PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - Grand Canyon question

cabezaverde
05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Thinking about taking my wife for a visit to the Grand Canyon for one of our big anniversaries. It won't be on our actual anniversary as we have other plans.

For those that know, what is the best time of the year - weather and crowd wise - to visit?

Any tips on places to stay, eat, etc?

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Well ... I've been there in Jan ... Not crowded, but cold and snowing! Been there in the end of May, and it was nice weather, but crowded!

The North rim is only open mid-May til snowfall ... The South rim is open all year, but much more touristy...

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
North and south rims are totally different places, couple hundred mile drive to be
1.5 miles apart. South has mule rides down or you can walk down Bright Angel trail,
with an oasis half way down. Long walk, gotta be at least a bit in shape to do it.

Years ago we went down the more rustic hiking trail a few miles away (forget the name)
no water at all on that trail, need to carry at least two qts per person in hotter seasons.
Joins up at the bottom with the Bright Angel, and you can go up that one. More crowded,
water half way up.

Look into the Havasupi reservation nearby, they have a literal Garden of Eden there, all
private Indian land, special tours down to their Eden at the bottom of the canyon.

Hot in summer, north rim is tree covered, one lodge only, closed in winter. South is desert
landscape, warmer all year, but very hot some times. Middle seasons are best for temps.
avoid times that schools are out to minimize crowding.

Bill

Echo
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
IMO - best time to visit is in October/November, with April/May close second. Reservations at El Tovar, the old Harvey hotel, generally must be made at least a year in advance, but there are three other lodges. June is starting to get hot (but not terrible), July/August is monsoon season w/heat AND humidity (and school kids!). September is starting to cool down, and dry out, and not bad. December-March has the possibility of snow, and lots of it.

We went in June of '90, for our anny. Spent the night in Williams, then rode the steam train to the Canyon. Could only get reservations in the newest lodge (just like a regular motel), which was fortunate. Especially hot that year, hit 90* there, and our lodge was the only one w/AC! Coming back through Phoenix, the temp was 122*!

There is a reason for the crowds - best time of the year brings the most tourists. Whenever you go, you will enjoy it.

MT Gianni
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Most of the visitors never go further than 50 feet into the canyon. If you don't like crowds walk down for a bit then enjoy the scenery. We were there in Dec '77 and Oct of 99. There were a lot more people ther in Oct 99 obviously, but Japanese tourists by the bus load were there also. Just go and have fun.

troy_mclure
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
my uncle took his family on the mule ride 2 years ago. for the 4 of them it was just over $400. and it was a 1yr in advance reservation. they loved it, but they had a better time riding the rafts, and it was 1/2 the price.

thehouseproduct
05-31-2011, 11:53 AM
My parents are about 20 min form there. I would say that you couldn't go wrong anytime of year. It's beautiful in the summer and I like it even more covered in snow in the winter.

JIMinPHX
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
To keep it simple, the north rim is cold & the south rim is hot. If you go in the summer, go to the north rim. If you go in the winter, go to the south rim.

If you are driving by chloride cliffs & you see the signs advertising the west rim, don't bother, or at least don't attempt it without a full tank of gas. The signs make it sound like it is not that far. I tried taking that road about 8 years ago. By the time that I got to the town of Dolan Springs, I started to feel like I'd been the victim of a con job. The progressive signs that tell you how much further it is don't add up to what my odometer said. By the time I was down to just over half fuel, I turned around & headed back. I'm not going to say that there was nothing there to see, but it was a disappointment to me.

A year or two ago, one of the Indian tribes built some kind of "sky walk" that lets you walk out past the edge of the rim & look straight down. Maybe it has a glass bottom or something. I don't know. I haven't seen it myself yet. That seems to be pretty popular these days. Google it to find out more.

As was said, mule rids are popular but are often booked far in advance.

If you plan to hike to the bottom on foot, plan for two days. You will want one day for going down & one day for going back up. Only try that if you are in good shape. Getting medivac'd out of there is a real good way to ruin a vacation.

It is possible to get a hotel room right inside the park, but they are a bit expensive. The hotels on the main road that goes up to the canyon's south entrance are a little less expensive, but still not what I'd call real good value for money. Depending on your budget, you may be better off staying at a hotel in one of the nearby towns.

That canyon is something that you need to see to believe. Pictures don't do it justice. It truly is grand.

GLL
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
For me October is the best time to visit ! This is especially true of the North Rim with the fall colors on the aspen trees.
Hiking in the summer requires that you carry lots of water. There is none available on the Kaibab trail and only one source on the Bright Angel trail. I have my students carry four quarts coming out on the South Rim Kaibab trail from the bottom where temperatures are usually over 100 degrees in summer . I have hiked it eighteen times and for some reason the trail is getting much, much steeper lately ! :)

Jerry

Simonpie
05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
I popped into the South Rim last October and it was pleasant and uncrowded. Beatiful. On the way out I picked up a local indian walking down the road. He was late 20s, lived 10 miles away, and he'd never been to the canyon. I'd laugh, but I'd lived in Seattle 35 years before I went up the Space Needle. Sometimes a "staycation" is a good thing.

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Kaibab was what I was trying to remember. Down the Kaibab Trail with two qts of water and very
dry the last bit. Filled up at the river with purification tablets, drank our fill and headed up
the Bright Angel Trail. Refilled water half way up at the springs, and rested up a bit. You can
do it in one day, but it is a challenge. We did it in August, pretty hot, so the water use
was higher than in spring or fall. Over 30 yrs ago, now that I think about it.

Do the mules still make a nasty mule piss swamp ecosystem every so often?

Look up Havasupi Indians.

Bill

GOPHER SLAYER
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
The last time my wife and I went to the Grand Canyon was in 1995. We took the old steam train From Williams, Az. , boring beyond belief. I have been told but don't know for sure that thru much of the year you cannot drive to the canyon but go to a parking area and be taken the rest of the way by bus. We were there in June and the weather was very nice. I always think when I am standing on the edge of the canyon, what a great place to shoot clay pigions. Is that sacrilege?

MT Gianni
05-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't know about places to eat but try Navaho Tacos while you are there and green sauce on Huevos Ranchero's.

azcruiser
05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Hit the national park service web site .Remember the canyon is 277 miles long and up to 18 miles
wide . Think the north rim look nicer and is cool with lots of big pine trees and tons of wild life /It a longer drive . Are you flying in to AZ or driving how much time do you have .Myself if I were coming from NY by plane and had say a week I would Fly into LAS Vegas rent a car then drive north to ST George UT go through Zion Canyon and then Bryce Canyon.Then head south To the North RIM then go through LEE's Ferry Stop then across the Colorado river and south to Flagstaff AZ South rim of the canyon stop look . The if I still had time go to Havasupai Falls which is kind of on the way back to Las Vegas .It would be a nice drive but take some time Think Flights into Vegas are cheaper than say Phoenix ? Two week would be better .

BD
06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I think azcruiser has it pretty much right for doing it by car.

The canyon is beautiful, particularly once you get down into it. Great hiking if you're in shape for it. But, other than the Bright Angel and Kaibab trails it's not for the faint hearted. I spent a week in the bottom down the old Hance trail, and back up the "new" Hance trail in 1978. Got in a little hot water for overstaying my permit by two days. I kayaked the length of it in 1984, spending 21 days on the river and took a dozen side hikes. One of the best trips of my life.

There are some good hikes from the rim. Thunder River, Deer Creek and Mosquito Creek from the north rim. Havasu Creek from the south rim come to mind. Elves Chasm is incredible, but I don't think it's a reasonable hike from the rim. Don't walk down to the river and plan to be back on the rim the same day unless you're in excellent shape.

BD

firefly1957
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Me and my wife were there in July 2001 it was very hot on the south rim and cold on the north rim the ground was white with fine hail! and 38 degrees. Ranger said it was not snow I was not so sure.

shooterg
06-01-2011, 01:07 PM
One place I'll never see w/o getting a divorce. Wife insists on beach trip every year and short of winning the lottery, would have to give up shooting a couple years to fund another vacation !

azcruiser
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
If you drive through ST George stop at Berry's Manufacturing they make and sell cast and plated lead bullets . Say HI to Gilbert the owner nice people and a interesting stop and it's right on the way to ZION Canyon .

Digger
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
It's called the "Skywalk" as JIMinPHX states ......
http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/

pucker up !

quilbilly
06-02-2011, 12:13 AM
I recommend very early in October if you can spare hunting season and take in Bryce Canyon NP and Cedar Breaks NM as well. The quaking aspen around Bryce and especially Cedar Breaks is spectacular. The crowds really begin to disappear by late September and the temps in early October are about as perfect as you can get. If you use Mesquite, NV as a base, you can visit Cedar Breaks and Bryce on one day trip. Hang out at the pool the second day then hit the North Rim on another day trip.

Rocky Raab
06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
It just so happens that my very talented daughter is the account exec for Grand Canyon tourism. Here's the website: VISIT PLANNER (http://www.grandcanyon.com/)

BoolitBill
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I took the family a few years ago and enjoyed it quite a lot, even in the July heat. If you have the extra time I would also recommend the Arizona meteor crater near Winslow. Not too far from Flagstaff. I had a great time but the kids just joked that all they did that vacation was go see holes in the ground!

azcruiser
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
On the way to the hole/meteor crater stop at Walnut Canyon see how people lived long long time ago or if tshtf how people could be living in 20yrs . If you have any boating skills and the time stop at the fly fishing store /shop at Lee's Ferry check on renting a boat and going from Lee's Ferry up the Colorado river to Glen Canyon Dam it's about 10 to 20 miles maybe less.
I have traveled to many places Alps -Arctic Circle -Norwegian fords- Monte Carlo-
Florence -Canals of Venice -South America lots of places. But that is a special place hard to beat

cajun shooter
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I have been to the canyon on three different occasions. The mule ride is tops but what has not been said is very important. The maximum weight limit is 200 pounds and they do weigh you. I have ridden and owned horses and had to help several people on the trail. You have to rein up the mule with his head over the edge so that he will not move. All hikers have to give up the right of way to the mules as the trail is very narrow and is built in a switch back configulation. You go down to the cliff area overlooking the river and the temperature change is big if in the time of September. It will be in the low to mid 30's in the stable area that morning and in the 80's at the overlook where you eat lunch, before your return back up. I suggest you do some horse back riding if possible before trip or you will be saddle sore and suffer the next day. It takes at different times up to a year or more to book. I suggest the October time period for the least amout of traffic. If you travel by vehicle then you have several pull overs to see. You can't explain the scenery at the Grand Canyon to anyone, and even a picture will not show the vastness or colors. If you go on a rush trip then you will lose all the area has to offer. You can sit in one area and watch it change all day long from the different positions of the sun. If you go and have time you could also go by vehicle on HWY 160 over to Durango, Colorado and ride the old train from there to Silverton. I have made this trip in the open cars 4 times and wish to do it again before I die. I will never ride the mules again as health reasons has made me maintain a body weight of 235. Call Now and they will send you a packet.

cabezaverde
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Great ideas guys.

Keep them coming. It looks like we would have to go in November sometime, as we have a son getting married in October.

August
06-05-2011, 09:09 AM
My wife went up for a meeting last December and, when she got home, said she'd never go during the Summer again because is was so peaceful and serene without the touristas.

If you go in Summer, stay in Williams and go to the Canyon via the train. That way, you don't have to deal with the lookie-lous and you'll still get some time at the Canyon.

In the Winter, it's easy and inexpensive to stay at the canyon and watch the sun travel across the sky and the shadows change down below. Worth one day of your life, just perched on the rim.