PDA

View Full Version : Making a simple charge bar for old shotshell press

seagiant
05-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi,
I bought an old DL-300 shotshell reloader from E-bay and when it arrived there were a few small surprises! One of them was the charge bar. It has a wheel or bearing in a slot in the back of the bar that rides on a upright cam that makes the bar slide in and out dropping powder and shot automaticly as the shellholder rides up and down. The old wheel for the bar was actually a ball bearing and was so old that the outer race had cracked! I thought a wheel of sorts with a outer steel part to ride against the steel cam and then a bronze part to ride on the axle would work better. No real heavy torque or speed involved so thats what I did. I was originally going to make the powder part of the bar take MEC bushings but decided to just drill the hole to drop the load that I use for everything with Clays powder.

As you can see in the pics I decided to use some bronze 1 1/4" sq. bar that I had. The original bar was aluminum or some type of very light metal. I cut the bar then milled so I had a tighter fit than the original but still with enough room to work correctly. Next I milled the slot that the cam rides in and the where the wheel goes. Then I made the steel wheel with the bronze insert for a press fit. Although I have a 30T press for this I hit the numbers right and all I used for the press fit was a BFH and it was good to go! Oh yea you can see the drilling of the shot and powder holes. I ran out of room for the final pics so I will do another post!

seagiant
05-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi,
Ok this is the last couple of pics showing the bar in its new home! Not a hard project but gratifying and the loader works smoother than before!

Westwindmike
05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I am in awe of you guys that can do machining stuff!!!

scrapcan
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
seagiant,

You should cut that bar to take hornady bushing size. Or use the hornady busing size and the charge table to make other bars. The hornady bushing size is based on diameter of hole.

seagiant
05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi,
Yes I could but the charge bars on the older 300 model are not as big as the 366 and I would only have about 1/16" on each side of the bar after drilling the hole. On the other hand the MEC bushings are made for the smaller bars and would work and still leave plenty of material on each side of bar for strength. The way it is now is I could still open it up for MEC bushings when ever I want. I want to load with it first and see how it does!

scrapcan
05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Yep it makes for a thin section at the sides, but the one I had did not have any issues when opened to use current hornady bushings.

Really what I should have relayed was the bushing number is the insdie diameter of the cavity. Tha twill let you make an educate guess on the hole size from a current bushing table. Sorry about that.

Nice loader by the way. I am glad others like the old tools also.

W.R.Buchanan
05-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Your charge bar looks nice. It probably works better than the original too.

It is interesting that the newer machines have a slot in the cam IE: a push pull cam, and no return spring on the charge bar.

Did your machine have rubber garden hose washers for seals riding on the top of the charge bar that were located in a counter bore beneath the hoppers? That would be a good mod if it doesn't already have them as the washers act as wipers so powder doesn't get loose and foul up the charge bar.

Randy

seagiant
05-27-2011, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=W.R.Buchanan;1282729]Your charge bar looks nice. It probably works better than the original too.
Hi Randy,
Seeing how that comes from a real machinist,I'll take that as a compliment! Yes it seems to work smoother. The material they used for the original was very light and I wondered if the bronze bar would be to heavy but I think now they used the lighter material from cost considerations more than by design! I wouldn't of used bronze except I had some laying around!

I will have to take the top apart and look inside for the rubber wipers. I'm thinking they are not there, but I'll check might be a good upgrade which I'm all for!