PDA

View Full Version : How about a 35 tumble lube group buy?

Little Joe
12-28-2006, 05:20 PM
How about a group buy on a 35 cal tumble lube bullet?This would have to be a smaller version of the already popular Ranch Dog bullet and it would have to have a big meplat for fast kills on game animals.

Lee push through dies would be used for this bullet and it would lubed with Lee brown ALOX in a butter or Cool Whip bowl.

simple!! simple!! simple!!

What do you guys think about this?180gr bullet maybe a 190 or even alittle bigger?

simple!!simple!!simple!!

What do you think?It sure don't hurt to ask

Little Joe

Cayoot
12-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Hmmmmmm

I'd have to see the drawings, but I might jump on this. Sounds interesting.

jeff223
12-29-2006, 08:01 PM
you going to HONCHO the deal Joe?

glad to see you found your way to my fun stophttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

neerb
12-30-2006, 01:29 AM
I would like to see this one happen

Little Joe
01-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe now that the holidays are about over we can get a group buy started for this tumble lube 35 caliber?

Anyone else interested in this?

Little Joe

Cayoot
01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Well Little Joe,

The first step would be for you to decide that you are going to honcho this boolit.

Next would be for you to contact 45 2.1 and discuss the particulars with him.

Finally, see about getting a drawing posted here.

Then we will know what this is really about.

Little Joe
01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I been shooting the 44 caliber Ranch Dog bullets from my 444 Encore and I called Lee and ordered a mold from them so I can mold up my own rather than get the bullets from a friend.They are shooting very good. for me.

I think a smaller version of the same bullet would be a great bullet.I want at least 180 grains of lead and maybe up to 190 grains of lead before adding the gas check.Nice big flat meplat for fast kills on game animals too,this would be a hunting bullet.Lots of those shallow lube groves down the side of the bullet so that nice Lee brown alox would have a place to settle.The guys buying the molds would have to come up with there own Cool Whip bowls for tumble lubing and these would be sized with push through sizing dies just like the big Ranch Dog bullets.

Maybe I will run this deal if there is enough interest.
Maybe Mr. Ranch Dog will let us run his bullet design?

Please post your ideas and wants here then I will make a decision.

Out of here,
Little Joe

Cayoot
01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe I will run this deal if there is enough interest.
Maybe Mr. Ranch Dog will let us run his bullet design?

Little Joe

Sounds very good to me. I am concerned about running this at carbine velocities without a gas check though. Weren't Ranch Dogs boolits gas check designs?

This concern is magnified by the fact that you want it to be a T.L. boolit. Without the gas check to scrape the bore, we really want to be sure there is adequate lube for the velocities that a carbine would push this boolit to.

Depending on how the more experienced members feel about this, I may be in for 2 moulds.

Thanks

Bary

Little Joe
01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Bary this must be a gas ckecked bullet so we can load it up and shoot it out at max FPS

!!!hunting bullet!!!hunting bullet!!!hunting bullet!!!hunting bullet!!!

See ya,
Littel Joe

Cayoot
01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Ohhhh...my mistake Joe....I thought that you were stateing that you wanted a plain base boolit.....I just re-read your post and see the error of my ways.

This is sounding very good....I think you can count on me for at least one...hopefully two (depending on the drawing).

Bary

PatMarlin
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I may be mistaken, but doesn't Ranch Dog already have this design done and recently tested?

.35 cal at about 180?

Little Joe
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Yes he does and I looked at it on his web site.
http://www.gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC359180RF/TLC359-180-RF_Drawing.jpg
we would have to get the OK first from Mr. Ranch Dog before the deal is started.

I was going to run this deal myself but after reading this tread I have decided to step out and let someone else run it.I can get ahold of my friend to see if he will run the buy.He han a number of buys in the past.

here is the tread that im talking about
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11915

thanks all,
Little Joe

Little Joe
01-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Anyone else like this bullet design?

We better move on this one.I wonder if this bullet will shoot as good as the original 44 caliber Ranch Dog bullet?I say it will.

Little Joe

VTDW
01-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I would like to participate in this buy if it gets off the ground.

Edit: I changed my mind!! No longer interested.

Dave

Ranch Dog
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
It's okay by me if you want to run the buy. I'm getting geared up to sell the special order molds but this one is down the list as two versions of both the TLC432 (275 and 300-grain boolits) and TLC460 (350 and 425-grain boolits) will come first. I'm going to need to buy big lots of them to make it worth my while but I will be able to offer them cheaper than what you pay in a group buy. I'm planning on having the sizing dies and bullet seating plugs to match.

I'm shooting the TLC359-180-RF out of my 336D, 336SC and 336ER. I get slightly better performance than I do with the 180-grain Speer FP. The only change I would recommend off-hand is that the mid-nose diameter be .354" instead of .355". If you make other changes to the design, that's okay but please do not refer to it as a "Ranch Dog" boolit or mold as I always get stuck with the questions no matter who honchos the buy. I am not interested in Honchoing the buy.

Performance: 2174 FPS out of the short, 18.5" barrel of my "D" delivering a .36 MOA (shot and measured at 100-yards). The only change I can live with is the slight reduction in the bore-riding nose. Cartridge OAL is 2.34".

I hope to be up and running in a couple months but this boolit mold wouldn't be available until later (summer) depending on the response I see from the other molds.

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TrophyRoom/2006/359AdrianHog.jpg
Dead hog...

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC359180RF/Images/BoolitHoleHog.jpg
Wound channel

Little Joe
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
If we can get 10 people that want in on this by February 1st a group buy can be started.I don't know if I will run it or not yet but I have a feeling I know someone that will.I will call my friend on the phone to find out in the next couple of days.

If you want a mold that makes a bullet like this one let me know.

Out of here for now,
Little Joe

PatMarlin
01-07-2007, 08:25 PM
If you're getting that kind of performance Michael why change the dimentions at all?

Is there a feeding problem? I would be interested in the same dimentions, and hope to get that kind of accuracy out of my 336.

Cayoot
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll be in for sure!:drinks:

Ranch Dog
01-08-2007, 12:48 AM
If you're getting that kind of performance Michael why change the dimentions at all?

Is there a feeding problem? I would be interested in the same dimentions, and hope to get that kind of accuracy out of my 336.

I would like it to be perfect. It is actually okay but originally I wanted a 2.36" overall length. With the boolit seated to that overall length, there is light rifling engraving just immediately aft of the mid-nose measurement. The Marlin's have a very short throat. The .354" diameter would allow the boolit base to be flush with the case's neck/shoulder and allow maximum powder capacity. Powder capacity is desperately needed to make the 35 Rem perform.

I've got a living, breathing test medium in the form of my feral hogs. I (we if others are involved) take the shot just immediately aft of the shoulder through the shield. If you've never seen a hog skinned, it is hard to impress upon you how thick the cartilage is in the this area. I wouldn't hesitated to use this boolit on any North American hoofed big-game.

There is absolutely no feeding problems with the boolit.

mike in co
01-08-2007, 02:11 AM
michael,
what is the weight with the gas check in place ??
what alloy ??

thanks
mike

Ranch Dog
01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Greetings Mike...

180-grains with the 10-1 Lee standard. This particular lot of boolits I'm shooting (1 left :( ) where cast from 1 to 1 melted BTB and WW, water quenched and they weigh 180-grains with the GC and measure 27 BHN with the Lee tester. Here is a chart from my work on the various weights you will see.

Little Joe
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I think we should start this group buy.This is a must have mold for the 35 caliber shooters and it uses that good Lee brown alox lube too.

I will be keeping a close watch on this.Just post here telling me you want a mold.

thanks,

Little Joe

jeff223
01-10-2007, 10:03 AM
OK guys i talked to Joe and he doesnt want to HONCHO a deal but i would like one of these molds so that means i will HONCHO the deal if there is enough interest

here's what im thinking.with LEE being so backed up at their factory and with the special orders taking so long to fill i think this group buy would should be open until we get a total of 10 molds.we would pay an extra $10.00 each for these molds but we wouldnt have to wait for weeks or months to reach the 25 mold mark and maybe we could have these molds in the early spring

*****we will be looking for a total of ten mold buyers for this deal*****

i will start an offical group buy in a couple of days

PatMarlin
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I would really like to have this mold, but with so many group buys going, I think I'll have to wait until Michael has them for sale... :drinks:

jeff223
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Pat if i dont get enough interest in this boolit mold i will just wait and get a mold from RANCH DOG himself too but it sure would be nice to have one in the spring

from the sounds of things this boolit shoots just like the 44 cal Ranch Dog boolit so i got to have a mold.why even monkey around with some of the other designs when you can end up with a design thats been put through the tests by RANCH DOG himself

the 44cal shoots in about all the guns going out there.i never heard anything bad about the design or the accuracy from this boolit from a number of guns.when i ran the Ranch Dog group buy it filled up quick and i had a big number of buyers too

i might as well go for it

Cayoot
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
As long as you give us a couple of months (because I'm already committed to so many gbs now) I would be in for at least one for sure.