PDA

View Full Version : mould with gas check installed???

abunaitoo
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm just thinking out of the box.
Anyone know if there ever was a nose pour mould, that you would install the gas check in the mould, before you pour?????
I'm not sure if it would work because of the different expansion rates of the two metals, but if it would work, it would take care of loose gas checks.

btroj
05-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Can it be done? Yes.
Think of this however, you are placing a small item in a very hot mould. Good way to burn your fingers. Also might be hard to keep a good rhythm so quality and consistency may be an issue.

This is another of those ideas that sounds great until you really look into it.

onondaga
05-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Might be possible in some cases. Gas checks are designed to fit the reduced shank area of the bullet and then be crimped to place with a bullet sizing die. Consequently they are usually larger in diameter than boolit diameter. It is very possible that the larger diameter gas check will interfere with mold closing and cause havoc casting. I'd be worried most about that. Just because I've never read of anybody doing this doesn't mean it is impossible, but check with a good light that your mold blocks are completely closed and will close easily every time or you could make a mess in the mold and have wildly over size boolits.

Gary

theperfessor
05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, there were the Harvey Protex-bore molds that used a zinc washer placed into the mold before casting. Considering how difficult it would be to put in just one GC or washer, trying to cast with a multi-cavity mold would be darn near impossible. And all the time you're fiddling with the GC/washer your mold is cooling off. And of course you'll be straining out the GCs from the top of your melt when you throw the cold cast wrinkled slugs back in the pot.

Would probably be possible, but I'll stick with multi-cavity molds and seating GCs the conventional way.

beagle
05-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I've had luck with punching a hole in the middle of the check and pouring through the hole. You have to float the checks on the melt and place them with tweezers.

It's a pain and an easy way to get burned but it works on PB designed bullets./beagle

MtGun44
05-30-2011, 03:38 PM
"It's a pain and an easy way to get burned but it works on PB designed bullets./beagle"

Sounds like the voice of toasted fingers experience. I hate fiddling with the darned things
when they are at room temp, this would drive me crazy. No thanks.

Bill

cbrick
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I've had luck with punching a hole in the middle of the check and pouring through the hole. You have to float the checks on the melt and place them with tweezers.

It's a pain and an easy way to get burned but it works on PB designed bullets./beagle

Think "Wilk" gas checks from several decades ago. That is exactly what the Wilk was, they marketed special notched tweezers to help put them in the mold and a die set to punch the holes in the checks. Fizzled quickly. They were also tested put on backwards on the front driving band, middle bands etc.

Back in 1990, in the first Handloaders Bullet Making Annual, Dave Scovill reported on the perforated GC developed by Edmund Wilk. (Glen Fryxell, From Ingot To Target, Chapter 10)

Rick

abunaitoo
05-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Found this about the Wilk Gas Check.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl134partial.pdf
Interesting reading.

Mk42gunner
06-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I also remember reading about somebody making a mold designed to have copper wire placed in the mold to take the place of the driving bands. I don't think the idea worked very well, or lasted very long. Seems like the one I read about was a .375 diameter mold meant for the .375 H&H.

Robert

btroj
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I think I saw something for 375 that used 3/8 in bands cut from copper tubing placed in the grooves of the mould.

Like I said before, if these were viable systems they would still exist today. Too fiddly to work.