PDA

View Full Version : Year of the Cicada

bearcove
05-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Going back to our place in NE Missouri and just realized it is the year for the cicada to come out. Great fun just catch one put it on a hook and YAHOO fish on.

This trip is to take my kids fishing, ages 6-11. Hope the bugs come out while we are there!

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2011, 10:16 PM
When they were here in 1990 we froze 2 5 gal buckets full and sent them to a fisherman in Minnesota. The bait lasted till the water got very hard. Sure caught a lot of fish.

For best results get them as they are heading up something as their skin is still very juicy. Some people have been known to deep fry them and eat them instead of shrimp.

chaos
05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
They are here in numbers EVERY year in Texas. Some years just thicker than others. I HATE those noisy ********

gew98
05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
2007 was a bad year in central Ky for them. they were so bad in my old house's back yard I had to shovel them up and bury them....they really did reek like a dead cow or two in the yard when they died off.

44man
05-27-2011, 07:48 AM
They make tasty snacks while cutting grass! :bigsmyl2:
The male is not so good, kind of hollow. [smilie=s:

winelover
05-27-2011, 08:09 AM
They make tasty snacks while cutting grass! :bigsmyl2:
The male is not so good, kind of hollow. [smilie=s:

Is that the secret to a long active life?

Winelover:coffee:

Freightman
05-27-2011, 05:46 PM
It is so dry here there is none and no mosquitoes as there is no water, record breaking dry not been this dry since the white man started keeping records here. No rain for over 200 days + No snow except last September and that is 10 months ago. Wish I had the bugs as it would mean it had rained.

longranger
05-27-2011, 06:23 PM
The bugs here in Wyoming done packed it up and moved to where the weather suits their clothes.Cold and rain with 177% of "normal" snow pack that has not begun to melt.Mosquitos and Black Flies will be a force to reckon with if the sun comes out. Most of of our decidious trees have barely leafed out and the creeks and rivers are quite full.

Charley
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
They are here in numbers EVERY year in Texas. Some years just thicker than others. I HATE those noisy ********

Starting to see cicada hawks, AKA cicada killers here in the last week or so. Should be a bunch more pretty soon. Big, scary looking solitary wasps.

Ed Barrett
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Plenty of them around here. Those red eyes are looking at me from everything they can climb up onto. The birds are getting all the protein they want to feed their babys, so I guess that's a good thing.

onondaga
05-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I get very emotional about their sound. It is a vivid memory of my childhood. I have lost nearly all of my hearing and can only hear a Cicada if I am within a few yards of them, so when I do hear one it wells me up that there is something I can still hear.

My Grandson can hear the claws of a squirrel on a tree when we hunt, I miss that too.

Gary

bearcove
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Last time the 13 year came out the 7 year hit too we had bunches. Our dogs quit eating dog food after they caught on to eating the bugs. Also got married that summer. Spent the whole summer playing at the lake.

Cicadas will always be a good memory for me too!

higgins
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
If you like fly rod fishing, the cicada hatch is the time to experience lots of big fish on a fly rod because it's the only time I've ever seen carp feeding aggressively. A friend caught a 9 pound carp last weekend on a popping bug. Sadly, the carp seemed to be about all that was feeding, but what a time they had. During out last big hatch my son and I caught carp, largemouth, and big bluegill on any ultralight-size lure that was brown and was either a surface of shallow running lure.

ihmsakiwi
05-29-2011, 03:08 AM
I get very emotional about their sound. It is a vivid memory of my childhood. I have lost nearly all of my hearing and can only hear a Cicada if I am within a few yards of them, so when I do hear one it wells me up that there is something I can still hear.

My Grandson can hear the claws of a squirrel on a tree when we hunt, I miss that too.

Gary

I agree Gary, the Cicada's chorus in Auckland is all about summer for me. That and the sound of the gorse seed pods exploding on the river beds in Canterbury bring back great summer memories from years gone by. Peter.

beagle
05-29-2011, 09:24 PM
My dog sure likes them when they land on the back patio./beagle