PDA

View Full Version : Broke a cylinder hand..How hard to replace it?

superior
05-31-2011, 12:05 AM
The gun is a Heritage 22lr/22mag convertible. It cost me $100 new, 17 years ago.
The cylinder hand broke off (it seems to be made from sintered metal) Their website has the part listed at $12. Is it pretty straight forward to replace? I've never disassembled a revolver before. Is it even worth it? I don't want to screw anything up worse than what it is, but if it's easy, I'm not afraid to jump right in and get my feet wet.:killingpc

Treeman
05-31-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure about difficulty on a Heritage but it is easy on Smiths, Rossis and Tauri.

blaser.306
05-31-2011, 07:18 AM
You would likely pay $12.00 for a jigsaw puzzle that when you were done putting it together , you would take it apart and sell it at a garage sale for .50 cents ! At least the " hand " will give you some enjoyment when the job is done ! JMHO

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Depends a LOT on how naturally handy you are. Some folks find this kind of stuff pretty
easy, others have their brain explode just looking at a revolver with the sideplate off.

If you got some of the "handy gene", it's not too bad, but it probably needs fitting.
Usually new hands are too thick and long and need to be filed down a touch to get the
timing right. If you have never set the timing on a revolver, you may luck into it just
working, but you may get a gun that will over time or the hand may bind in the window.
Might be a good place for a skilled revolver mechanic, or your chance to learn.

Bill

superior
05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
The more I think about it, It may be better to just replace the gun. It never shot that well anyway. I should have bought a Ruger NR-9. I guess when you buy cheap, you buy twice. The Ruger is very pricey, and I'm not sure how the 22lr cylinder will group, since the bullet has to jump such a long distance to the forcing cone. I'm thinking along the lines of a dedicated 22LR revolver with a
Longggggg barrel. Any suggestions? The heritage wouldn't hold a 6" group at 15 yards. :holysheep

felix
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
About 8 years ago the in-the-frame firing pin broke off. The gun was not particularly accurate. Sent it to Ruger and it came back with perfect timing and lockup in both the LR and the Mag cylinders. Accuracy now very close to the Smith target auto (mod 41). ... felix

9.3X62AL
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
The Ruger Single-Six is VERY hard to beat in terms of quality received per dollar spent on a rimfire revolver.

I'm not familiar with the Heritage revolvers, no can help. Most 22s are somewhat ammo-sensitive, and have definite likes and dislikes on ammo type/make. Cheap, bulk-box ammo may not be as consistent as higher-order ammo--I have settled largely on CCI Mini-Mags for my "default" ammo due to its consistency and reliability in all my firearms.

bhn22
05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
It won't just drop in. There will be fitting involved, you'll need some stones to do it, if you don't already have them