PDA

View Full Version : Got a 20's .38 Colt DA...looks fun

shooting on a shoestring
05-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Browsing in McBrides Gun shop in Austin...the little .38 Spl Police Positive came home with me. Not much bluing, bore has some pits, but its all shootable.

The throats measure .358, bore slugged at .355. I've got to re-check that.

Cylinder gap is 0.010" not too bad given the age and it is .38 spl in that little frame.

I'll feed it about 2.7 gr Bullseye and 140 gr SWCs or 148 gr Wadcutters.

Wife even approved. Should shoot it tomorrow.

Guesser
05-28-2011, 09:22 PM
If it is a 38 Special chambering then it is a Police Positive Special. If it is a Police Positive in 38 then it is 38 Police and will use 38 S&W ammunition. The Police Positive was never chambered in 38 Special, the frame was too small and the cylinder was too short.

shooting on a shoestring
05-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Yep its .38 spl for sure. I measured the chamber length to be sure.

Also drove a 358477 through the barrel and got 0.3565 to 0.357 after some bore brushing.

It ought to shoot at least decent.

Cute little light weight critter. Pretty much the other end of the spectrum from the magnums.

I doubt it will give me hand pain like...say... a .44 Hunter over bags..........

Guesser
05-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I have a PPS in 38 Special, 5" barrel, great shooter with any 158 gr. cast boolit over 3.5 Bullseye or the equivalent of any other powder. The gun is not picky except that it prefers 158 gr. boolits.

shooting on a shoestring
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Made it to the range. Little Colt still works.

I was surprised how much muzzle flip the little revolver had. It is very light though.

The trigger pull is "service" class in both DA and SA. I think that SA trigger will recieve some attention in the near future.

Groups at 25 yds rested weren't impressive, just serviceable. Best was 3.5" worst was 6.5". Loads were 2.6 grs Bullseye/358087, 2.7 Bullseye Lee 140 SWC, and 3.0 Bullseye/358477. The first two shot better, the last the worst.

Its a fun little gun, but is going to need a trigger tune up and some diet loads.

Grapeshot
05-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Congraulations. I picked up a 1907 vintage Colt .38 Army Special about five years ago at a pawn shop down the road from me. I needed a .38 Colt for my SAW and Boxer Rebelion impressions. The revolver is in .38 S&W Special not .38 Colt, but it looks like the M1892 or the M1903 at a distance. Shoots real well with swaged .357 diameter 158 grain RN bullets

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
check the timing. Does the cyl stop drop all the way in when you cock the hammer
manually? With many old Colts the stop won't drop on 1 or 2 cylinders when cocked very slowly.
This affects the accy adversely. They will drop if cocked smartly single action or normal
quick double action - inertia throws the cyl far enough to time.

Bill

shooting on a shoestring
05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks MtGun44. I believe I'm need of some education here. This is the first Colt I've owned. The timing is odd to me compared to my Smiths and Rugers. This Colt in SA leaves the cylinder a little loose until the trigger is pulled, then it locks up tighter. In SA, I can turn the cylinder a very small bit, perhaps a degree or two, and hear a click and feel the cylinder lock up tight the same as if the trigger is pulled.

Should this Colt lock up tight before the trigger is pulled like the Smiths and Rugers?

gnoahhh
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Lock up isn't like a Smith. Final lock up/alignment takes place as the trigger is pulled. Your description of the cylinder being a little loose until the trigger is pulled is pretty normal for an old used Colt DA, not much harm. What is a bit off is what you said about it allowing the cylinder to rotate a tiny bit when cocked in SA mode, then hear a click as things fall into place. The hand is obviously worn and could/should be replaced. Not a major task, but the geometry of it suggests it be done by someone who understands how they work. I had to have the hands replaced in a couple of Police Positives over the years. Did one myself, took the next one to a smith.

shooting on a shoestring
06-03-2011, 08:31 PM
gnoahhh...Thanks. So where did you get a hand?

I've never taken a Colt apart, but that should change in the near future.

Cute little gun. Might end up carrying it.

shooting on a shoestring
06-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I had just a tad of time to look at the little revolver today. Indeed the cylinder stops a degree or two short of proper alignment when cocked slowly. When cocked smartly, it carries over a bit and locks up well.

I don't think the problem is a worn hand, but too much end shake. I notice the cylinder rides against the barrel when it is being cocked, and there is right at 0.010" cylinder gap.

Is there a way to shim the cylinder back?