PDA

View Full Version : New to me SRH slugging the barrel

randyrat
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I picked up a Ruger SRH 44 mag. So far I like shooting the hand cannon. It makes shooting a hard recoiling load like the 44 more comfortable than some of the lighter pistols.

I slugged the barrel and found; .4295The first 2.5" was tight, then it was slightly easier until I got closer to the added steal or the last 2.5"- 3" it tightened up a bit. Is this common or does it indicate a constriction to worry about.

So far I had to open one throat- had one flyer in 6 so figured there was something going on. Fixed

I do have some slight leading or lead wash just after the forcing cone- Does this indicate a rough forcing cone?

Loads that I shot so far( all sized .430)= Lee 310 gr GC over 13.5 of 2400 & 240 gr plain base over 7-10 grs of Unique

None of these loads were heavy pounding- That's all the farther I have been able to shoot so far. Maybe this gun could use a little fire lapping? I've never had to fire lap before that's why I am asking, before I play "home want to be gunsmith"

bhn22
05-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I had to lap mine to make it shoot cast well. Mine took 24 coarse, 12 medium, and 12 fine lapping bullets. Rugers stainless really resists abrasion.

98Redline
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Having a slight constriction where the barrel screws (right after the forcing cone) into the frame is fairly common as is a slight one about midway through the barrel, under the roll stamp.

The leading in the bore after the forcing cone is probably due to the barrel constriction rather than a rough forcing cone.

I would think that some firelapping would solve most of those problems and get you the best accuracy.

Char-Gar
05-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Can you hit what you shoot at? If you can, just shoot your pistol and don't sweat the small stuff.

If you can't, it is the fault of the pistol or the shooters? If it is the fault of the pistol, then have at it. If it is the fault of the shooter then concentrate and practice.

I know this does not answer your question, but maybe it does. I am a big believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. I didn't read anything in your post to indicate the pistol was broke. Specs and numbers don't mean a thing as long as the pistol shoots as well as you can hold.

btroj
05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I got leading in mine when I first got it. I fire lapped it, better but still had leading. A gas check design helped but still leading. I finallygot a mould that cast a bullet big enough to size .432 and no more leading. My old Lyman mould cast a .429 bullet and that was the cause of the leading.

I am with Chargar. If it is suitably accurate then why worry things?

Try different size bullets and you may find that fixes the leading issue.

randyrat
05-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes I'm jumping the gun a little soon. I have room to work a little before I get too excited. I haven't tried cast boolits a little fatter yet. I may just try them AS CAST and see if I can chamber them. I'll give it a go.