PDA

View Full Version : Smelted to Hot ?

smokemjoe
05-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Whats wrong with my WWs, 2 weeks ago I melted down 90 lbs. of ww. I used a turkey burner and gave it alot of heat and a fast melt. I put a piece of beeswax in berfore the start, a piece while melting and fluxed twice , I kept getting alot a slag off the melt, This last melt was about 20 lbs. so some tin went in, I made some 22 cal. with noe new 22 -37 gr. mold with a RCBS bottom pour, It poured a good very hard bullet, but it kept plugging up the nozzel, and had alot of silver slag on the top of the pot, I used shifted kitty litter on the top. No matter how much you flux and the run the heat at different temp. it still forms silver slag, and you get alot of it. Whats wrong, Thanks- Joe

btroj
05-28-2011, 08:49 AM
That silver slag may well be your tin. Flux with a dry wood stick or some dry sawdust. This will work the slag back into the melt which is what you want.
The plugging of the nozzle could be the heat a little too lowor just crud in the bottom of the pot. I would suspectit is crud. I use a spoon to stir the melt well and scrape the sides of the lot to bring the dirt, etc to the top. This is then skimmed off after I flux.

Bad

Defcon-One
05-28-2011, 11:50 AM
....I used a turkey burner and gave it alot of heat and a fast melt.....I kept getting alot a slag off the melt....

You sure that there was not Zinc in the pot? Sounds like there might be, though if they are casting good, I'm not sure of it!