PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Prot-X-Bore as a boat tail?

ohland
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
If a Prot-X bullet was cast without a zinc washer, would the angled base in the bullet act as a boat tail? If we use plain base and GC bullets without GCs, why not use a Prot-X without the washer?

358500 looks interesting. TC, 358, 135gr. The 357514 is a 156gr, might be better.

:not listening:

MtGun44
05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Boat tails make a small difference at rifle velocities over distances like 300 yds or greater.
The differences are like 2-3" at 300 yds or so.

Are planning on doing some shooting with this boolit where this will be significant?

Bill

Maineboy
05-26-2011, 03:34 AM
I have both 38 and 44 caliber flavors of the Prot-X-Bore molds that were given to me over 30 years ago. I could not understand what their purpose in life was until I learned about them on the old Shooters board. I never owned any of the washers so I just ignored them until I did some expirementing some years back with the .44 caliber in my old flat top Blackhawk. I lubed them with LLA and shot them in mag cases with a light charge of Unique. It wasn't a project worth further development as they shot all over the place. I still have about 15 loaded cases somewhere.

ohland
05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
It wasn't a project worth further development as they shot all over the place. I still have about 15 loaded cases somewhere.

I surfed a bit, the problem with the zinc washers was consistency, off center washers didn't scrape fouling. Corbin has Base-Guard, which is similar to the Prot-X-Bore, except the washers are a slight cone shape. Upon firing, the washer is pushed flat, and expands out to the bore.

http://www.corbins.com/lead.htm#bgs

Maineboy
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I surfed a bit, the problem with the zinc washers was consistency, off center washers didn't scrape fouling. Corbin has Base-Guard, which is similar to the Prot-X-Bore, except the washers are a slight cone shape. Upon firing, the washer is pushed flat, and expands out to the bore.

http://www.corbins.com/lead.htm#bgs

I believe the problem was that I shot them without the washers. I don't think the boolit was intended for use that way.

ohland
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I believe the problem was that I shot them without the washers. I don't think the boolit was intended for use that way.

What was the velocity? Gas cutting would increase once the bullet hardness is over-matched. Revolver?

My thought is to try it in a 357 Mag or Max rifle, so there is no cylinder gap. Keep velocity down to about 1,600 fps or so.

Maineboy
05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I really don't know what the velocity was, probably 1000fps or less. I use 8 grains of Unique as a standard light load in 44 mag cases so I'm guessing that's what the charge was. If I can find the remaining cartridges, I'll pull a boolit and weigh the powder.