PDA

View Full Version : lead through a Comp gun

beladran
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM
i have always been told never mix lead and compensators as bad things happen..

how much of this is true and how much is BS..?

Trying to save money to make the wife happy but still have the trigger time i need means i need to shoot cast bullets for all my practice time and jackted for matchs only.

bobthenailer
05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
I have 5 handguns with compensators and shoot lead 99% of the time , its true you will get lead build up, but just dont let it get out of hand ! clean out every 300 rounds or so . i use a arrendo comp cleaning tool to scrape /dig out the heavy lead build up and then shoot full loads of slow burning ball powder & jacketed bullets to blast out most of whats left[296/H110/Lilgun/ AA#9 or surplus 820 for most 38 cal guns and HS6/ HS7or WAP for the 45. it may take a few shots with these loads but it works amazingly well .
One handgun i regulary shoot @ 1450 fps + fps and mostley use 820 or 296 powder in with gas checked cast bullets , i have ZERO lead build up in the compensator with no cleaning of any kind .

beladran
05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
bob that gun sounds like a 9major?

GRUMPA
05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Well I don't know if my 2 handguns can qualify as they are Taurus, both have the factory comps with I think they call it expansion bore at the very end of the barrel. I've shot both lead and J-words thru them, with the only difference being the cost of the components themselves. In what I shoot, their is literally no difference what I shoot thru them. No leading what-so-ever and I've had them for a better part of 15yrs now.

bobthenailer
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
No its a FA 454 casull with a SSk compensator
I have a 38 super, 2- 45 acps 1- 357 mag & 1 -44 mag with compensators
If you shoot lead with the slow burning ball powders you may not get leading .
I dont use those powders in most cases as i can meet my velocity requirments with a faster burning & more econimcal powder.

Larry Gibson
05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Mold IPSC "comp" M1911 has a Wilson single chamber comp on it. Lead does accumilate in it and after a full day of shooting (500 rounds or so) I clean it out with a scraper made from an old screw driver. I've got slotted flash suppressors on an M1 Carbine, ARs and M1As and they've not had any accumilation of lead after thousands of rounds of cast bullets.

Larry Gibson

Sieveboy
05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
I've shot thousands of cast bullets through my Thompson without a problem:Fire:. The comp does have some lead buildup, but nothing serious.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Sieveboy/IMG_0007.jpg

Bula
05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I shoot cast from a Taurus Tracker 4" in 45 colt, gets a little dirty, but doesn't appear to shave or spit lead at all.

Great pic Sieveboy, but it won't count in my book till you also post picks of the Thompson too!! ha...

KYCaster
05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
I haven't tried it myself, so I can't swear it works, but I've been told that welder's anti-spatter spray liberally applied to the comp will keep lead build up to a minimum.

Jerry

MtGun44
06-01-2011, 02:09 AM
BS. My Wilson LE comp gun has digested over 70K of .38 Super major caliber loads, all
lead. Moderate buildup in the comp, scrape it out every so often, when I feel like it.
Not an issue at all.

Bill

Bill*
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I shoot cast from a Taurus Tracker 4" in 45 colt, gets a little dirty, but doesn't appear to shave or spit lead at all.

Great pic Sieveboy, but it won't count in my book till you also post picks of the Thompson too!! ha...

Yeah....Isn't that a rule or something?:smile: