PDA

View Full Version : Brass won't behave.

wallenba
05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
A while back I bought some PRVI 7.5 Swiss Ammo, pulled the bullets to try my cast boolits. After seating them I check the concentricity before crimping and after. After crimping I found the necks tipped off center in a few. My crimp is very light, RCBS seating die was used with the seater stem removed. It keeps happening, so I stopped after about 10 rounds, and I'll fireform them without crimping. I ended up ordering some $$$Norma$$$:shock: and a Lee FCD.
Does this brand/cartridge have a weakness for this? Or could there be another reason?:veryconfu

3006guns
05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I noticed while reloading some Privi 7.7 Jap brass that the neck looked just slightly thinner on one side. This was just after trimming so it may have been an optical illusion and I didn't have a ball mic handy to verify it. All of my boolits seemed to load normally however. I think I'd try fireforming and check again afterwards.

Gunnut 45/454
05-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I'd try an annealing them before loading! Do a total tear down including deprime!;-)

nicholst55
05-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Pulling jacketed bullets, especially with a collet puller, often distorts the case necks just a bit. I discovered that years ago when I loaded some dummy ammo for a gunsmith to use when chambering a custom barrel. I pulled the bullets from factory ammo, dumped the powder, deprimed, and then seated the new bullets in the brass and sent them off. The gunsmith called me to say that he would have to charge me extra to cut that much runout in the chamber!

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the cause in your case, but it is something to consider.

wallenba
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Pulling jacketed bullets, especially with a collet puller, often distorts the case necks just a bit. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the cause in your case, but it is something to consider.

That thought was in the back of my mind, but I was also thinking about the quality of this stuff too.

wallenba
05-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd try an annealing them before loading! Do a total tear down including deprime!;-)

Probably will do that. With an inertia hammer puller this time too, as I'd like to save these cast boolits. My Norma brass will be here tomorrow though.

MtGun44
05-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I have been using PRVI brass (both PPN headstamp and GRAF, which is made by them)
for years, excellent accy in Swiss match shooting. Can't say anything about current production,
but old stuff is excellent. I'd be surprised if their QC went to heck, but it could happen.

Bill