PDA

View Full Version : Push through sizer?

Kristoffer
05-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Do i need a sizer for my bullets or are they safe to shoot without sizing? The bullet molds is NOE .460 and the gun is an Ruger no.1 45-70

I guess i need a sizer for seating gas checks. were can i get hold of a push through sizer in cal .460 or smaller if necessary?

I have an Rcbs reloading press.

//Kristoffer

no34570
05-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Mate
Most likely you will need to resize your as cast bullets,depends on your bore dimensions,I think it would probably be around .458 diameter,maybe someone else can chime in here?
If you have to size to .460,Ranchdog Outdoors has them(link on top of page of forum)
I think Lee has a .457 only,I'm not too sure,but your rifle could be .457 or .458,.459,.460,you will have to slug your bore.
Buckshot(a member here on Cast Boolits)might be able to make you a push through die for .458 or .459,but I would get the bore dimensions of your gun first,ok?
Once you know the bore dimensions,contact either Buckhot for a custom sizer die or Ranchdog for the .460 die
Hope this helps a bit mate ;)

Kristoffer
05-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks!

I guess i will have to slug the bore!

If i understand it right i should i size to .002 over the bore size? so if i have .458 bore a .460 would be the right size?

//Kristoffer

shotman
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
check with Dromia. He is on your side of the pond . do member search

no34570
05-28-2011, 02:09 AM
If i understand it right i should i size to .002 over the bore size? so if i have .458 bore a .460 would be the right size?
I generally do mate ;)

Kristoffer
05-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Big thanks to all of you!

//Kristoffer

stubshaft
05-28-2011, 03:15 AM
+1 On "Buckshot" if you need a .460" sizer.

Ed in North Texas
05-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I guess i need a sizer for seating gas checks. were can i get hold of a push through sizer in cal .460 or smaller if necessary?

//Kristoffer[/QUOTE]

Not to do Buckshot out of any business, but if you don't want to size your boolits, you can also seat checks with one of the NOE gas check seaters. You do have at least the two options.

onesonek
05-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks!

I guess i will have to slug the bore!

//Kristoffer

.001" -.002" over groove dia., not bore dia., is the general rule of thumb. Then it kind of depends on the throat dia. as well,,,, as in how much over groove it will take. Some throats may be larger, some maybe tighter. But for most part, if the throat is say, .460", and groove is .458", I would size to .4595". As you thought, get your bore, groove, along with throat dimensions, and go from there.
I have gone to Buckshot as well, and think highly of his work!! But you can also get a Lee push through as an option, in .457-.458", and open it up yourself a little at a time untill you get where you want to be. I have done that just using a long shanked 1/4" bolt wrapped with 600-800 grit paper. If you have to open it up a fair amount to start with (over say .001"), then start with 400 grit, and finish with 6-800 grit. Just go slow and easy, it don't take all that long, and I check with both soft and hard slugs, as the harder the alloy, the more spring back you will get. It's not a lot, but enough if you run extremely tight tolerence's with a dead soft, going with a harder alloy could be a bit tighter than wanted.

sffar
05-30-2011, 08:58 AM
That's real good to know Ranch Dog stocks that .460 sizer, and at a reasonable price!

Kristoffer
05-30-2011, 01:43 PM
.001" -.002" over groove dia., not bore dia., is the general rule of thumb. Then it kind of depends on the throat dia. as well,,,, as in how much over groove it will take. Some throats may be larger, some maybe tighter. But for most part, if the throat is say, .460", and groove is .458", I would size to .4595". As you thought, get your bore, groove, along with throat dimensions, and go from there.
I have gone to Buckshot as well, and think highly of his work!! But you can also get a Lee push through as an option, in .457-.458", and open it up yourself a little at a time untill you get where you want to be. I have done that just using a long shanked 1/4" bolt wrapped with 600-800 grit paper. If you have to open it up a fair amount to start with (over say .001"), then start with 400 grit, and finish with 6-800 grit. Just go slow and easy, it don't take all that long, and I check with both soft and hard slugs, as the harder the alloy, the more spring back you will get. It's not a lot, but enough if you run extremely tight tolerence's with a dead soft, going with a harder alloy could be a bit tighter than wanted.

sorry i mean groove diameter, i have some language difficulties ;-)

I am really a beginner in this. I don't know how to measure the troat?

I slugged the bore with a sinker and that got me confused. The measure was 11.33mm or 0.446" it was measured with a high quality micrometer so i donīt doubt the numbers. I wonder if i did something wrong when i slugged the bore or if it really could be that tight?

//Kristoffer

Kristoffer
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM

//Kristoffer

Not to do Buckshot out of any business, but if you don't want to size your boolits, you can also seat checks with one of the NOE gas check seaters. You do have at least the two options.[/QUOTE]

I have a NOE gas check seater that i totally forgot of [smilie=1:

//Kristoffer

Kristoffer
05-31-2011, 04:05 PM

I slugged the bore with a sinker and that got me confused. The measure was 11.33mm or 0.446" it was measured with a high quality micrometer so i donīt doubt the numbers. I wonder if i did something wrong when i slugged the bore or if it really could be that tight?

//Kristoffer

Did it again and hopefully right this time. helps knowing where and what to measure i guess ;-)

Anyway,this time i got closer to 11.60mm or about .0.4567". Halfway trough the barrel the slug required very little force so i guess it's wider there.

Whats your opinion in sizing? .459"?

//Kristoffer

Mk42gunner
06-01-2011, 04:47 AM
If you are going to use a Lee type push through sizer in your reloading press, I would start with a .458" and try a few, then lap it out like onesonek suggests, if needed. You might be happy with the .458" diameter.

Robert

Andy_P
06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
You don't have to limit yourself to 0.001" or even 0.002" over groove diameter - if your chamber has sufficient clearance to accomodate bullets this size or even a bit larger, and the bullet will chamber at the OAL you choose, you're good to go. I regularly shoot 0.460" cast bullets through a 0.457" bore.

Lee sells a 0.457" which is a real puzzler, as in practically every 45 Cal I have owned, a 0.458" would have been much better. You can lap it out as suggested, but IMO Lee should consider dropping the 0.457" and adopting the 0.458" - or offer both. As pointed out, Ranch Dog sells a 0.460", so between the two, you should be set.

onesonek
06-01-2011, 08:33 AM

//Kristoffer

No need to be sorry Kristoffer! That is common mistake or misnomer. I was just clearing the air so to speak. Was not my intention to be critical. And I'm new to this also, so don't feel alone!!!!!

There are a few ways to slug the throat if you wish to do so. But I just take a slightly oversized slug, and tap into throat from the breech end. I use a slug long enough, so I can see the case neck, throat, and the leade of the lands.

As for your last measurement, the suggestion fo sizing to .458" and seeing how that shoots, would be a start. You can adjust bigger, later if need be. But also, if the round chambers, and shoots well as cast at .460 +/-, well then there isn't much concern on sizing.

Kristoffer
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I think i will buy both a .458 and a .459 sizer and test which shoots the best. As the mold supposedly drops bullets in .460 i guess i will be covered with that ;)

Again big thanks to you all!

//Kristoffer

rintinglen
06-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Try before you buy! You may well find you don't need either and that will add a few more Kroner to the powder and primer fund.

Kristoffer
06-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess i could do that but i needed handles for the molds so i bought sizer dies also. If i don't buy them i'm sure i will need them ;)

//Kristoffer

Kristoffer
08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
I shot my first cast bullets yesterday :). I only got hold of a .459 sizer but i seems to work ok and gets the GC:s on pretty tight it seems ;) Pan lubing with white label 50/50 Bees Wax which i was recommended.

No real precision test so far but with the (not so good) open sights on the No.1 i got them grouped alright at close range. Also, no leading, or at least, none that i could feel. I dont know how long buildup would take if something was wrong?

Next step is mounting the scope (aimpoint) and looking for precision!

Thank you guys for all help!

//Kristoffer