PDA

View Full Version : Sleeving a 410 barrel for 22lr

Matt3357
05-28-2011, 07:15 PM
This maybe a pipe dream I have, but I would like to put a rifled sleeve in my 410 survival rifle. Anyone ever done this? I was thinking about taking a rod of aluminum and turning it to fit the chamber and inside of the barrel, have it stick out the end and thread a cap on it so it holds it tight in the chamber.

It would then have an offset hole bored through it and a barrel liner glued in and a chamber cut. It would have an extension added in for the extractor.

Anyone ever do this? Anyone see any major issues with it?

Matt

KCSO
05-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Here is yor problem, turning the removable liner is no problem, back end to match the chamber and front end slightly smaller than the bore and O rings to center. I've done several of these, BUT in 22 LR you will either need to cut the chamber off center or use a firing pin insert to fire the rim fire 22's. A much better idea is a 22 HORNET barrel insert that will work fine in most newer 410's. in the older large diameter firing pin guns you will need to bush the pin for hotter loads. I have a 22 Hornet insert for my Ruger #1 and it will hold into about 1 1/2" at 30 yards with most loads and with some will cut into an inch. I had a 410 o/U once that had inserts for 22 hornet, and 32 H and R a handy gun that got passed on to a friend.

justashooter
05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
i have a project in the works that involves making liners for a 16 gauge double in 45-70, 38-55, and 30-30. have test fired them all and am just about to "regulate" the gun for 100 yard crossing. adding integral extractors for each barrel that are actuated by the shotgun extractor has been the most tedious part.

making a barrel insert in 22 RF has been on my back burner for some time, but numrich has thousands of blanks as cheap as $10 that can be turned off center on any decent lathe...what would such an insert be worth to you? how about an insert in 38 special, instead? this i can do in a heartbeat.

John Taylor
05-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I have lined many 410 barrels but never done one in 22LR. I would be more prone to do a new barrel, making up a lug with the extractor. This way the sights can be with the barrel and stay adjusted for each barrel made. I made up at least five barrel for a Beretta folding shotgun for one customer.