor and Erie county in Buffalo, it sickens me every time an election is held for statewide office or national office as I know that our vote will be drowned out by that pariaha of a city and its leeches!

My family keeps talking about moving south, in particular Tenessee where our oldest son lives and my sister-in-law, I have been to Knoxville and surrounding countryside, Nashville, Clarksville, Memphis and Millington as well as driving through a big chunk heading from Nashville to deep Alabama. It is a beautiful state, the Blue Ridge muntains were incredible to drive through, but I for one would rather spend my time inside because its cold and snowy and difficult to get around, than be cooped up in A/C for months because it is so scorching hot & humid it is unbearable! At least during our winters you can look outside and say, yup, its damn nasty out there and I'm glad to be inside! Where if down there you look outside ad its gorgeous and so inviting, but if you open the door you almost die from the heat, to me that is mental torture! When I look outside here in the summer I know that 99% of the days will be almost perfect and the nights are cool, we have windows open all summer and may run A/C a few times but have gone entire summers without using it, as I type this I am in my family room with 5 or 6 windows open and th fench doors, it is in the mid 70's with almost no humidity and a light variable breeze, birds and such are singing and it is like a small taste of heaven, cant get an better than that!