PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ingot Moulds/ a gift from G50-70 ! :) :)

GLL
12-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I recently responded to an ad selling angle-iron ingot moulds. G50-70 quickly contacted me and indicated he had a couple I could HAVE instead . Since he only lives 15 minutes away I visited him this morning and was surprised to obtain two beautifully crafted moulds. Gary said I could not have them unless I also took an armload of his favorite custom lube to go along with them. All of this was presented as a gift ! :) :)

It continues to amaze me that members of this Forum give so much stuff and information to people they have never met before !

Many thanks to Gary for his generosity. Moulds, lube, conversation, and a great deal of useful information. I hope to be able to repay in kind in the future.

Happy New year to All ! :) :)

Best Regards,

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/9D5732B5961961F/standard.jpg

Pepe Ray
12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
GLL;
I could be mistaken but, IIWM I'd turn them over before I poured. [smilie=1:
Pepe Ray P.S 'course, I havn't seen TOS.

nvbirdman
12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
They look right side up to me.
OK everybody, voting time. upside down or right side up?

fatnhappy
12-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Upside down. If you flip them over each will yield an additional ingot. that's my only reason, FWIW. Both look well crafted, and the one on the right would work quite nicely "as is" with those handles. They'd even act as a stand if you need to give your ingots some gentle persuasion from the opposite side.

Pepe Ray
12-28-2006, 01:13 AM
As I said ,"I can't see the other side."
The only good clue I had was the weld beads. Shouldn't they be on the outside?

I dunno. Can't weld. Use commercial molds. :???:
Pepe Ray

fatnhappy
12-28-2006, 01:52 AM
wow! pepe ray is right. I took another good look at the right hand mould.

I suffered from an optical illusion, methinks.

nighthunter
12-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Appears to me that left is down and right is up. How's that for confusion?
Nighthunter

dakotashooter2
12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I would assume that the angle iron on the sides are supposed to serve as a base and thus both are right side up. The right one shurely is as if it were turned as if it were turned over it would teeter on the handles. As fare as the welds being on the inside or outside, if they are on the uotside you may end up with small gaps on the inside into which lead will flow and making the ingots difficult to release.

GLL
12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
dakotashooter2 wins ! :) :)

Thanks again to Gary.

Jerry

Pepe Ray
12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
GLL;
Get back to us after youve used them.
Pepe Ray

GLL
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
PepeRay:

The other side of the moulds do not have the seams welded and lead would run into the gap. I am sure the ingots would be permanently attached to the mould. :)

I actually had the same question as you for the mould on the left until I flipped it over a couple of times.

Jerry