PDA

View Full Version : Making 1-inch diameter 'Tube' for Lube-O-Matic

Land Owner
05-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Quicker to ask those with far less CRS than me.

Can you link me to some threads that discuss DIY pvc tube/dowel moulds for Lube-O-Matic style lube/sizers?

Johnch
05-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Another option is to melt the lube and pour it into your sizer

Been doing that for years
I just use a cheap pan , hot plate and bulk lube
Some guys use a microwave to do the same thing

Not as nice as lube in the stick form , especaliy if going to sell or give away
But cheap and easy

John

Chicken Thief
05-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Here's what i did at the lathe with some scrap:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/R0010451.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/R0010452.jpg

gray wolf
05-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Nice if you have a Lathe , but just in case you don't--just heat it and pour it into the
machine. Simple, easy, and it works.
But I can understand you wanting to make a mold for it.
I am sure someone will help with with some advise on P V C molds.

TCFAN
05-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Try here http://www.castingstuff.com/lead_smelter_and_lube_making.htm

Go down about a half page to the lube making section.

wistlepig1
05-30-2011, 12:13 AM
In the search at the top, type in, First Batch of "Speed Green", This may be of help on the Lube molds, it works for me. good shooting Martin

Land Owner
05-30-2011, 05:32 PM
TCFAN thanks! That is it exactly in concept. I don't have a lathe.

I am wondering if there is a spray on lube release to ease the hardened lube out of the mould so the "pushed" end isn't all banged up. Perhaps a large washer pulled through the mould, like a Bore Snake, or washer on a threaded rod, would do just fine.

prickett
06-01-2011, 11:27 PM
TCFAN thanks! That is it exactly in concept. I don't have a lathe.

I am wondering if there is a spray on lube release to ease the hardened lube out of the mould so the "pushed" end isn't all banged up. Perhaps a large washer pulled through the mould, like a Bore Snake, or washer on a threaded rod, would do just fine.

If you don't have a lathe you can use pvc pipe and a wooden dowel to accomplish the same thing.

Land Owner
06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Another option is to melt the lube and pour it into your sizer

...but this was slicker and worked GREAT! Thanks johnch! I have got to find something though to increase the density of the 50/50 Alox/Beeswax lube to make it a bit harder and less tacky. Shoots fine the way it is, but is TACKY to handle and carry. Probably will run some too in the HOT Florida sun, particularly if left in an auto for any length of time.

Doby45
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Carnuba Wax.. Get some from RandyRat

cajun shooter
06-07-2011, 10:25 AM
You may do as I do and add some canning paraffin to harden up the lube. Instead of using Duct Tape on the bottom, I buy the PVC end caps that are made for the pipe. Just sand the end down a little to where the cap will slip on and off easy. You may also make the sticks 6 inches long for a Star. You just cover the weep hole with a clamp. I don't know if the site you were given said anything about using Olive oil cooking spray in the PVC before pouring but your hardened lube will just slide out. I buy the cheap brand from the dollar store. If you don't use this it will be very hard to remove from the PVC.

gmsharps
06-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Use Pam or some other anti stick spray lube. Spray the inside of the PVC with enough to lube the inside but not enough for it to run. Cap one end of the PVC and pour your melted lube into the PVC then cap the other end. Keep it standing upright or you will get a void on the side of the stick. I put mine in the freezer and freeze them thus shrinking the lube slightly. After about an hour or so find an old broom handle this should fit inside the PVC fairly loose and cut off about 12inches and use it to push the lube sticks out. You will have a shrink hole for about 2inches in the stick. If you cut this off you can use it in a lubsizer that requires hollow sticks. cut you solid sticks to fit your lubesizer. I cut mine to about 5inches and it fits everything I have. A friend made me a 1in steel tube with a hole in the end with a brass rod that fits in it to make hollow sticks. I'm sure there are many more ways to do this but it works for me. Just my thoughts