PDA

View Full Version : I have to glue on GCs, to lube or not to lube?

MBTcustom
05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Can somebody tell me if it is necessary to lube the boolits before sizing them? (in the lee sizer)
I was given some freechecks that were made of thin material, and they just dont quite have the sticktoitivness that I would like. I decided to use superglue on the base of the boolits as added insurance, problem is, if I lube the boolits ahead of time, the glue wont be able to stick to 'em.
I am also wondering because I have always lubed before and after the sizing operation and If I could get away with just doing one lube operation it would go a long way towards nurturing my inner sloth. Besides, it would save lube.

n.h.schmidt
05-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Goodsteel
I'm a old hand at this. For years I have made my own GCs from .008 flashing and only now know where to get the much better .014 thick stuff. That being said, the GCs made from the .008 material still works good if glued on. Super glue works well for this .I also tried JB weld and that works good too but,Super glue is better.
I put the glue on a toothpick and apply the glue only on the inside rim of the GC. Like three dabs will do it. Put the GC on the base and twist it. Let the Glue harden before going on. All this is with a unlubed boolit. Now you can lube the Boolit your usual way and size. You could presize the boolit before adding the GC but then you would have to clean off the lube before glueing on the GC.
If you put the super glue (or other glue) on the bottom of the cup or the boolit base. You will often find excess glue squishing up from the GC and creating a cleanup mess. Putting it on the inside rim seems to stop that.
I have done this and used both ways of sizeing. A Lyman 450 and also push through sizers with no problems.
I hope this is some help .I have been there and done that.
n.h.schmidt

Suo Gan
05-28-2011, 10:37 AM
The other guy cut his losses and gave the checks to you. Sometimes its not a bad idea to just walk away from something.

MBTcustom
05-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Aw now, is that any way to talk about friends? :-D