PDA

View Full Version : Measuring chamber throats in my Vaquero

David LaPell
05-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I still have to measure them, but what do the cylinder throats for the older style Vaquero's in .45 Colt normally measure out to?

BwBrown
05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
My understanding is that it depends on what day of the week, cosmic rays, and some math formula too long to print.

I don't have the "bore pin set" to gauge the throats - but the bullet pass test is a pretty fair test - in my experience more accurate than trying to use a caliper type measuring tool.

I have three Ruger 45 colts, the two SA pieces (both purchased used) each measure at least .452 - both sized lead and factory jacket bullets pass through with a nice smooth fit. Clearly they have already been reamed, or they came from the factory that way.

My Redhawk, bought new is quite tight - .451 slugs cannot be pushed through by hand. I've just received my .4525 reamer from Brownell's to rectify the situation.

I think everyone's experience will vary. There are extensive threads and a lot of great information over on rugerforum.net A simple search will keep you reading all night!
Bob

deltaenterprizes
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Try posting this in the gunsmithing section.