PDA

View Full Version : F1 Shooting Chrony Help

jma1965
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a black Shooting Chrony with the display attached with a cable. When I turn it on it gives a Err 1 code right away. Anyone have this problem. I put a new battery in it to make sure that it wasn't that.

[smilie=1:

Von Gruff
05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Dose it read the first shot fired over it.

Von Gruff.

canyon-ghost
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
It isn't warmed up yet

Ron

dnotarianni
05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
And if you shoot jacketed bullets over it color the tips with a sharpie. Depending on the day mine won't read Jacketed without the tips colored.. Usually on bright sunny days. Another trick I do sometimes in bright sun is to tape a paper target over the plastic screens to difuse the sun light if I get error messages.
Dave

JIMinPHX
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
They often read an error when you power them up. Once you take the first shot across the sensors, it should clear the error & start working normally.

ilcop22
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
+1 to what Jim said. Are you using it indoors or outdoors?

jma1965
05-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Was going to use it indoors, but that opportunity has passed, but if it is the norm, I will take it with me next outing and see if it works.

Thanks Booliters........:)

uscra112
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Mine won't work at all indoors under florescent lights. Gotta be incandescent, for as long as the blankety-blank EPA lets us have them.

Outdoors, I do find that it needs just the right amount of light. At dusk it quits working, and I get lots of errors in very bright sun.

Not the most user-friendly gadget, the Chrony, but I could afford it, which means more $$ for primers and powder.

When I unlimber at the range, I set it up first thing, and press the reset a few times. By the time I have targets hung, bags and scope arranged, etc., it has usually decided to reset itself and be cooperative.

JIMinPHX
05-27-2011, 03:38 AM
On cloudy bright days, the sky screens are not needed. If you can see the sun, you need them. When dusk starts to approach, I find that I need to shoot closer to the sensors to get a good reading. Unfortunately, one day I ran out to the range just at dusk to test fire a few quick shots with a mil-surp rifle that had a high post front sight & I forgot to compensate for that when trying to shoot just an inch above the sensors. As a result, I can no longer brag that after 20+ years with the same Chrony, I've never shot one. It did serve me well for over 20 years & it filled 3 binders with test targets before meeting it's demise in the usual way.

leadman
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Jim, I had a 22 cal gas check take out the display on my F-1 years ago. Chrony replaced it with another with the display on the bench for a decent price. you may want to call them.

JIMinPHX
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip off Mark. I already called them & traded it on on a F-1 Master several months ago. The master has most of the gizmos on a remote box. If that one gets shot, it's much less expensive to repair. The guys at Chrony are pretty reasonable folks to deal with.