PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks and 4500 Lubrisizer?

VTDW
12-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I have been sitting a gas check on the ram that goes inside the sizing die and letting the top punch size the boolit, lube and seat the gas check. It SEEMS to be working. I haven't loaded any yet. The 4500 came with a gas check seater but I haven't seen the need to use it.

Is this OK to do??

Thanks,

Dave

Harry O
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I have had a 4500 for more than a year and have not used the little gascheck dohickey that came with it. I take the bullet, press it down on the gascheck (most are snug enough that they don't fall off), place it in the 4500 and size/seat/lube it. No problems so far.

rmb721
12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I have one mould that I have to use the gas check seater. The mould is a hair oversize. It takes a lot more time by causing a complete other step. Also for this mould, I can only use Hornady gas checks. Lyman's just get smashed. It is best if you don't need the gas check seater.

w30wcf
12-28-2006, 05:57 PM
VTDW,

It is ok to do if the gas check fits completely onto the bullet before seating.

For the best possible accuracy though, it is best to preseat the gas checks to make sure that they are completely flush with the base before lubing/sizing.

w30wcf

arkypete
12-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Taking the contrarian point is use my Lyman 450 like an arbor press to seat the gas check on 50 to 100 bullets. I use a flat piece of steel to set the bullet gas check down and the nose punch to seat the GC.
After all the GC are seated, then size and lube.
I also use Hornady GCs.
Jim

beagle
12-28-2006, 06:09 PM
That method works and has been used for years by all of us.

There are problems doing it and I encountered one this week. A shooting friend called and said he was loading .30/30s and when he chambered a round, the rifling engraved the noses.

Now, I know several things about that. He was sizing soft 311291s to .309 from probably .311-312". He was base first sizing like you are. He was seating GCs as he was sizing and they were not anealed. He was doing the sizing in an unheated shed.

With this combination, he was bumnping the noses slightly due to the lube being cold and he was seating new, unanealed checks. Th epressure to oversome these two factors bumped the noses up to where they barely fit his barrel.

Yes, it works, but be aware of these two factors. Normally, the GC seater will seat the check and just barely start the sizing process on the check base. Kind of gives it a head start in sizing.

If the checks are tight and the bullets are straight (roll a few across a flat surface and you can tell), that's the way to go./beagle

I have been sitting a gas check on the ram that goes inside the sizing die and letting the top punch size the boolit, lube and seat the gas check. It SEEMS to be working. I haven't loaded any yet. The 4500 came with a gas check seater but I haven't seen the need to use it.

Is this OK to do??

Thanks,

Dave

VTDW
12-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks folks. I can sleep well tonight.:drinks:

Dave