PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Carbine Bolt Question

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Fellas:
A buddy from work brought me what looks to be a Jungle Carbine (I'll search the stickies to see if it is genuine) in pieces. Don't know why it was taken apart, but he has asked me to put it back together. I have ZERO experience with the Enfield.
1st question: How do you get the bolt into the rifle so that it will close? I managed the raise the sight and turn the bolt head portion, but cannot get the bolt to fully close. The bolt handle will start to turn down but will not go all the way down, and spring pressure will push it back open. What am I doing wrong?
2nd question: Buddy does not have the bolt that attaches the buttstock to the rifle. I can probably get one from Numrich; anyone have one gathering dust? If so, let me know what you are looking for in trade.
Tony

eagle27
05-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Take the bolt out and make sure the head is screwed fully on. The head should be only slightly left of vertical (looking from the rear) when placing the bolt into the receiver. Depress the catch to engaged the head into the guide rail. If it will not close on an empty chamber then the bolt or bolt head is not the correct one for the rifle.

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 02:05 AM
eagle27:
Thanks;
the bolt head was not screwed in all the way. This is the best site on the web!
Tony

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 11:25 AM
OK, got the bolt to close by screwing the bolt head in a few turns. Now I cannot get the bolt to open; the handle will move up about 1/4 inch and then stop. What am I doing wrong?
Tony

Bullshop
05-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Saftey on?

Hardcast416taylor
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Saftey on?

This would be my guess also. The safety lever is on the left side of the rear of the action. Push the lever all the way up and the bolt should be unlocked then.Robert

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
No; safety is all the way forward. Thanks for the help; any other ideas?
Tony

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Just realized I said all the way forward on the safety when I don't know what I'm talking about. The safety is as far forward as it will go, which is a little past 90 degrees.

Bullshop
05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
There is another safety in the cocking piece. It can be pulled out one click from the fired position at half cock and that will also lock the bolt. Pull the cocking piece fully to the rear at full cock the while holding the cocking piece press the trigger and let the cocking piece move fully to the fired position. Keep pointed in a safe direction of course.
Then with the clip out and the thumb safety forward try pressing the trigger and lifting the bolt at the same time.
If that does not work you may have to fiddle with the thumb safety latch. The screw on the spring loaded cover may be loose and causing trouble.
Try that and if not we will think of something else.

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Bullshop:
Thanks; I was able to pull the cocking piece partly back and that freed the bolt. However, it still locks up every time I pull the trigger and requires the cocking piece to be pulled back to free the bolt. Any ideas on what to do next greatly appreciated.
Tony

Bullshop
05-29-2011, 01:57 PM
That sounds strange. I think I would take the bolt head off and the internals out and try working the bolt body with cocking piece in. I would try to see that if at a certain position something/what is hanging up. Keep messing with it that way until you get the FEEL of how the parts work together. I think the problem will become obvious and from there you can figure out a solution.
I am very curious now and wish I could be there to help.

Bullshop
05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Just had another thought. If you have a fired case that fits the chamber put that in and gently let the cocking piece down on it. Now I am curious to see if with the firing pin resting on the spent primer the bolt will open normally.

AnthonyB
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Bullshop:
I don't have any brass but will continue to play with it. It looks like the bolt is trying to cam the cocking piece back when I try to lift the handle, but it can't move it far enough back to free the bolt. I can pull it back just a bit more and the bolt will turn.
Tony

10x
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
It sounds like the firing pin may need to be screwed in one half or one more turn. Check the firing pin protrusion ....
How far back do you have to pull the cocking piece to get the bolt to open?

AnthonyB
06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
10x:
I don't have to pull the cocking piece back very far at all. It starts back when I try to lift the bolt handle; the handle will move about 1/4 inch and then stop. I can pull the cocking piece back just a little farther and the bolt handle is free to move normally.
I'll do a search for how to disassemble the bolt, buy any tips or direction would be appreciated.
Tony

richbug
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Look at the end of the "L" shaped sear that contacts the bolt. See if it happens to be broken off(rough edges as opposed to nice and smooth). I had one that was, and caused similar symptoms.

Bloodman14
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Make sure that the safety is assembled correctly; there are several threads on the safety that have to be indexed correctly to work.

10x
06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
10x:
I don't have to pull the cocking piece back very far at all. It starts back when I try to lift the bolt handle; the handle will move about 1/4 inch and then stop. I can pull the cocking piece back just a little farther and the bolt handle is free to move normally.
I'll do a search for how to disassemble the bolt, buy any tips or direction would be appreciated.
Tony

On my #5 when I lift the bolt handle the cocking piece moves back `3/16. When the bolt handle is vertical it then slides back freely.
Are you able to lift the bolt to full release, then it hangs up on the way back?
or does the bolt hang up on the upswing?

Look at the back of the cocking piece - the firing pin should be flush when the set screw is in place.
lower or raised and that may be the issue.

To disassemble the bolt, turn off the bolt head, remove the set screw locking the cocking piece to the firing pin. Then make a tool - about 4" long from tubing that will just fit inside the bolt body and over the firing pin. File a 1/8" square notch in one end to catch the shoulders on the firing pin. Hold the cocking piece and turn the firing pin out. Be careful of firing pin spring pressure.
1/8" is probably the minimum width, it may need to be slightly wider.

WILCO
06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Don't know why it was taken apart, but he has asked me to put it back together. I have ZERO experience with the Enfield.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I would just pass on this project and defer the owner to a qualified gunsmith.

10x
06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but I would just pass on this project and defer the owner to a qualified gunsmith.

That may be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Mind, the Lee Enfield is a rather simple and well engineered gun - if you have the proper parts it should have gone together and worked.
You may want to take the fore end off and watch to see where it is hanging up. there may be a part broken or bent.

AnthonyB
06-03-2011, 06:24 PM
10x:
OK, have the rifle in hand now. The bolt handle will not move to the vertical position. I get a little less that halfway there and it refuses to turn more. I can lower the bolt handle, pull back on the cocking piece, and operate the bolt normally. Once it is cocked the bolt works fine.
The firing pin does not protrude from the bolt when the cocking piece is in the down/fired position.
Thanks for the continued help and ideas to all.
Tony

AnthonyB
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
10x:
I think you are on the right track, and you made me understand more info that might help identify the problem. I have played with the rifle some more and realized:
1. The cocking piece has a fully forward/down position when the rifle is fired.
2. The cocking piece has a partially retracted position (back about the 3/16s you mentioned; redneck eyeball measurement here). This rifle cannot get the cocking piece to that position on its own; it needs help from me. Bolt will not lift completely until the cocking piece reaches this position.
3. Fully cocked after closing the bolt. Bolt will work normally as long as the rifle is fully cocked.
I hope this helps you guys figure out the problem.
Tony

10x
06-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok. Take the cocking knob (bolt out of gun) and turn the cocking know counter clockwise. The firing pin should protrude about 1/16 " in front of the bolt face. The rear of the firing pin (threaded end should be flush with the end of the cocking piece. The removal tool should not have notches in it but two 3/32" raised catches on it to take out the firing pin.
Examine the ramp on the cocking piece that moves the moves the cocking piece back when the bolt handle is raised - it should be smooth with no burrs. Check for a bent firing pin. - you will have to remove the firing pin to do so.