PDA

View Full Version : ? ? Tell me about this scale ? ?

Ben
05-25-2011, 10:31 PM
MidWay has cut the price on this one dramatically .

Is it because nobody will buy it ? ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=175512

357 Voodoo
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
ben they put that scale on sale about once a year. i purchased one last year at that sale price.

I like it for quick checks on boolit weight. It's not a bad little scale for the price

williamwaco
05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I have no idea if the scale is good, bad, or indifferent.

I do know this from many years of shopping.

When an electronic device of any type has been around for several years and then suddenly goes "on sale" at large discounts at multiple vendors - The manufacturer is bringing out a new model that will be better and usually cheaper. The new model will make the older model unsaleable.

When this happens, the manufacturer will offer incentives to the retailer to dump the old model so they will not get stuck with it. If you don't care about which model you own and don't care about owning the latest and greatest, you can some times get a really good deal on "last years" model.

Ben
05-25-2011, 10:48 PM
The people that have " rated " the scale gave it fairly high marks ? ?

badbob454
05-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Read the bad ratings 3 stars .. Some of the tenths of a grain do not show like skips from 5.7 to 5.9 so extreme accuracy would be out ..

btroj
05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I prefer a balance beam for powder. The electric scale I have just didn't seem to settle down. I want to feel comfortable with powder charge.
If I was going to weigh bullets to sort them I would definitely use a digital scale. Way faster. .1 gr off not a big deal there to me.
Comes down to whether you want accuracy or speed. I prefer accuracy for powder, speed for everything else.

Brad

noylj
05-26-2011, 01:24 PM
btroj:
Unless you have calibrated your beam, you have no idea how accurate it is.
You do, from your post, feel that it is repeatable, but that is not the same as accurate.
Any beam with magnetic or oil dampening will be off by the factor of the dampening effect that will stop the beam at a different point then where it would naturally settle.
In fact, all analytical beam balances had NO dampening and you read the scale for how far the swing was to the right and to the left and only had the "right" weight when the swings were equal.
At that point, you knew the weight and you lifted the beam up and off the fulcrum.

Doby45
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Ben that scale would be just fine. I have only ever used the Franklin Arsenal electronic scales and I have never had a problem with them.

onondaga
05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I got that scale on sale last year for $2 less! I use it for weighing boolits and I also use it for weighing powder charges for .458 WM. The scale checks a little better than .2 grains Plus/Minus for me when checked against my RCBS beam scale. I'd say that is fine for general rifle loads. I'd be pickier with small pistol charges or match grade ammo.

I am happy with it and would buy another one just like it if it was lost.

The user comments are mixed about using that scale with a powder trickle. I found no difficulty at all.

It does favor some numbers but they are only a .1 grain. You can see this in a group of boolits I weighted and sorted by .1 grain increments:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/BellCurve.jpg

Gary

Ben
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks all,

Sounds like for sorting cast bullets, that it might work OK.

I think for weighing powder however, that I trust gravity more.
So for weighing powder, I'll probably stick with my balance beam scale.

Thanks,
Ben

jcw1970
05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
i bought that one last year to replace the model before it. i use it to check boolit weights. i found that if you calibrate it every time you use it, it works much better.

nes4ever69
05-27-2011, 05:27 PM
works great for quick checking, quick double check.

Dutchman
05-28-2011, 01:43 AM
I got this off ebay for under $20. It came straight from China.

I sort my cast bullets to be no more than 1 grain deviation. Anything more gets tossed back in the pot.

capacity is 20 grams = 308 grains and .001 gram accuracy = .015 grains.

This was the most sensitive digital scale I found for the money. If I want to use it for light handgun powder charges I don't have to worry about the .1 grain accuracy. I'm getting 10x better than that.

this boolit is Lyman 266673 for the 6.5 Swede...
http://images55.fotki.com/v268/photos/4/28344/9430776/DSCF2091cb-vi.jpg

Dutch

ColColt
05-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I have the DS-750 but mostly use it to check boolit weight. My main scale, an Ohaus DU-O-Measure is most accurate but on occasion I'll check with check weights and dump a charge into the pan of the DS-750 just for verification. I've had no problem with the electronic scale...small but precise. I can't vouch for it's longevity as I haven't had it the years I've had the others.

NoDakJak
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
I purchased one of these a while back and consider it the most fantastic time saver when weighing boolits. I have a half dozen beam scales for weighing powder although my old 505 does yeoman service for at least 98% of my loading. Neil

azcruiser
06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
measuring + - 1 1/10 of a grain will make you go crazy and does it matter ? But for 17 bucks
why not .

broomhandle
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Sir,

I don't know about that model but my pal had a REAL Problem with powder charges not measuring correctly, when the battery got low on his Franklin scale!

He uses that one for quick bullet checks! He has a plug in scale & the old beam scale for powder!

Best of luck,
broomhandle

Doby45
06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
If the battery is low and you can tell because your scale is acting stupid, replace the battery. I had a friend who had a car that would stop running when it had no gas in the tank. Weirdest thing..

buck1
06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks all,

Sounds like for sorting cast bullets, that it might work OK.

Thanks,
Ben

I agree.:drinks:

Ben
06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I decided to order a set of the scales ( Frankford
Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scales ) from MidWay.

I weighed 5 different Sierra 155 gr. Match King
HP bullets., each one of them was dead nuts on 155 grs.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Electronic%20Scales/0022-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Electronic%20Scales/0032.jpg

canyon-ghost
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Guys, maybe nobody has noticed this but, I think Frankford Arsenal and Tipton products are in-house companies at Midway USA. They seem to all come back to Battenfeld Industries for the major investment company. You'll find the best deals at Midway on Tipton products and Frankford Arsenal products.

Ron