PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new 7MM TCU Barrel

donald duck
05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I am having a 7 MM TCU Barrel installed on a Savage Axis (Edge). My gunsmith has ordered the barrel from Shilen. I understand they have an excellent reputation for quality but it has been ordered since before Christmas and it is taking forever to get the barrel. Has anyone else had an experience with getting a barrel from Shilen????? I was hoping to have the rifle to shoot this summer but am afraid the snow will fall before it ever arrives.

jerry_from_ct
05-24-2011, 08:43 PM
What's the twist rate ?, interesting choice, I like the 7TCU.
IIRC, one gun mag editor did the same conversion for a light recoiling deer round.

As far as Shilen, never bought one, but have heard good things................ their probably looking for a reamer. The 7 TCU isn't considered the darling it once was, lots of alternatives since it's heyday.

quilbilly
06-13-2011, 01:03 AM
You shouldn't have too much trouble getting your new barrel to shoot well quickly even if the snow flies. I have a 7mm TCU in both the carbine and 10" barrel Contenders. It is a fine cartridge for cougar and deer at ranges under 200 yards with CB's. I tried lots of loads and will continue to try others but 19 gr of 4198 gets sub MOA groups for my carbine and an MV of 1950 using the Lee 130 gr boolit.

Ben
06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Look at # 23...............this wasn't shot in a 7 mm TCU, but was shot out of my 7 X 57.
I'd recommend the Lee 7 mm Soup Can. It is a shooter for me !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117350&page=2

Nobade
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Sometimes Shilen can be a bit slow. There's no reason your 'smith can't call them up and ask where the barrel is. Occasionally I will wait a really long time, then call them to remind them of the order and I'll have it the next day.

You'll like the TCU in a rifle. I built my daughter one on a Tikka action, and she uses it for the local cast bullet matches as well as highpower silhouette when we get to travel to shoots. It is about the perfect size for a cast bullet rifle, being able to shoot very well with full power loads and cast bullets. The 160gr. SAECO will take 500M rams when launched at 2250 fps.

bobthenailer
06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
I never had any problem getting Shilen barrels ! i had Shilen put on one rifle for me in the 70s and bought the other 3 Shilen barrels from Brownells that i had a local gunsmith install . in the 80s
My barrels were all match grade and the accuracy is excellent in every one . AE 350 rem mag, 7mm mag, 22x250 and 7mm ihmsa

jblee10
01-02-2012, 12:19 AM
I ordered a 300/221 barrel from Shilen. When I ordered it the helpful woman on the phone told me how long it would be to get to my order, before even accepting my order. As I recall it was about 120 days. And her time frame and everything else were right on. She kept nothing hidden from me and your smith should already have a time frame.
I think you'll be happy when it comes. My barrel was worth the wait. It looks just like the blueing on the factory barrel. And it shoots great. From the first group it was sub moa with jword bullets. I've shot cast and had good results, but haven't put them on paper yet.

HotGuns
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I order Shilen barrels a lot, in fact, that is what I use the most.

Shilen, like most manufacturers, are way behind right now. Some of my barrels have taken 4 months, others 2-3 months.

Of note, Midway USA has been selling Shilen barrels in various configurations. I recently spoke to Shilen about ordering a .270 varmint style contour, they in October they told me it would be around March that I got it.

Midway had the exact one I was looking for. I ordered it and it took about two weeks to get it. I threaded it, chambered it and put it on a Ruger M-77. Got it blued and it came out great...and shoots far better than the original sporter barrel that it had.