PDA

View Full Version : slowest powder

steg
05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
What would be recomended for a very slow powder to use with the LEE 1oz slug? I'm playing with a marlin goose gun with the barrel left full length, Got to play with it yesterday a little, just using the bead front sight, it was hitting pretty close, so I think there's some hope there, still didn't get the scope mounted.
It's also got the tightest choke Iv'e ever seen, it was holding a 16"to18" pattern using 0buck at an estimated 50 yards, this would seem to be detrimental to accuracy with slugs, I have to wait and see.
I was thinking with the slower powder it would work better using that long barrel....................................steg

sargenv
05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Slowest powders for Shotgun are in the range of Blue Dot, SR 4756, Hodgdon Longshot, Ramshot True Blue, and Alliant Steel. The problem is, most of these really slow powders really need more than a 1 ounce payload to perform well and build enough pressure to burn cleanly.. you may want to go towards the more mid range slow burners.. like Unique, SR 7625, Hodgdon HS6, Herco, Accurate arms Solo 1250 and the like.

Johnch
05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Alliant Steel works well even down to a 7/8 oz steel shot load
Never tryed it with slugs
But it has a few quirks

It needs 60-80 Lb of wad pressure to burn best
And will not go through a powder measure for ....crud
So I weigh every charge

I would go with one of the powders listed on the Lee load data

I see they list Blue Dot

If you don't have a copy of the data Lee provides
PM me your email address and I will forward it to you

John

Newtire
06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
If yu are getting great patterns with 00 buck, then I would suspect your choke is more open. Large stuff like buckshot sprays wider (like water does when you close down your garden hose nozzle too tight) when you shoot it in a choke that is really full.

sargenv
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, Steel is funny.. it works well with heavier payloads.. but steel and slugs are kind of different animals.. I'd not really read about the "wad pressure" but figure it just needs to be compressed since it is such a large granule and fluffy..

SuperBlazingSabots
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Greetings to you all, Alliant Steel also needs a magnum primer for proper ignition like
Fed. 209A and a longer barrel will be ideal for Steel powder!
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeDriveKeyData.jpg
Hope it helps.
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

sargenv
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Yep.. I concur with the need for a hot primer.. I loaded some with either Winchester or Rio primers and wound up with loads that went "poof!".

steg
06-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Newtire, the more that I think about it what you say makes sense, I didn't have any shot loads along to try out and see how they perform, and thanks guys for all the info, so far I've only used Unique, and I'm having good luck with it...........................steg

SuperBlazingSabots
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Good morning Steg, Unique is a very good powder, that goes for shotgun, pistol or even rifle
as it is faster burning powder and if I had to only choose one powder for the three above, shotgun, pistol and rifle it would be it!
It would be good in a 18 inch barrel to 24 inch barrel but in a longer barrel of say 30 inch it would start loosing velocity and therefore not good! Just because its a faster burning powder.
Those were my last 2 cents and thanks to you, now I'm broke!
You have a wonderful day.

Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

steg
06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
VdoMemorie, sorry that I broke ya, LOL, now I'm back where I started from, Unique has worked well in both 18 and 26 inch barrels, but as you say it would definitely loose velocity in a 36 inch barrel, looks like i'm in for working up a new load for this shotgun..............steg