PDA

View Full Version : 1 week with new GP 100

PacMan
05-27-2011, 05:04 PM
First off let me make sure that everyone understands that i am for the most part a virgin when it comes to hand guns. I have worn out one Colt Comander and working on the 2nd one now.All close range fast tactial shooting so that does not qualify me in the least way as a hanguner.
Everything that i have learned about shooting a revolver and cast bullets i have learned right here and still learning.

Got the 6" SS GP 100 on monday and luckly my .360 LBT 200gr GC FN dual lube groves witih a .35 nose mold showed up the same day.

Two things that i had to fix right off the bat was the hammer spur as it was very abrasive to my 60 year old thumb and the bottom right side of the trigger guard,i am right handed, that had a sharp edge that was playing the devil with my finger.A little work with a diamond stone and then a indian stone cured the problem.

The trigger is better than any of the 3 RBH's i have so that was a plus. It has a slight hitch that lets you know that any further and the hammer falls. Not great but not bad.

Sluged the barrel three times and each time came up with .357 and no signs of thread choke that i could tell. A real plus. Learned about that right here.

Not owning any pin gauges i checked the cylinder throats best i could using diffrent sized bullets. With my crude methods found out that the throats are basicaly .358 with two being closer to .3575 or slightly wider.

Sized bullets to .3577 which WDWW come out of my die at if i size within an hour or two and lubed with LBT Blue soft.

The goal was/is to find a good load for the 200gr bullet that did not beat me or the gun up and did not hurt the ears of a deaf mule. Spent 4 days and lots of lead,primers and power working with 2400 and did not come away happy. Early this morning i decided to try Lil Gun ( i know guys) but things went from dismal at best to this is good. Well it is better.I did find that one chamber as i had expected all along was throwing everythin wide somtimes low and somtimes high. Now those other 5 will deliver better accuracy than my old eyes and open sights can use.

That 6th chamber turns 1" to 1 1/2" 25 yard groups,one that had five you could cover with my thumb nail, into 3 and 4" groups. I loaded up 6 more and shot them all from the off chamber and they were everywhere.

Velocity is good at a 6 shot average of 1088. Still need to do more work but all in all i am happy with my 5 shot GP100.

Dwight

Groo
05-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Groo here
I would try Trailboss or Unique[ every loader should have a pound around]
In some of the older manuals you can find loads for the 195 gr rn "police" bullet.
Having a revolver that has one or more chambers off is an all to common thing..
If you want, a good smith can find if it is the alignment or the chamber mouth that is off.
If the later you have enough give to have all the chambers reamed to the same size..
Looks like your gun "Wants to shoot" it just needs a little " Touch of the master"

Heavy lead
05-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I have not used any powder that will shoot better than Lil Gun in the .357. I shoot a 180 gas checked boolit of my own design specifically for my GP100 and Lil Gun smokes anything else I've used. I've heard all the warnings of it burning super hot, but simply have not had the issue in the .357, .44, .454 or the .475, but then again I'm not running max to the wall loads either, certainly not starting loads either, but just about split in the middle is where I've found the sweet spot for accuracy.

randyrat
05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I had good luck with 180 gr GC boolit over 11.5 grs of 2400 Anything above or much below would be all over the board. I'm not sure if that helps any, but to let you know there may be a sweat spot in there yet.

shooting on a shoestring
05-27-2011, 09:22 PM
GP100 is a lot of gun for the money. Love my 4".

I sometimes set up 6 targets, mark the cylinder, and fire one chamber at one target. Reload 4 times and get 5 shot groups on each target all from the same chamber. Can be revealing or reassuring depending on the outcome.