PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits in 45 Win Mag?!

MarkK
12-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Has anyone done this? Seems like a hard cast gas checked RN would work great. 230-250 gr behind some WC820? BTW, I have an AMT (IAI) Automag IV. Finicky about certain J-bullet HPs but likes the FMJs. Any mould recs?

Buckshot
12-27-2006, 02:18 AM
..............I have no personal recommendations for load data. However for boolits I'd treat it like a 44 Mag, so far as alloy and GC's. Ie: Hard alloy PB to a certain level and then GC's beyond that. I have a reloading manual with some data in it if you need some of that.

................Buckshot

Bullshop
12-27-2006, 02:20 AM
I have a friend here that converted an m1 carbine to 45 win mag. He has a bunch of 30 carbs he play's with. He was in charge of destroying munitions after Koriea but some how he got a bunch of them home.
Anyway he has been shooting my cast boolits in it. He realy likes the 400gn fngc amoung others.
BIC/BS

Mohillbilly
12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Mark about 12 -14 yrs ago I was use'n WW and a Lee tl swc 230 with alox unsized water quenched unchecked out of a Mark I LAR Grizzly.I don't remember the loads ,but with top loads it would string lead, and after 200 or so rounds there was a little build up in the comp.None the less a poor boy has poor boy ways and with a little less powder (but over starting loads) I made due.It was fun..seems to me I used 296 and or 4227...I also used the standard 230 RN cast with good results, but prefered the swc for target as it is easyer to score on the copy paper that wanted to tear insted of cutt'n clean holes.....