PDA

View Full Version : What to purchase for my first 22

RhodeHunter
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm new to shooting, and my main gun is a muzzleloader for hunting. But I need something to compete with my friends at the range.

My friends have Marlin auto-loaders. I was thinking I would enjoy a bolt-action better.

Is there such a thing as a reasonbly-priced American-made bolt action that you can install peep sights on? I would prefer that to a scope.

Nothing against competition shooters, but I would prefer a normal knock-about rifle rather than something weird-looking.

zuke
05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
How's about getting an old Mossburg or Steven's or if you were a Canadian an old Cooey!

wrench
05-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Here you go, complete with peeps
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
I have a different model of MkII, with a scope. Really a nice little gun for the price.

jh45gun
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes for a cheap tack driver look at the older Marlin Bolt guns like the Marlin80 or 81 most of them even if they did not come with peep sights are drilled for them. I have a Marlin 80 DL and a Sears branded Marlin 80 both are tack drivers. I paid 130 bucks for the Sears one at a gun show and it was mint and my 80 DL my friend sold to me for a good price which is my Silhouette gun. Besides the 80's and 81's there are the Glenfield models that are the same gun and newer models that have not really changed at all up to today. These guns can benifit from a trigger job which is easy to do Rimfire Central has all the info on it. It took me less than 5 min to put in a lighter trigger spring to give the gun a 2 pound trigger as is what my other 80 has.

HeavyMetal
05-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Savage is a good buy and, if you don't mind spending a little more on the ammo, the 17HMR's come with the accu trigger.

Tom-ADC
05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Savage is a good buy and, if you don't mind spending a little more on the ammo, the 17HMR's come with the accu trigger.

So do the MK II's a note the FV are cheaper but the comb on the stock is a tad low, I have 3 of the Savages 2 in 17HMR & a MK II in 22lr fun rifles to shoot.
BTW the Marlins are good shooters also, for a lever action consider a Henry H001..

jh45gun
05-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Yea the Henrys are great and accurate and I think you can get peep sights that fit on to the 3/8ths rail

dnotarianni
05-29-2011, 09:42 PM
If you wanted to move into an autoloader the Ruger 10-22s are allover the place for cheap coin. Have seen them for $150 used and aftermarket parts are all over the place if you decide to upgrade later. Fun gun that will eat just about any ammo.
Dave

RhodeHunter
05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Wrench, I like that Savage with the peeps - good one. Thanks to everyone else also - this gives me a great place to start.

Mk42gunner
05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
If you don't mind used, the Remington 580 series (580 single shot, 581 box magazine, 582 tube mag) used the same basic action as their 541 target rifles.

Winchester Models 69 and 75 are good rifles too.

Robert

donald duck
06-19-2011, 10:21 AM
The Remington 510,511,512, and 513 are all wonderful old rifles. Just purchased a J.C.Higgins, made by Savage or Marlin on Gun Broker for $100.00. Then 25 plus 25 shipping to a licensed dealer. Is like new and shoots great.

Arisaka99
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Ruger 10/22. You can get everything from stocks to voltquartzen trigger kits, to threaded barrels, you name it, its out there. They are a fun, cheap, accurate, gun.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
We have several of the MKII-FVT savages with the peeps for our 4H shooting sports club , they work well the stock is a little light in the rear but that not a big deal.

the kids shoot silhouettes at 40,60, 80, and 100 meters with them

if you get it without the peeps the FV model it saves enough to get a good scope good gun either way.

at some training i was at i ran into a guy who has a Juniors biathlon team sking and shooting they use the savage MKII-FVT

i went with a classic myself the Mossberg 44 US-D great old WWII target rifle use around 200 with peeps , there are lots of old mossberg target rifles around i had one in my hands i think a 35b for 115 but it was missing peep parts , i later found a source for parts and wish i had the money for both guns at the time.

jh45gun
06-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Ruger 10/22. You can get everything from stocks to voltquartzen trigger kits, to threaded barrels, you name it, its out there. They are a fun, cheap, accurate, gun.

They are NOT CHEAP after you add all that stuff and stock they are not all that accurate. STOCK A Marlin 60 out of the box or any of its relatives shoot better then a 10/22 Stock. Before you tell me I am full of BS I have owned 5 10/22's over the years 4 stock ones and one Factory Target. Target one shot great but was like hauling a cement brick around. The stock ones were MEH shoot ok but nothing great. The used Marlin 60 I had would shoot rings around all 4 of them and the two Marlin 80 bolt actions I have now there is no comparison they are literally tack drivers. Not saying the 10/22's are not well made they are and they are fun and some shoot well but a lot of them do not either. I think the OP would do well with an older Marlin or Mossberg or Remington Bolt Action. All three are known for accuracy. Or a new Marlin or Savage Bolt.

Tom-ADC
06-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Here you go, complete with peeps
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
I have a different model of MkII, with a scope. Really a nice little gun for the price.

I agree great rifle, I have three Savage bolt action, all with accu=trigger one 22LR and two 17HMR's mine are scoped but been thinking of the peep sight one also.

missionary5155
06-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Good morning
If I was to have just one caliber.22 rifle and I wanted a somewhat fun & fast repeater I would look into that neet little Browning lever rifle. I bought one about 5 years ago used for $235 (it has a few barks & dings in the stock). It really shoots good. I have not tried many types of ammo for accuracy but it seemed to shoot even the cheap stuff to golf ball accuracy at 25 yards. Wildcats were tough to chamber but the better Rems & Win. all shot well.
I had a 10-22 for many years but when I bought the Browning I gave the 10-22 away. The Browning carries easily and is plenty accurate for the up close type ditch hunting I do. Even shoots them CB shorts that come in a plastic 100 shot carrier (CCI ? ) Very quiet.
Mike in Peru

West Creek
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I like the Marlin levermatic model 56. They were made back in the 50-60's maybe early 70's. Marlin's microgroove rifling is at home with the 22 rimfire and they just flat out shoot as others have attested. I shot my friends glenfield semi-auto and it would shoot one holers at 25 yards with any quality ammo. I cut my teeth on a model 56 with peep sights and would trim the heads off weeds at 25 yards easily. The levermatics with the steel receivers were known for their inherent accuracy. The stock is full size and easy to shoot with a short lever throw you could reload fast with a flick of your fingers. Just all around good gun for the money.

doubs43
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
If you can find one, the recently discontinued Remington model 5 bolt action is a fine rifle with an adjustable trigger and excellent accuracy. They can be had for $200 or less and are all steel and walnut for several lifetimes of use.

Here's a link to a 50 yard group shot with one of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81916405@N00/2802316618/in/photostream

Artful
07-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Is there such a thing as a reasonbly-priced American-made bolt action that you can install peep sights on? I would prefer that to a scope.

Nothing against competition shooters, but I would prefer a normal knock-about rifle rather than something weird-looking.

You have gotten some good suggestions for what you asked - As always check the used rack - Ruger 77/22 comes to mind, Model 980S, Savage MkII, Kimber made a heck of a 22LR,

some of the other guns sold by american companies are made overseas but I wouldn't rule them out.
Wildcat 22LR Bolt Action Rifle made in Russia
Model Five is made in Serbia

I have friends with CZ452, one has a suppressed Biatholon and of course have to mention ANSCHUTZ

I'd check in with good folk over at
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

I myself have found a Romanian M1969 military Training rifle and love it to death - came with 3 blade rear and hooded front sight that was accurate enough for golf balls out to 75-100 yards - I did scope it and was able to hit bolt head at 125 with some regularity with Federal Bulk ammo even.

Now if your open to something other than a bolt gun try looking at a marlin 39 or Henry - Ruger also makes a nice lever 22

corvette8n
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a Savage heavy bbl. mkII in .17mach2 it is a tack driver.

Ickisrulz
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Not American made...but CZ 452 (455? now) are solid shooters with good open sights.

adrians
07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
henry 22 mag lever action is a great ,,,fun shooting rifle ,.
i like mine.:evil:[smilie=w::evil:

wallenba
07-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Got my sister a new Savage Mark II for under $215 US ( a special gift, one time only). In ten minutes she was zeroed in at fifty doing 1-1/2" groups with Winchester 37 gr. She's always had a knack for it.

oldgeezershooter
07-14-2011, 04:14 PM
One word,Marlin 39A lever action. Most accurate rifle I have owned.
Sorry, not one word.

9.3X62AL
07-14-2011, 11:36 PM
One word,Marlin 39A lever action. Most accurate rifle I have owned.
Sorry, not one word.

My Marlin 39A can shoot right with my Remington 581--by some distance the most accurate lever rifle I've ever fired.

warf73
07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
My first 22 rifle was a new Remington 572 dad went halfs with me on it for my 15th birthday I've shot loads of critters with it and its min of tree rat at 50 yards.

The 2nd 22 rifle was bought for $30 at a pawn shop to shoot rats(with shot loads) with but desided to change my mind on that when it shot nickle sized groups at 25 yards using lighting ammo.
I was a member of a new indoor range that held 22 rim fire shoots and was talked into going. Desided I should put a scope on it so I pulled out one of my tasco 2x scopes that was pulled off my old crossman pellet guns. I grabbed 2 boxes of Federal Lightings and went to the shoot and did pretty good for a 22 year old kid, was in the top 20 of 60+ shooters.
Ow the rifle was an old tube fed Western Field bolt action.

Mk42gunner
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
My first 22 rifle was a new Remington 572 dad went halfs with me on it for my 15th birthday I've shot loads of critters with it and its min of tree rat at 50 yards.

The 2nd 22 rifle was bought for $30 at a pawn shop to shoot rats(with shot loads) with but desided to change my mind on that when it shot nickle sized groups at 25 yards using lighting ammo.
I was a member of a new indoor range that held 22 rim fire shoots and was talked into going. Desided I should put a scope on it so I pulled out one of my tasco 2x scopes that was pulled off my old crossman pellet guns. I grabbed 2 boxes of Federal Lightings and went to the shoot and did pretty good for a 22 year old kid, was in the top 20 of 60+ shooters.
Ow the rifle was an old tube fed Western Field bolt action.

Pretty good chance that Western Field was either a Marlin or Mossberg, both makers were known for accurate .22 rifles.

Robert

Changeling
07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm new to shooting, and my main gun is a muzzleloader for hunting. But I need something to compete with my friends at the range.

My friends have Marlin auto-loaders. I was thinking I would enjoy a bolt-action better.

I didn't even try to read the above responsive s to your post, Ruger 10/22.

jh45gun
07-17-2011, 07:45 AM
There are a lot more accurate guns out of the box than 10/22s and the cottage industry of supplying after market target barrels and trigger groups ect prove that fact. I agree that Marlin 39's are accurate they are great 22's. I never shot a Henry in 22 LR but if they shoot as well as my 22 mag Henry does that would be a consideration. One of the best buys out there still is a used Marlin Bolt action like a Marlin 80 or 81 or the rifles that came after them in the 800 and 900 series.Both of my Marlin 80's are tack drivers and I am shooting Silhouette with one of them and holding my own against some lot more expensive rifles and the Marlin does a lot better than I do. Same with the Remington older bolt actions and the Mossberg 22's all great accurate 22's.

doubs43
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
There are a lot more accurate guns out of the box than 10/22s...

Amen to that thought. Neither of my standard, stock 10/22 Ruger rifles were worth beans out of the box. First time out with the first one was a disaster as the magazine bound up and wouldn't feed. A klutz at the factory had over-tightened the screw around which the follower rotates. It loaded but wouldn't feed. Very disappointing! Years later, Boyd stocks, GM barrels, extended mag releases and a bit of work on the trigger groups worked wonders. Now both are tack drivers but it shouldn't be necessary to spend the extra money to get decent accuracy.

The Remington 597 is another rifle that seems to be poor for accuracy out of the box. I'm going by what I read plus the one example I own.

In a semi-auto, the Marlin 60 is hard to beat for accuracy out of the box and they are priced very reasonably. I have no experience with the Savage or Mossberg semi-auto rifles but their bolt action rifles will generally be very good.

Then there's the Thompson Center semi-auto! I don't own one but have shot a few and they are a gem out of the box. Reliable and ACCURATE! My one criticism is the magazines. They are too large IMO. If TC would redesign them correctly, I would seriously want to own one.

Let us know what you decide to buy and how it shoots.

RhodeHunter
11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Original poster here.

I bought a used Marlin 60 for $90. It's a 1980 model with squirrel carved in the wood. I'm still shooting it with the iron sights. I had to adjust the rear sight to one side by lightly tapping it with a hammer and punch in the dovetail groove. I like it OK so far; haven't shot it enough to know what I'm talking about, and like I said it's my first .22

You guys know so much. Thanks a million for all the advice. I'm gearing up for opening day muzzleloader season this Saturday. Hoping to get my first deer ever. Trying to see if I can do what my grandfather did in Florida. He was quite the outdoorsman.

tacklebury
11-03-2011, 09:13 PM
My personal favorite .22 semi is the Marlin 60. ;) Just make sure that if you shoot cheap ammo, you clean the slide occasionally or it'll start binding up. This is a full tube of CCI Mini-Mag Hollowpoints fast fired from 25 yards with elbow rest. Most accurate in mine and puts squirrels down with authority. ;)

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/tacklebury/glenfieldmodel60rightscoped.jpg

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/tacklebury/model60minimags30yards17shotssteadyfire.jpg

jh45gun
11-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Marlin 60's put stock 10/22s to shame. 60's are great accurate rifles. I sold mine to buy my Uberti 45 and I now own two Marlin bolt action Model 80's which are tack drivers but the 60 I had shot as well as the bolt actions do. Marlin 22's are just plain accurate.