PDA

View Full Version : Eating lunch at the range

Shuz
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I often take a sandwich down to the range with me. In order to make sure I don't ingest any lead or GSR, I also take a handwashing jug that I use for elk camp. It consists of a 1 gallon jug with a screw top and a hole punched near the bottom with a golf tee inserted that acts as a water plug. It also has a bar of Lava soap wrapped in a piece of the wifes old panty hose and tied to the handle along with a small dish towel for drying. Works like a charm, and uses very little water.

gnoahhh
05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Good idea. My rifle range is 45 minutes away so I often make a day of it and take my lunch along.

fredj338
05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Wet wipes are a handy alternative to washing up. Not as good as soap & water, but adequate to get shooting residue off.

Doc Highwall
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I put my sandwich in a sandwich bag and eat it while it is still in the bag by pealing the bag down like a banana so my hand never contacts the sandwich.

mpmarty
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
We have a catered hot dog stand at our club range. I eat there and don't worry about it.

Charley
05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
One of the easiest, handiest handcleaners is made by Whitmire labs, for the professional pest management industry. Called PT 3, it is an instant soap and water product...just foam it on your hands, rub them together, and wipe dry. It is every vehicle I own. This is the only non industry source I could find quickly, but check with your local pest managemt folks, or see if some of the real nuserys or garden centers have it or will order it for you.

http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/instantsoapnwaterfoamingcleanser.aspx

onondaga
05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
I like a nice buck shot sandwich with lettuce, tomato and Alox on a bagel.

Gary

gnoahhh
05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I prefer a Kaiser roll sprinkled with #9 chilled shot instead of sesame seeds.

Dan Cash
05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Best hand cleaner is the front of your pants. In my 65 years, I have never heard of so many anal outlooks regarding lead. Sheesh!

Tatume
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I put my sandwich in a sandwich bag and eat it while it is still in the bag by pealing the bag down like a banana so my hand never contacts the sandwich.

+1 on the sandwich bag. I do this at work too, if I can't wash my hands.

MtGun44
05-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Sandwich bag is plenty fine.

Bill

Huntducks
05-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Best hand cleaner is the front of your pants. In my 65 years, I have never heard of so many anal outlooks regarding lead. Sheesh!

I agree I think many of you have been brain washed into to many it going to harm me stuff by the goverment enviro whack jobs.

Live you life and enjoy i'm sure glad I don't have the out look some of you have.

TAKE UP CHECKERS.

nes4ever69
05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I agree I think many of you have been brain washed into to many it going to harm me stuff by the goverment enviro whack jobs.

Live you life and enjoy i'm sure glad I don't have the out look some of you have.

TAKE UP CHECKERS.

about like one place i worked at, high concerns about the dangers of lead at the shooting range and fear of lead poisioning and other lead hazards. but go down aisle and you have lead bullets and lead shot. that was ok and no fear of that lead as it was safe.

Finster101
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm with you. I have worked as an auto mechanic for 25+years. I can't imagine anything I handle at the range could be any worse than the things I have sprayed or poured on to my hands in that time. Besides, if you don't build up a resistance you're a gonner anyway. :p

James

buyobuyo
05-30-2011, 04:46 PM

I would have to agree. I shoot, cast, handle lead at work, and I'm sure exposed to vaporized lead because of the testing we do. Washing isn't always an option, and I don't worry about it. The little bit that you may ingest from touching a sandwich isn't going to kill you. When I get my yearly physical done, I have them run my blood lead level, since they take blood anyways, and my insurance covers it so doesn't cost me anymore.

Von Gruff
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Growing up in the country and working on farms and high country stations meant that we were often away from home for the day and as Dan says the leg of your trousers is about as much as was thought to be needed. Same as the construction sights after I became a builder. Lead transfer at the range is a laughable concern.

Von Gruff.

walltube
05-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Dan, I do agree. Sheesh it is, too, in my 72.8 years.

This "you're gonna instantly break out in boils and raw pustules" doomsday warnings to wash hands when after touching, looking at, or even mention galena have become a bit of a bore. I mean, holy ebola, we're not handling HIV contaminated substances. Sheesh again! When speaking of lead contamination, is there a living anything of any specie alive on planet Missouri?

But, if'n someone want to subscribe to a panic button de'jour mentality, the P.C in D.C. Eco Freaks will have us believe all that and more.

Pass the ladle please? My t-bone needs a bit of liquid Lyman No. 2. ;)

Yours to The Last Linotype Ingot,
Harold

wrench
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
I've always been of the opinion that more people die from nerves than germs.
I'll put lead in there with the germs.
I don't worry about it. I've worked as a mechanic, machinist, and truck driver, wipe my hands off on my pants and call it good.

Shiloh
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
A little water from my canteen or handi wipes.

Shiloh

Jim
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Well, if I ain't dead from breathin' the fumes of stick weldin' for 25 years, I seriously doubt if any lead is gonna do me in. Unless it's a small piece movin' at a high rate of speed.

Doc Highwall
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I have worked with oil that had a high paraffin content and you could not get the smell off your hands, like when you washed car parts with gas and then went on a date later all you could smell was gas every time your hand was near your nose.

casterofboolits
05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
I always take a couple gallons of water and some liguid soap along with my cooler with sandwiches, soda, fruit, etc. Was taught to wash up on the back porch before going inside or eating. Kind of too old to break the habit now!

Baron von Trollwhack
05-30-2011, 09:42 PM
When you have an empty, drained fully, laundry soap jug, or even a dish soap squirt bottle, fill it with water and keep in your truck, or etc. It will be mildly soapy water. Good for washing lots of dirty hands, deer guts off your butchering tools, minor scrapes, poison ivy exposure, and most any kind of nastiness you need to wash from outdoors work. BvT

Az Rick
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM
What'd ol' Rick die of,...eatin' a sandwich.

Riddle me this,.. why does a sandwich made by someone else taste so much better than one you made, with the exact same stuff?
The other day we were in a corral at lunch time, the cows had been busy. We sat in the truck and ate breathing the sweet smell of livestock. The sandwich my Wife made tasted mighty-fine.

I rest my case,...
Best, Rick

Oh, I did clean my fingernails after lunch with my pocketknife.

white eagle
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't worry about it

DIRT Farmer
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Considering what I handled as a medic, and had deposited on me mostly aginst my will, I am not concerned about lead. The service would not test us for blood/bodyly fluid borne pathagens, so we donated to the Red Cross. They test the blood, Never told me not to come back so I guess I am OK.

phatman
06-02-2011, 02:58 AM
I'll bet I melted down 20000 pounds of lead in 1974 to recast into sinkers.
I think if that didn't do it then I dont need to worry about it.

The things we do to make a buck:redneck:

Cheers, John

Mumblypeg
06-02-2011, 04:57 AM
For whatever reason that one chooses to wash his hands his his business. I use to keep a jug of water and a bucket in the truck for such things then I saw one of those neat little pressureized beer keggs. That got me to thinking... I took one home after a friend had emptyed it and took the garden hose with a squeeze handle and placed it on the spout as I opened the valve on the kegg and back filled it with water. After a few rinses to clean the beer out I ended up with a neat little pressureized water can. It will fill to whatever your water pressure is and holds about a gallon. I do get wet sometimes when filling it though.

Lizard333
06-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, if I ain't dead from breathin' the fumes of stick weldin' for 25 years, I seriously doubt if any lead is gonna do me in. Unless it's a small piece movin' at a high rate of speed.

Acute Lead poisoning is the only way I can think of that most people die from lead.

Just another way of putting it. We all have to die from something. Don't think lead from handling it is going to make much difference.

Some of us are more cautious than others. To each their own. :Fire:

troy_mclure
06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
im more concerned about the taste burnt pyrodex leaves on my food than anything. my range has indoor bathrooms with sinks.

Longarm
06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I rinse off out of a jug of water before eating, just to rinse the dust off my fingers from picking up brass. I'm more concerned with "lead poisoning" from idiots at the range than I am about ingesting the stuff!

dverna
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I shoot mostly light loads in the pistols and my hands get dirty from handling cases. It seems like a bad idea not to clean up before handling food. I am a bit of a wuss though.

Plus my girlfriend would yell at me if I wiped my paws on my pants to clean them off.

Don aka girlie man

XWrench3
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
i am all for teaching the kids to wash up at home. but i am also a realist, and know that it isn't always possible. when i go deer hunting, i take rubber gloves to gut the deer with. between that, some nasty old swamp water (if i can find any) and a wet wipe or two, that is as good as it gets sometimes. if your body NEVER gets any germs to fight off, you will never have a strong imune system. would i purposly swallow gun powder or a few cast boolits? no, of course not. but i seriously doubt that a small exposure to it will kill anyone. unless of course, that exposure comes from the wrong end of a gun, @ 900 fps or better! the government has cried wolf (about the "dangers" of lead) for so long, that even shooters are beginning to believe them! ((i was looking for the smiley face that is pukeing, but i could not find it to insert it here))

Shuz
06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Now, here's the rest of the story------------my Grandfather was a house painter back in the day when all the paints contained lead. He told me about his partner, who never washed his hands before eating lunch. He died at and early age from lead poisoning. My Grandfather lived to 93, and always washed his hands before eating.
Perhaps, some traits, like people, are just "diehards"

Hardcast416taylor
06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
If I get hungary while shooting on the range, I stop what I`m doing and walk up to my house and wash up and eat lunch. I`ve eaten many quick lunches in the field as well as being a plumber/construction worker without washing up. My mother used to say "you will probably eat a peck of dirt before you die".Robert

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
If I get hungary while shooting on the range, I stop what I`m doing and walk up to my house and wash up and eat lunch. I`ve eaten many quick lunches in the field as well as being a plumber/construction worker without washing up. My mother used to say "you will probably eat a peck of dirt before you die".Robert

only a peck , must be clean were you live we have to eat a bushel or so sais grandma

you could take a lesson form the cornish lead miners of south west wisconsin they are the reason we are the badger state , you eat your pasty holding onto it by the crinkled crust where the 2 sides fold together and are pinched shut then you leave that part for the Tommyknokkers for good luck as they watch over the mine if ye feed um and cause mischif if yee don't.