PDA

View Full Version : You Won't Believe This!!

GSPKurt
12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm standing behing the counter of the gun shop I got a PT job at, my third day there. Guy walks in, looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place him. He gets to the counter, and I see embroidered on his 5.11 vest the name-

:holysheep :holysheep MASSAD AYOOB :holysheep :holysheep

Keep in mind this is a little out of the way town south of Gainesville, FL.

Turns out he knew the old owner who passed away a few months ago, and wanted to see what we were doing with the place.

Hip's Ax
12-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Did you genuflect?

Swagerman
12-28-2006, 01:05 PM
He probably wanted to beat you out of that All American press new in the box. :mrgreen:

Jim

Bret4207
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I hope you kissed his ring...

Actually it would be his Kimber Pro Match, tactical extreme, professional witness, tactical gunwriters only club, extreme tactical, you'll never be able to afford it ring.

(Sorry. If it had been Craig Bragington or David "Hound Dog" Fortier it would have been worse.)

chunkum
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
LOL you guys get an "A" from me on this one for sure.
Best Regards,
chunkum

sundog
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Is this the same guy who preaches about not using reloads for self defense but no one can come up with an instance where it has made any difference? Just wondering. sundog

Scrounger
12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Is this the same guy who preaches about not using reloads for self defense but no one can come up with an instance where it has made any difference? Just wondering. sundog

Well he has to say something to get people to buy his testimony.

dragonrider
12-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Met him once myself at a gunshow many years ago, I was buying a holster turned out to be the same one he was wearing and he showed me how he wore it, we talked it back and forth for about 10 mins, I bought it, still got it, still like it though I don't use it much anymore, wore out the belt it came with. Seemed like an ok guy. I think I have a book of his somewhere called "In the gravest extreme" ??? been years since I read but I probably enjoyed it as I liked to read his articles.

threett1
12-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Yup, Sundog, thats him. Small world, huh?

GSPKurt
12-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Actually, he asked if we had some type of S&W J or K frame revolver, pre- 19-something. He was talking to my boss and I had no freakin' idea what he was talking about.

GSPKurt
12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
He probably wanted to beat you out of that All American press new in the box. :mrgreen:

Jim

ROFLMAO

robertbank
12-28-2006, 11:38 PM
A true American Legend in his own mind. Ah well it sells and some folks buy.

Take Care

Bob

MtGun44
12-29-2006, 12:15 AM
So Harry Beckwith passed on, and somebody else is running his place
in Micanopy. I used to buy my reloading supplies there in the late 60s and
early 70s when going to UF.

I met Ayoob a long time ago and he wrote some nice things about my shooting
skills in "Police Marksman" about a thousand years ago when I was a serious
shooter.

I tend to like the guy, but understand that some folks don't.

Bill

Bret4207
12-29-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't dislike HIM, I just find it irritating when some one passes themselves off as a "cop" and later you find out it's some part time job he had. I enjoy his articles up to the point where the name brand gear and "condition yellow" crap gets tossed around. The guy is a professional witness and writer. I'm glad he's making a living, and agree with some of the guns he likes. But then, I've never seen him NOT like a gun if you follow my drift, so we're bound to agree on something.

MGySgt
12-29-2006, 09:53 AM

I seen a piece on American Justice a few (?) months back where the husband loaded his wife some light wad cutters for her 38.

As it turns out she commited sucide with that same gun. He was charged with murder because there was no stippling on her head and the 'Experts' said there is no way she could have shot herself and not had powder burns.

At his appeal of the conviction another expert proved that it was by recreating his reloads afer he broke some down.

A lot of money down the drain, he lost his job and spent time in prison before he was found not guilty.

The problem is that the 'Experts' can not go to the store and buy the same ammo so the powder residue is different.

For the cost of factory ammo - I will use it to possibly save myself some high legal fees.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Drew

45nut
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
. I'm glad he's making a living, and agree with some of the guns he likes. But then, I've never seen him NOT like a gun if you follow my drift, so we're bound to agree on something.

FWIW: I like his choice on the S&W 625 for the moon clips(fast-fumble-free-reloads) as a home defense gun.
His reason and Jerry Miculeks performance with that platform surely turned me to searching for one.

GSPKurt
12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
So Harry Beckwith passed on, and somebody else is running his place
in Micanopy. I used to buy my reloading supplies there in the late 60s and
early 70s when going to UF.

I met Ayoob a long time ago and he wrote some nice things about my shooting
skills in "Police Marksman" about a thousand years ago when I was a serious
shooter.

I tend to like the guy, but understand that some folks don't.

Bill

HOLY CRAP!! I can't believe you know Harry/went to his store! If you know Pickett's in Newberry, they bought the store.

MGySgt
12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
45 Nut - I have a 625, 45ACP.

Great gun - I shoot the RCBS 45 230 CM out of it sized to 452. Great shooter!

With the moon clips you sure can shoot up a lot of ammo in a hurry!

Drew

MtGun44
12-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Kurt,

I knew Harry a bit, only as a sometimes customer. I was a student at UF,
and that means BROKE most of the time. I do remember him, and his place.
He always wore a revolver in a holster around the store. I was buying
reloading supplies and ammo for my few guns that I could afford in those
days.

I know Ayoob did a story for AM Handgunner on Harry's awesome shootout
with some thieves that crashed into the store one night and were armed
to the teeth, planning on a bigtime gun robbery. What they got was Harry
with a shoulder bag full of loaded mags for his S&W 9mm submachine gun
and a deadly shootout. Harry won, they lost. Amazing story, I forget many
of the key details. I'm sure that is how Ayoob met Harry.

So - small world, I was in Interlachen yesterday, and will be back tomorrow,
now in Savannah. Is Micanopy the sleepy little burg that I remember from
the 1970s? I doubt it as most of that part of FLA has changed a lot in the
last 35+ yrs.

I still think Ayoob has a lot to offer in reporting on shootouts and things that
those of us that go armed regularly can benefit from. I think Ayoob either has
moved to Lake City or goes there in the winter to get away from the wonderful
New Hampshire winters. I'd like to run into him and see if he even remembers
writing about me years ago, probably not.

Bill

MT Gianni
12-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't dislike HIM, I just find it irritating when some one passes themselves off as a "cop" and later you find out it's some part time job he had. I enjoy his articles up to the point where the name brand gear and "condition yellow" crap gets tossed around. The guy is a professional witness and writer. I'm glad he's making a living, and agree with some of the guns he likes. But then, I've never seen him NOT like a gun if you follow my drift, so we're bound to agree on something.

Bret, A friend was eyeing a H&K p7m8 the squeeze cock 9mm at a gun shop. He say Ayoob at a training session in Boise where he told him "statistics show not everyone can cock it in a moment of stress". I never read that in print though. In the end my friend decided $450 was too much '82 dollars. The little guns go for a lot more now. Gianni.

GSPKurt
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Is Micanopy the sleepy little burg that I remember from
the 1970s?

Yeah, mostly antique shops, and Cafe Risque. Too bad we're not open tomorrow, I'd meet you there.

Ricochet
12-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Harry's awesome shootout
with some thieves that crashed into the store one night and were armed
to the teeth, planning on a bigtime gun robbery. What they got was Harry
with a shoulder bag full of loaded mags for his S&W 9mm submachine gun
and a deadly shootout. Harry won, they lost. Amazing story, I forget many
of the key details.

All right!