PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Length

Scrounger
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Over the years I've read many articles and stories as to how much difference 2 inches in a .357 revolver barrel will affect velocity. Not a lot of consensus. Do any of you have a good idea on that, .357 Magnum, heavy loaded 158 grain bullet? Reason is, I have a S&W 686 in 6 inch and I have a hankering to get a 4 inch, and MAYBE sell the 6 inch. To complicate matters, I have now run across a 5 inch barrel model that was a limited production run. Compromise is always good, isn't it????

9.3X62AL
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Scrounger--

Some years ago, some friends and I got a group of 357 Magnum revolvers together--I think it was 5 with 4" barrels and either 6 or 7 with 6" tubes. Most were S&W, and at least 2 of each barrel length were L-frames (586 or 686). One was my present 686 x 4". The revolvers' service lives varied from fairly new to really well-fired. The ammo was my agency's W-W 158 JHP service load, of which we had a surplus to "dispose of".

After the firing was over--about 750 rounds--the consensus result was that 6" barrels averaged about 1290 FPS, while the 4" tubes ran about 1175 IIRC. My own revolver (the 686 x 4") runs these loads about 1200 FPS. I still carry this revolver and load, and shoot it frequently. Interestingly, the Ruger BisHawk's 7.5" barrel achieves about 1350 FPS or so with that load--not a huge step forward velocity-wise from the 6" tubes. A 4" barrel only gave up 175 FPS or so to a tube almost twice its length, in other words.

There has been a general rule with the Magnums in 4" vs. 6" barrels that you give up 10% of your velocity to gain 1/3 barrel shortening. These results generally followed that rule, at least with our authorized load. I have 3 revolvers with 5"-5.5" barrels, and that length might be the ideal barrel dimension for an all-purpose sideiron.

I should add here that some guns were "slower" than others, some "faster". A "fast" 4" often tied or finished ahead of a "slow" 6" velocity-wise. Believing that would be the case--caused us to gather an assortment of revolvers for this little sequence. It kind of verified for me that barrel length should be chosen by virtue of the sidearm's intended use, since all handgun choices are deeply compromised trade-offs between ballistic capability (power and capacity) vs. portability. I retain my deep prejudice that a 4"-barrelled double action revolver in 357 Magnum does more things well than any other single handgun platform.

MT Gianni
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Al, Any idea what the powder was or it's speed? Fast slow or medium? I'm guessing medium, blue dot or similar from the velocity but curious if you know. I think slower powders would be more dependant on bbl length but have no proof to defend my thoughts. Gianni.

MT Gianni
12-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Scrounger, for me the difference is always in intended use. I am long waisted and short legged. I pack a 4" much more comfortably than a 6". 5" is also good, but a 6" requires a high ride holster. If this is a car, front door or range gun it is one thing but a put on your hip and hike through the woods is another. I would figure it's main use before I changed at all. Gianni.

Bass Ackward
12-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Over the years I've read many articles and stories as to how much difference 2 inches in a .357 revolver barrel will affect velocity. Not a lot of consensus. Do any of you have a good idea on that, .357 Magnum, heavy loaded 158 grain bullet?

Scrounger,

Hard to say. The biggest single variable is the width of the barrel / cylinder gap. If you have this tight on a 4", the velocity can exceed a factory spec'd 6". So as Al said, depends on the gun.

What I would do, is go look over a 4"er. Some people believe that older eyes see the sights better on shorter barrels, but not me. For me, I need to see light on the sides of the blade in the rear notch. To do that I either need a wider than standard back notch or to push that front blade as far away as I can get it.

My point is look and see what you think. Sight picture may push your decision one way the other. And if you "like" that particular gun, you can make it a 4 for about $150.

GP100man
12-28-2006, 08:29 PM
BA

you hit on a important issue ,sight picture.
i too do better with a little daylite on each side!!
thats why i lean to the 6" over the 4"

for extended carry i put mine in a quality shoulder rig.
by product of shoulder rig , it keeps my pants up!!!

GP :castmine:

9.3X62AL
12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty sure these Winchester factory loads use a ball powder similar to WW-296. I just pulled a bullet in one of my factory rounds, and it looks very much like "canister 296". Slightly lighter-colored, but the same spherical grain of similar size. The factory rounds lack the way-cool flame signature of 296 handloads in low-light/4" barrel shooting--there's flash all right, just not as pronounced as the canister powders. So there are differences of some sort.

Larry Gibson
12-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Deputy Al pretty much sums it up with current .357 factory ammunition which is loaded in deferance to smaller framed handguns. A 4" barrel is about as good as a 6" barrel except the 6" affords a longer sight radius and less error in sighting. However, some of us still load the .357 to it's intended potential given the M27 revolver it was introduced in. With a proper 6" barreled revolver with 150-158 gr bullets you can consistantly realize 200+ fps more from a 6" barrel than current factory ammo gets out of a 4" barrel. Those are safe loads by the way. Some may say 200+ fps isn't any big deal but I dissagree, there IS a big terminal difference between a 1200 fps 158 load and a 1400+ fps load. Many Many HP/SPs will not give very good expansion from a 4" barrel at 1200 fps but will perform as intended at 1400+ fps. I spent 18 years in LE and the 10+ years were with 4 and 5" barreled revolvers. Never found a bit of difference in carrying either one. I still carry revolvers from 2 1/2" to 6 1/2" on a belt holster. Most people make 3 mistakes when buyiong a holster for a revolver; 1st they go cheap then complain about the holster. Much better to spend a little (maybe even 2-3 times as much) and get a good holster that will last and carry the revolver comfortably. Second is they buy the wrong style of holster or don't even consider getting 2 different styles. A high ride behind the hip concealed carry holster is most often not very comfortable when hunting and a back pack is carried. It also can be uncomfortable on long auto rides. A high riding holster on the hip or a cross draw probably is better for hunting or woods bumming. The third mistake is most people seem to want to put the holster on the flimsiest "in style" belts that aren't much good at holding pants up let alone a holstered revolver. A thick stiff leather pants belt is needed or an external belt of 1 1/2 to 2" worn over the top of the pants belt and kept in place with keepers is even better (LEOs know what I'm talking about. A 6 to 6 1/2" revolver can be just as comfortable to carry as a 4" revolver if you choose a good quality holster for the intended type of carry and wear it on an appropriate belt. Another trick I am also prone to use when wearing any belted handgun in the field is the leave the belt a little loose for comfort in rugged terrain and to wear a good set of suspenders also.

Larry Gibson

versifier
12-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Really good post, Larry. Couldn't agree more and, dang, I wish I'd written it myself. :drinks:

georgeld
12-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Larry:
Good post.
My gut leans on the buckle, but, don't hang over (yet).
Can't stand even a tightly tucked in shirt hanging on my neck and shoulders.

I don't mind a 3" belt with a big iron and hunting knife, plus 24 .45 Colts hanging down around my pockets or mid thigh.

Had a keltec P40 but, couldn't work the staging trigger and the grip was so small my fingers wouldn't close far enough to set it off. Sold it this summer and been without. had a nice cross draw for it, kept that.

Always wear tucked in shirts, but, loose enough they don't pull down on my neck and shoulders. Getting one out from a iwb wouldn't be handy from the little exp. I've had. Can't have it owb, draws too many lookers.

Thinking as unhandy as it will be, a pocket carry might be about as good as anything else. Wish I knew where to start. Don't mind spending the money, but, don't want to spend six months income on holsters that won't ever be use either.

I'm about to order a Charter Arms "Off Duty" 38, that 12.5oz alumunum job.

Suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all,

9.3X62AL
12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Good post, Larry. I do like Lyman #358156 going 1500 FPS from my BisHawk x 7.5", these get to about 1350-1375 FPS in the 4" 686. FUN TO SHOOT. The factory "downloads" are a real disservice to the caliber.

georgeld
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Have any of you guys chronied a .38 spl in a 2"??

I'd like to know what loads do in that short a barrel.

Thanks,