PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag Ruger 99/44

x101airborne
05-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Needless to say, I love the 44 mag cartridge.

So, when a used Ruge 99/44 came for sale with a Weaver 4x german post reticle for 599.00, I grabbed it up. I have not had any time to play with it, but just out of curiosity does anyone know of any problems using boolits in these rifles? I would be just tickled if the 300 gr ranch dogs I use in my Redhawk, my Marlin, and my Smith would work in the ruger also. Then I would have two sets of rifles / pistols that all used the same ammo. I intend to try them when I get a chance, but if these rifles are like some of the other "weaker" 44 semi-autos, then there is no point in pushing the rifle. Any thoughts?

L1A1Rocker
05-29-2011, 07:38 PM
If it uses the same rotary magazine as the 96/44 and 77/44 there is a potential problem with the heavy boolits. Some of the heavy boolits have the crimp groove in a location that makes the cartridge too long to work in the rotary mags.

I just picked up a 96/44 and just finished casting up a few hundred of these

http://www.mp-molds.com/images/test_mag44_44marlin_5.jpg

I figure, out of the three crimp grooves at least the shortest one will function in the rotary mag if not the middle one. Don't know about the "ranch dog" you mentioned. Sorry, I'm too much of a noob to casting to be of more help.

ironhead7544
05-30-2011, 11:28 PM
The rifles are strong enough for heavy bullet loads. The problem is that the max length is the standard length for factory rounds. Longer loads wont fit in the magazine. I used some of the heaver cast bullets in 44 Special cases and that worked OK for feed. Careful you dont get those in a 44 Special revolver. Some of the 300 gr bullets are shorter and can be used. Just get those if you want a heavier bullet. The twist is 1 in 20, IIRC, so 300 grain bullets should be accurate.

x101airborne
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Tried it today with some 240 jhp ammo just to see if the scope was on. It hit 3 feet left and a foot high. 2 rounds to sight it in and got a 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards. I am excited so far. By the way, this is a tubular magazine 4+1 capacty. I have never seen one with a tube mag, but then again, the rifles are not that common in wide open country.

NHlever
06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
The 99/44 was a semi auto .44 with a detachable magazine, the older semi auto .44 (the Deerslayer) was a tubular magazine .44 which was quite popular here in the east at one time, and one seldom sees them used. Actually one seldom sees the newer "clip" fed .44's for sale either which means that most folks that have either like them pretty well.

xfoxofshogo
06-06-2011, 11:14 AM
i have a 44 mag semi-auto ruger carbine shoot good you load it like a shotgun it hold 5 rd dose some one know what it calld ????

NHlever
06-07-2011, 08:48 AM
i have a 44 mag semi-auto ruger carbine shoot good you load it like a shotgun it hold 5 rd dose some one know what it calld ????

I think you have the same gun as the Original poster has, and it is called the Ruger "Deerslayer". It is a very good deer/bear/hog gun, especially at eastern woods ranges.

Buddy
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I think you have the same gun as the Original poster has, and it is called the Ruger "Deerslayer". It is a very good deer/bear/hog gun, especially at eastern woods ranges.

Back when the Deerslayer came out Ruger warned against shooting lead in them. The gas ports were bad at clogging up. I've haven't shot mine over 30yrs so I can't verify the warning.