PDA

View Full Version : XS lever rail on 1895, or skinner peep, scope etc

mebe007
05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
any of you guys here run the xs leverrail on the 1895 marlin, esp the 1895 GBL. im soon to have mine and am stuck between the traditional scope, skinner peep, or the xs rail having the ability to run a peep, traditional scope or the guide scope..

what is your preference. pics always welcome.

pipehand
05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Have the lever rails on an 1895 Guide gun and a 336, both with the xs ghostring rear and the white vertical stripe fronts. Been very happy with them, but have been using them with the ghost rings more, and leave the scopes or dot sights off.

mebe007
05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
How well do they work for you say at 100 yards

45-70 Ranger
05-24-2011, 10:38 PM
mebe007,

I suppose a scope is ok for folks that have a real hard time getting on the target. But even though I wear glasses and am in my 6th decade on this planet, I cannot bear the thought of a scope on my GG. I agree that the stock sights are ok at best in PERFECT lighting, but in general they do leave a lot to be desired! I couldn't see the rear with even average light......let alone in poor lighting!

I opted for a Millet Ser. 100 white outline adjustable rear sight on my piece. This took the sight radius from 14" down to 12", but the fine tuning available from this sight made up for the difference. The stock front sight was polished up to shine like a becon and I have no trouble with this setup.

The ghost rings are fantastic! You will have no problem with them I'm sure, and many here will say the same. They just put your eye right into the sweet spot and your shooting will be good. If I had not already have gone to all the trouble of setting mine up with the Millet, I'd put a peep on my weapon for sure. May still do that as time and money permits. :)

In anything worth doing, it is best left to what you want. The advice here with the members will give you something to look at, but in the final end, it's what makes you comfortable and confident with.

Have fun and be safe!

Wade

mebe007
05-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Well the thing that turns me off on the peep is that I have never used one nor seen one to try so basically I get scared that ill make the wrong decision. I'm so used to the scopes on my other lever rifles.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/mebe007/IMAG0272.jpg

crabo
05-25-2011, 12:43 AM
I've got the XS sight rail on mine. I have a Luepold 1.25x4 30mm on mine. I used Warne QD rings on the scope. I wish I could leave my rear peep sight on, but it has to come off to use the scope.

The peeps work also, but for working up loads, I have to have a scope. You can easily go back and forth to what you need for the situation.

I think you have to get a good cheek weld to shoot quickly and accurately. I put the Cabellas cheekpiece on my lever guns because my face needs it.

btroj
05-25-2011, 07:16 AM
I have Burris rings on my 1895. With the Leupold 1.75-5 scope it works very well for me.
I have a received sight I have used some, I just prefer the scope for hunting. I like the ability to see better in low light that the scope gives.
I personally don't like the looks of the whole scout scope setup. I like a traditional scope mounting so the extended rail is worthless to me.
In the end, you needs to decide what fits your needs and desires. What looks and feels right to you? This is an area where you can't really make a bad decision as long as it meets your needs.

Brad

45-70 Ranger
05-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Sounds like you've answered your own question as to the scope v.s. peep sight issue. Now it's up to finding the right scope to go with this weapon eh??

Wade

winelover
05-25-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm using the XS rail on my 1894 and like the versatility it provides. Mounted their Ghost ring peep but I use a "pipe light" front instead of their white line ramp. I mount a Leo 1 X 5 variable, for "load testing" and for longish hunting situations, in Warne detachable rings. For close work I mount a Armson Reflex in the Scout position. My peep stays on all the time, I just can't use a "flip up" scope cover on the Leo.

Wineloverhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_91704ddcedd0e598b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=956)

bearcove
05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Peep sight only for me on Levers. Scopes for Encore and bolt guns.

Depends on your eyes. Mine are changing so maybe I'll scope a levergun someday. I figure I'll get there soon enough so stick with my peeps as long as possible.

Tatume
05-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I have the half rail with a Lyman aperture sight. My Guide Gun is drilled and tapped on the side. My brother has a later model that is not drilled and tapped, and he has the full length rail with the XS sight built in at the rear. We are both very satisfied.

Matthew 25
05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
What kind of groups are possible with the XS Ghost rings? I just put some on the 1895 but I haven't shot any groups yet (I need a non-hunting load so I can work on groups and not get pummeled). The stock sites can hold 2" groups routinely, do you folks with the XS sights see the same results?

Clinebo
06-03-2011, 02:04 AM
I vote for the ghost rings. The levergun just doesn't look right to me with a scope on it. I tried one on my Win '94 AE and took it off in favor of a peep. My '92 now has a ghost instead of the buckhorn. And my STBL is getting a Skinner. The woods around here nowdays are so grown up with undergrowth there's no need for a scope! Can't see more than 100 yards in most areas anyways.