PDA

View Full Version : Fitting WWG's large loop lever

Tazman1602
05-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Well, I've wanted to try one for years on one of my 1895G's so I bought a WWG's large loop lever. I bought the three parts that go in the lever, the spring, the pin, and the lock so I could just change out the complete lever and keep the original as backup - those parts went in no problem.

Put in on the gun and OUCH! This thing binds like crazy. Have tried to figure out where it is binding at, the lever bolt is not too tight, but somewhere inside it just binds like all git out. I knew they had to be fit before I bought it but have found precious little information on exactly HOW to fit it, even in the library of gunsmithing books I've got.

Before I go nuts with a dremel and ruin a nice lever -- and yes I've looked for wear spots on it, none really to be found except where the end of it works the bolt, I thought I might ask if any of you have done this before and exactly where I should look/grind/polish before I start in on it.

Many Thanks,

Art

tcrocker
05-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Try putting some sharpy around the spots you think it might be binding. That should give you a start just polish off the shiny places.

Clinebo
06-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Try checking the Marlin Owners forum. It seems to me there is a thread or two there about the exact same problem. Good site if your a Marlin fan.

Tazman1602
06-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Got it fitted perfect guys. I took the bolt out and mounted the lever without the bolt -- turns out it was hitting the top of the reciever on the rounded part. A bit of work with the dremel, some smoothing out with sharp stones, and it's slicker than butter.

Ended up being very easy to fit with very little metal removal -- the sharpie worked great, thanks for the advice.

Art

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 10:57 PM
So how do you like it?

I've been wanting to try one for years.

Tazman1602
06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Pat -- PM inbound

Art

josper
06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I put one on my 1895GG last year,maybe I just got lucky but there were no problems.I like it alot because in the winter when heavy gloves are worn it feels much beter with the big loop. [looks cool also]

Swede44mag
07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I put one of their triggers on my Marlin 45-70 Lever Evolution rifle works great.
Haven't bought the big loop yet been thinking about it though.
Too many wants not enough money.

josper
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar186.htm try this link , how to fit the big loop lever

Tazman1602
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey thanks Josper! I got mine fitted easily once I figured out where it was binding but I will look at this too. I see more of these in my Lever future.

I put it on because I've always been a "Rifleman" fan but its also VERY functional. My middle finger has yet to get *bit* when shooting heavy loads now.

Art

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk