PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA

Bad Water Bill
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I was having some problems logging in the other day so I gave them a call. I talked to a helpful young man and now everything is good. Then I asked about my birthday DISCOUNT notice not being sent this year. We no longer send everyone the discount. Our computer randomly sends them out. Sounds to me like a good excuse why no one I know got one. We were ALL unlucky again this year and probably forever into the future.

cbrick
05-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Been a couple of years since they sent me the birthday thing.

I buy from Midway a lot less than I used to ever since they tried to double wham me on shipping charges. I bought two of the same thing, 20 of them would have easily fit into a medium flat rate box but they insisted on putting one each into two flat rate boxes and charging me for both at over twice the cost in shipping of the merchandise I was going to buy. There are a lot of ways to make money, intentionally screwing your customers on shipping charges isn't an ethical one.

Rick

edsmith
05-27-2011, 11:30 PM
that is why I no longer shop midway.I now use only nathez or midsouth.:drinks:

condorjohn
05-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a C&R and get the "dealer discount" Use to be, my discount would just about cover the
shipping... Not no more...

HollowPoint
05-27-2011, 11:42 PM
I got my "Happy Birthday" email from Midway just last week but, although alot of their listed prices are cheaper than most of my local retailer's prices, after they tack on the shipping costs the price is about the same or less to by locally.

HollowPoint

onondaga
05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I just got my birthday discount from Midway last week and used it immediately. My order came in 2 DAYS! They never shipped that fast to me before. My birthday discount has come every year for over 10 years. Maybe it has to do with how frequent your purchases are or the amount per year. I have 2 friends that have no credit so I order for them on my account if they pay me up front; so my total is always over $1K/per year with Midway. I get both their big catalogs every year and a sale flyer every month. I also review every new product I purchase on their review form online.

For my birthday I got BPI original Filler, a short Takedown gun case and 7.62X39 Snap Caps.

Gary

Beagler
05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Always get mt b-day reminder and the catalog on the other hand I wish cabelas would stop sending me there stuff. It was ok when they sent me the big hard cover master catalog. but then they send all the smaller catalogs section buy section it just clogs up the mail box and have to dispose of it. Called twice and told them to take off mailing list. So I guess I have alot of catalogs to stack up and shoot into now may as well make us of them some how.

buck1
05-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Its not hard to get a discount , Just order from Midsouth or Grafts. They are almost always cheeper when you add shipping.
They kind of priced themselves out of my budget.

Doc Highwall
05-28-2011, 08:04 AM
I just got the back order items from my birthday discount yesterday. I wanted the SAECO #243 85gr TCGC in a four cavity for the Remington 40X in 6mmBr I just bought along with dies for it. I have been getting the birthday discount for the last several years.

pincherpartner
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I tend to agree with Onondaga that it may have something to do with the frequency of purchases. I had been used to getting the discount every year, then one year I was holding off on the purchases until my birthday. Well that was the year I didn't get the discount.

This year, what I wanted was cheaper with the discount and shipping and was instock.

There was a minor item that was damaged in shipping. I let them know and a new one was shipped free and arrived with in two days.

I've been happy with Miday, but money is tight and I do check and compare with the others. Depending on what I want and what the price is, it may make sense to shop with others.

Ole
05-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Pretty good deal on the Caldwell 8" stick-on factory second targets that they get from time to time:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=517052

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I jut placed my first order with Midway this week.
Mainly because Grafs was out of a few things I needed.
They bumped the shipping another 1.50 when I added the "free" catalog to the order
-not impressed

nicholst55
05-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Midway won't even send me a freaking catalog here in Korea, so they don't get any of my money. Graf's has most a everything that I need anyway...

Moonie
05-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I got mine back in April, didn't need anything and didn't have toy money anyway.

Lee
05-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I've also become more disenchanted with Midway lately. Pseudo bargains, unimpressive shipping rates, I've (used ta) be a customer for many years, still waiting for "MY" birthday discount, unimpressed with the "sale" prices, best I can say about them is that they ship promptly...when it's in stock.
But, diahhrea goes pretty quick too. If what I've heard is true, when 'ole Larry retired, and handed the reins over to the daughter, things started to jet downhill.
Got this months' "catalog" but rather than jump at a couple items, I'll Google 'em first. I suspect I can find cheaper elsewhere.
Shame, when a reputation starts to tank.
MIDWAY....LISTENING???????

mtgrs737
05-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Midway gives birthday discounts? Hmm........

Tom-ADC
05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I've bought an awful lot from them in the past, still would if they had what I needed and nobody else did. I use Graf's & MidSouth now.

Bad Water Bill
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
I just checked on Midways 20 cal 34 gr Dog town bullets at $57.59 and Mid Souths Varmints Nightmare X Treme 20 cal 34 gr for $41.19.

$13.40 difference for the same little pills. Guess why and where my money is going?

Recluse
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I've always admired Potterfield for the business he envisioned, created, grew and sustained. He's a great American story.

Unfortunately, it seems like his kids are also a "great American story" in that the greed factor is becoming a bit more obvious. I shudder to think what Midway USA will become when the grandkids take it over.

Haven't done much business with them in the past few years. Too many "out of stock, backorder okay" items--and this is where you can really, really get nailed to the wall on excessive shipping charges if you're not careful. I don't play that game.

Prices are what they are. If their consumer base allows such prices, then that's what the prices are.

On the other hand, I shop Midsouth far more frequently than just about anyone else. For primers and powder in bulk, I rarely look any further than Powder Valley.

I doubt Midway will ever price themselves out of business, but rather will be the "frog and the boiling kettle of water" experience with each successive "generation" of new shooters and reloaders.

Pretty soon, you figure out the water is getting a little uncomfortable and you hop over to a much more comfortable pond like Midsouth or Graf's.

:coffee:

cbrick
05-30-2011, 02:11 PM
$13.40 difference for the same little pills. Guess why and where my money is going?

To the pharmacy?

Rick

cbrick
05-30-2011, 02:24 PM
For primers and powder in bulk, I rarely look any further than Powder Valley. :coffee:

Yep, absolutely. For several years now several of us at the club get together for a true "bulk" powder/primer order from Powder Valley and pay one hazmat fee.

Doesn't hurt at all that Powder Valley usually has the best prices and except during the recent primer crunch they most always do have it in stock, none of that silly "back order ok?".

Its far cheaper for Midway to not spend a dime on stock but instead collect your money and order their stock with your money, then rip you off on shipping charges. Midway has sure gone downhill fast in the last couple of years.

They do still have the best website for comparing prices though. :mrgreen:

Rick

mongo
05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Dang, I was waiting to get my birthdat discount next week to place my order, I started buying from Midwat about 30years ago when they had free shipping, That was the main reason they have been getting my business now was the one time a year I would place a big order. Going to take a look at Midsouth today

lbaize3
05-30-2011, 09:20 PM
But then, I have put all of Potterfield's grandchildren through college....

Randy in Arizona
06-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I've always admired Potterfield for the business he envisioned, created, grew and sustained. He's a great American story.

I have been POed at them since they bought and closed Fajen Gunstocks.:mad:

cajun shooter
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
At one time, Midway received all my business as they always had what I needed. They seemed to keep getting more and more for shipping and it got plumb crazy. I received a package one day with 5 old time 44-40 boxes for cartridges. The bill was like $25 or more dollars. Buffalo Arms sells them for about $3.50 a box. I called and asked what was going on. The answer was that was from a order that I placed some 8 months earlier and they shipped them out, charging full freight charges. I declined the order and told them to never send me another back order unless it was given the OK by me. They have become impossible to deal with and I always do all I can to buy elsewhere. The company has changed from it's roots and Larry has too much cash to throw in the air. I think that a new bean counter has seen a way to double his millions by charging more from A-Z plus shipping.

Dframe
06-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I bought a set of lee 6 cavity mould handles "on sale" for about 12 dollars. Saved myself about 4 bucks. Then got the bill including 9 dollars for shipping. Lets see 12 dollars for the product and 9 dollars for shipping. I NOW order from other places.

Buddy
06-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Born lucky I guess, I was raised in a full service gunshop. I remember when Potterfields catalog was only 20 pages. I haven't dealt with them much now that there's a Cabelas 40 miles from the house. Heck I can go there and get sticker shock!

Tom W.
06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I still get the b'day discount, but seldom buy there anymore. I will say that almost all of my reloading supplies came from Midway, usually within three days of placing my order. I got kinda P.O'd when they started the "minimum order or we'll charge you extra", and e-mailed Mr. Potterfield and asked him why shipping was so high. I also asked if he was aware of the flat rate boxes that the USPS has. He mentioned something about upgrading his computer system... bla bla bla....