PDA

View Full Version : xray lead

idahoron
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a chance to pick up a chunk of X ray wall lead that is about 500 pounds. Knowing I will need to melt it down I am trying to figure out a price that I can live with. I know the guy wants to sell but I don't know what he wants yet. I need a price in the back of my mind that I can live with. I am thinking if I can get it under 100.00 It would be a decent deal. Has anyone seen a price for this lead? Ron

imashooter2
05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
X-ray shielding is generally regarded as "pure" and a buck a pound for "pure" in ingots is pretty much the going price. Since you have a piece of work in front of you making a 500 pound chunk into usable ingots, I'd make my offer accordingly.

bumpo628
05-29-2011, 02:22 PM
You can generally get pure lead for $1 per lb delivered in ingot form. So, if you're going to pick it up locally in raw form, then the price should be lower to compensate for processing and there is no shipping charge.

Shipping on 10 flat rate boxes would be about $100, so that brings the price down to $0.80 per lb right there. Estimate how much fuel it would cost you to smelt it down and you have your break-even point without counting your labor. Anything less than the break even point and you should get it.

Of course, you should try for your $100 price first just to see how badly he wants to get rid of it.

Gtek
05-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I just picked up 610 @ .71 lb. Around here not bad, tire stores will not deal with you. Mine was really clean, easy melt. $100 for 500 lbs. Me - I would jump, it ain't gonna ever be cheaper! Gtek

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2011, 07:04 AM
The wall lead i got tested about indentical to 5050 ww/pure in hardness. Im about sure its got small ammounts of tin and antimony in it.