PDA

View Full Version : 1903 trigger problem

Shiloh
05-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I noticed yesterday that my trigger won't reset if the pressure is released. This is if you go past the first stage. There is slop, and the trigger has free play and rattles back and forth between the stages.

Pulling back the cocking piece or raising and lowering the bolt resets everything.
There is no oil on the sear or the contact on the bolt.

Suggestions folks?? I don't recall this happening the last time it was fired in early
Nov 2010. I have made no modifications.

Shiloh

old turtle
05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I am not a gunsmith but I have 5 Springfields. Two original and three are now target rifles. There is a small coil spring that sets in a cup on the trigger. I would guess that the spring has broken or fallen out. It is an easy fix and i am sure you can get a new spring from any of the part suppliers such as Numrich.

gew98
05-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone messed with the trigger at all , or is it milspec original ?. Could be a bad spring or bent pin possibly or built up dried grease/grit.

Char-Gar
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
03 and Mauser military triggers are very simple. The others are correct, it must be either the coil spring or the pin holding the trigger to the receiver has broken, but I doubt the latter.

Shiloh
05-29-2011, 05:13 PM
The sear spring seems to have taken a set. Don't know how it could happen all at once. I'll order a couple of new springs. There are grins marks on the spring from where someone have may removes a coil. It may have gotten hot.

I put a wire shim in the spring hole and it is fixed for a while but repeats the problem.

SHiloh

7of7
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I have one that now does that same thing.. but yes, it is the spring. I found a lighter spring, and put it in to lower the trigger pull weight. It is now verynice, but doesn't reset.. may put the original back in sometime in the near future..