PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base .38 /.357 Gas Chk ?

Xcaliber
05-30-2011, 05:56 PM
What better place to get an answer then here among fellow cast boolit shooters.
I have some BB .38/.357 cast boolits that have been bagged up for yrs. now. They are real dark in color and seem to weigh close to 158 grs. My 1st thought was to throw them back in and re-cast into a mold I do have for use. Right now the last few days here in Tx. have been around over a 100 degrees outside. I'm not going out to the storage to cast in this type of heat. My question is this : not knowing anything about the bullet manufacture and alloy mix, would you use these with a Gas check and turn the BB into a flat base boolit to use. ? I have 516
rds. and would hate to go out there in this Tx . heat. What would you suggest ?
Thanks.

.30/30 Guy
05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
If you have any 35 PB checks I would try running one thru a sizer and see how that would work.

Xcaliber
05-30-2011, 06:21 PM
30/30 , I gas chk'd one and it seems to stay on to where it can be used. Just not sure where to use them, my revolver .357 or TC .357 max. Just don't want to re-cast in the Tx. heat right
now.

7of7
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I'd go the TC 357 max.. personally.... but in all actuality, shouldn't be a problem either way..

Xcaliber
06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
7of7, that would be a good idea and just shoot them thru the Max barrel. These Bevel base boolits have been in storage for so long, that the lube on them has hardened and flakes off
into little pieces. Got a bag full of boolits and lube scattered everywhere inside. I tried a few
with a gas check thru the Revolver , cleaned and re-lubed and 1st load tried with Unique at 5.0 grs. was mild , just not good on paper. Want to use these for plinking so am not looking for a hotter load. Right now ...just cleaning boolits so have stopped loading for now.

PatMarlin
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I happy to report that I got an email from one of my customers who is now winning local IPSC competitions with PB gas checks, and attributes that to his Checkmaker™.

Very cool and exciting news... :drinks:

Be interesting to see how they work on bevel bases.