PDA

View Full Version : Oops - used magnum primers win .45ACP

nwellons
05-26-2011, 09:04 PM
While priming 100 cases of .45ACP, I ran out of my CCI large pistol primers so I opened a new box and finished priming. After I finished, I noticed they were large Magnum pistol primers.

I am fairly new at reloading but read somewhere that the magnum primers, if used when standard primers are called for, will produce excessive pressure.

Fortunately, I have only primed the cases. Should I just discharge the primers in my 1911, de-cap and reprime?

I am only using the starting load of Accurate #5 because I am babying my 1916 Colt.

Blammer
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
as long as you are not at MaX load for your rounds it'll be fine.

bumpo628
05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Winchester LP primers are good for magnum or standard loads, so I'm sure it won't be a big deal. I know you're using CCI, but I think it is still relevant. That is, as long as you're not near to top end, as stated above.

By the way, you wouldn't need to shoot the primers before you remove them. You can remove live primers and reuse them. I've done it several times. Just make sure that you use eye protection - just in case. You should be using eye protection when priming anyway...

gasboffer
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm using Magnum large pistol primers in .45ACP. (CCI) Couldn,t get regular large pistol primers.
I dropped the powder charge (4.4 gr Bullseye) down to 4.2 gr. No problems.

ilcop22
05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I would, as mentioned above, decap the live primers (use eyes and ears for protection) and re-use them with another load. The CCI Magnum primers burn about 23% hotter than standard primers. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Doby45
05-27-2011, 12:36 AM
You are shooting a 45ACP round that you already said was not near max. Shoot them and be good with life as usual. Some people would have you breaking down 200 rds if you forgot and loaded them while wearing pink underwear instead of the traditional manly black. You aren't dealing with a high pressure monster cartridge, you will be fine.

stubshaft
05-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Shoould not have any negative effects firing the magnum primers.

songdog53
05-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Stay below max loads and shoot them. If you going to max out your loads just don't on these loaded with mag primers. Load them mild and shoot them, what i would do.