PDA

View Full Version : Herters tool -- What is it?

Roundnoser
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a Herters tool, and I don't know what it is. My wife is away with our camera, so I'll try to describe it.

It appears to be used for measuring (possibly) case or COL. It is a cast iron stand that sits on a reloading bench. It has a small triangular base. The base has a threaded hole in the middle that holds a small knurled steel riser (there are three of these risers in increasing hieght (1/4 inch, 1-1/4 inch and 2-1/4 inch). One of these round, steel pieces can be screwed into the base. -- At the top of the stand, a few inches above the base appears to be a micrometer that is held in place by the cast iron stand (much like a die in a press above the shell holder. The entire height, with the micrometer on top as about 7 - 7-1/2 inches.
-- It looks like you'd place a piece of brass or a loaded round onto the little riser piece at the base, and then dial down the micrometer from above until it touches the case mouth or top of the bullet....then read the dial setting. Follow?

Does anyone know what tool I'm talking about? What is it called, and what function does it perform? Not sure if I'm in the right track...I've been doing searches all over the web, and cannot find a description or picture of this thing, and its driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Bent Ramrod
05-26-2011, 10:01 PM
From Herter's Catalog No. 80:

"Herter's Case Gauge Micrometer

Base made of lathe bed cast iron. Micrometer made of finest steel and with micrometer precision. Measures all case lengths to 3 inches. Furnished with 3 ground blocks to measure from 0 to 1 inch, 1 inch to 2 inches and 2 inches to 3 inches. Made with base that sets up on table for fast easy operation. Accurate to .001. Furished with S.A.A.M.I. measurements of case length for all popular cartridges.

Shpg. wt. 3 lbs..................$10.79"

That was a reasonable amount of money in 1970.

Roundnoser
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
BINGO! Thank you BR.

I tried every word search I could think of, but wasn't able to find it. I got this in an equipment buy. Kind of figured what it was for, just didn't notice any discussed or pictured on any site. I'm more of a pistol shooter...not much need to Mic pistol cases for what I use them for!:lol: