PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a couple Lyman Molds...HELP!!

rbertalotto
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Where are you folks buying Lyman molds and casting accessories.........

Midway is out of stock on five Lyman items I want to buy. Seems they are ALWAYS out of stock on just about everything I need these days.....

Natchez's web site is one of the most horrible sites I've ever had the chance to use. You need three GPS units and seeing eye dog to find your way around. I spent 20 minutes there and still couldn't find the Lyman molds I was looking for......

MidSouth won't ship boolit molds to Massachusetts. Something about they are afraid they will be sued for shipping "bullet making devices to a Communist Country" or some nonsense......

So where can I go to buy a couple molds, a set of handles and a die.....?

ColColt
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Try Graf & Sons. I use them a lot for a variety of items.

http://www.grafs.com/

stubert
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Lyman will sell on-line, however you usually pay full retail. How bad do you want them? But, if there is a problem , purchasing from the manufacturer makes warranty issues alot easier to deal with.

rbertalotto
05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I just went to Graf & Sons and they are out of stock on three of the four things I need.........How can everyone be out of stock on casting supplies. I thought we were in a recession!

Here's what I'm looking for:

Lyman Mold #457132 (535g Postell )
Lyman Mold # 457125 (500g Round Nose)
Lyman Handles for above
Lyman 45-90 / 45-70 neck sizing die

cbrick
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
For the die try RCBS. Huntingtons most always has everything RCBS in stock. You could also see what RCBS has to offer for molds, probably will have a bullet very close to what your looking for.

Huntington (http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_rcbs.html)

Rick

onondaga
05-26-2011, 01:34 AM
When an item is "out of stock, Backorder OK" At Midway, click the box next to "add to cart" that says "Notify Me" and Midway will email you when it is in stock immediately. I suspect they also order the product when the box is checked as you usually hear from them in a week or so.

If you don't have an account at Midway, open one, they give you a sale on your birthday, I love that, Just used mine. They will then notify you whenever any item on your "wish list"is on sale too.

Gary

bpratl
05-26-2011, 06:17 AM
If you don't have an account at Midway, open one, they give you a sale on your birthday, I love that, Just used mine. They will then notify you whenever any item on your "wish list"is on sale too.
Gary

Their Birthday sale is a great sales tool,last Feb I saved $50.00 and ended up buying some things that I may never use.:???:

rbertalotto
05-26-2011, 07:33 AM
I like Midway. I like what Larry Potterfield contributes to the Shooting Sports. I try to buy from them as much as possible.
But last night I wrote them a letter complaining about the "Out of Stock" situation. In the last month I've been buying lots of casting supplies to feed this new habit you folks got me involved with. I showed them how nearly 60% of the things I tried to purchase were OoS.
Not sure where the problem is, but hopefully they will resolve it.

btroj
05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
It is the reality of business today. Best way to improve profitability is to reduce inventory. I have no idea what the dollar value of Midways inventory but think it the sheer number of items they sell. I bet they have some items they don't get in until ordered.
I was looking for a recoil spring for my 1911, backordered. Then again, think of how many of these pistols are out there, Wolff can only make em so fast. I can wait.

Welcome to business today. I have a feeling we are going to see more and more of this. The economic downturn has made businesses really look hard at expenses. Inventory is a huge one.

bhn22
05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
There are a lot of new Lyman moulds on Gunbroker, so many that they almost choke the system. Search "Reloading" for both "molds" & "moulds". They're not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a lot there.

Moonie
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
wow, no one has bothered to mentioned the QC issues that Lyman is having currently. I thought most were avoiding Lyman until their QC issues were resolved.

rbertalotto
05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow......Hadn't heard any of this........A real issue?

Maybe I should bid on the older Lyman molds that are on Ebay right now.

Echo
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
+1, Moonie - I am not buying any more Lyman molds. Might buy an Ideal mold on eBay, but not Lyman. From now on, it's custom, or RCBS.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
There are some serious QC issues with Lyman molds and you should be aware that it has been going on for some time. You take a chance that their molds can show up being undersized and that aloneis a problematical situation. Moreover some of Lyman's thinking and business practices are still back in the Jurrassic age. But its your call. LLS

mooman76
05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Natchez site is a pita to use and one would think a big company like that would have changed it by now. It's been that way a long time. Best way if you want to deal with them is get a catalog and look up items by catalog # and order. Not the best way but the best way there. I usually order midway myself and the Midsouthshooter.

adrians
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
most, not all of my moulds/molds are from the ideal---lyman "family", almost all are used e-bay buys and i agree with statements about modern day lyman quality it,s nowhere near as good as it's older brother ideal.
i can just look at some of my molds and see the differance between the two.
BUT if you keep lurking around e-bay/gunbroker, you'll find what you need or want eventually.
if you need it right now you can get on a back-order list [smilie=1:.
it seems nowadays waiting is the name of the game ,, but i,m a patient fella.:evil:[smilie=b::twisted:.
+1 for graf & sons..

MtGun44
05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I would be surprised if MidwayUSA had less than $5-10 million in inventory at any one time.

Bill