PDA

View Full Version : 405 gr, .44 stupid boolit.

44man
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
After testing with poor results I was dumping the soaked papers at the mill and a boolit fell out that we could not find. This boolit is fairly hard but shows drastic damage even with the light load of 2400. Much baffles me and shows why recovered boolits tell a tale.
The first picture shows a skip at the lands for two places, not on the other side of the boolit.
The second shows a land mark shorter at one spot then the rest.
This boolit turns in penetration and key holes at 50 yards. It is too long, heavy and slow but shows damage when fired.
It can not be spun up, has little energy and only decent penetration.

Larry Gibson
05-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Good example of what "inertia" is and Newton's law that bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. I've alwyas thought a 300 gr bullet was a little much for the .44 but a 400 gr bullet? Think I'll stick to my piddling 250 -270 gr bullets as 44man has given me ample evidence not to try the 400s.

Larry Gibson

Moonie
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM
It is my understanding that heavier boolits will tend to resist the rifling twist and show wider grooves towards the nose as a result. The first one is rather extreme and rather surprising looking.

44man
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
It is my understanding that heavier boolits will tend to resist the rifling twist and show wider grooves towards the nose as a result. The first one is rather extreme and rather surprising looking.
Yes, but why only on one side? The other side does not show this. I can't figure out the skip. Why would a boolit stutter on one side?
The reason for the tests were to confirm too much is no good and to dispute posts on another site.

44man
05-26-2011, 11:27 AM
It might be slump and nose bend.

subsonic
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks like the nose has "rivetted", either from impact dammage or some slumping. Nose appears to have been pushed backward and rotated slightly clockwise while it was happening, or the nose stayed put and the base moved....

Definitely interesting!

subsonic
05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Can you post a higher resolution pic of image 1? I want to see where the rifling changes abruptly. Could the nose have been pushed back on one side only?

Thumbcocker
05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
It's none of my business but you might want to rethink the name. I just don't know how well the .44 stupid will sell. ;)

Longwood
05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Have you checked the alignment of your chambers to your barrel?
On my Dan Wesson 44 mag, I had one chamber marked that I never bothered to load because I got so many flyers from it.
You may already know that there are people that have the tools to check for exact registering of the cylinders and alignment of each of the chambers bore in relation to the barrel.

44man
05-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Have you checked the alignment of your chambers to your barrel?
On my Dan Wesson 44 mag, I had one chamber marked that I never bothered to load because I got so many flyers from it.
You may already know that there are people that have the tools to check for exact registering of the cylinders and alignment of each of the chambers bore in relation to the barrel.
Super Redhawk that is very accurate and this is the only boolit to show this. All other weights were fine.
The nose damage was from the paper but I suspect sideways deformation in the gun.
I tried my best with my old camera and have nothing better. Even on close ups, I can only get so close or get a red light and no focus.
I like a little heavier boolit but no matter, there is a limit.

Bass Ackward
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Minus perfect alignment, forcing cone length can be critical. My guess is that bullet length exceeded the forcing cone length for a certain chamber and the bullet had to bend and entered the bore crooked. Once it cleared the throat, it tried to realign and adjusted.

Shoot it a little more and it will either wear the cone or the notch to what it needs and get back to a harmonious condition.

Inertia and momentum. Striking the same material at the same velocity, more nose damage will occur with a heavier bullet. It's the reverse of acceleration as force is accumulative on the nose.

44man
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Not one chamber Bass, I am sure all the other boolits like it are the same. I will have them back tomorrow for inspection along with the other weight ones.
This thing is so long it is in the brass when half way down the bore! :mrgreen:

Longwood
05-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Not one chamber Bass, I am sure all the other boolits like it are the same. I will have them back tomorrow for inspection along with the other weight ones.
This thing is so long it is in the brass when half way down the bore! :mrgreen:

It sort of looks like the nose of the bullet may be twisting some while the rest of the bullet is still in the cylinder and has not caught up to the nose yet. :-|
The leading (first, front,) rifling mark is straight instead of at the angle of the rifling in the barrel is what makes me think that.

Dammit i'm mad, is Dammit i'm mad, spelled backwards.

Longwood
05-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Can you post a higher resolution pic of image 1? I want to see where the rifling changes abruptly. Could the nose have been pushed back on one side only?

Save the photos into a folder in your pictures on your computer then you can zoom right in on them.

44man
05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Save the photos into a folder in your pictures on your computer then you can zoom right in on them.
I do but there is no way to focus a picture. Enlarging makes them worse. Not enough mega pixels in my camera.

9.3X62AL
05-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Interesting info, 44. The British ran a 200 grain long-nosed boolit (see NEI #169A) in their 38 S&W at rather low speeds, and they are longer than the cases they get seated into......but still run point-forward and with reasonable accuracy. All things have limits, though.

olafhardt
06-15-2011, 02:22 AM
On this forum we call this a "stoopid boolit".

Whitworth
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
On this forum we call this a "stoopid boolit".

LOL! Good catch!